In search of an answer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In search of an answer

I was unsure do to a lifetime of what I am now considering may have been mis-information about my ancestral heritage. At birth, I was put up for adoption and adopted at the age of 3 months old. My adoptive parents were informed of my ethnic background was one parent is Polish and the other is Hawaiian with a quarter Pilipino. Being of mixed heritage, I am predominantly Fair skinned and even though one side of my biological ancestors are of Hawaiian heritage, I was told only pure blooded Hawaiians could claim to be Hawaiians and because I look ‘white’ and of mixed heritage, I would never be accepted as having Hawaiian ancestry. (I was not told this by my loving adoptive parents, just everyone else) Is this the general feeling of Hawaiians? I truly wish to be able to honor the spirits of my grandparents and their heritage and feel as if part of me is missing and a deep urge to visit the Islands, but not the Hawaiian Islands on the travel pamphlets of ’sun and fun’. Any feedback, positive or negative would be greatly appreciated.
    - Cal Wayne

Re: In search of an answer

Cal,

Don't listen to the stuff that doesn't sit well. I am of similar
    b.g. Have you done much homework (culture, tradition, etc)
    Look at some films and read up. Mo bettah you catch up by
    learning about your heritage, the rest will come naturally.

Comment

I'm not Hawaiian, but the thing about needing 100% Hawaiian blood to be considered Hawaiian is bogus. Almost nobody feels that way. As candyglassy says, your love for and knowledge of the culture will go a long way toward you acceptance as Hawaiian. You've got the blood, now get the culture. Good luck.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Very true. If the only people who could claim to be Hawaiian were the ones with 100% koko, there would be a lot fewer Hawaiians. I am reminded of this story that was in the papers recently, about a part-Hawaiian woman who had been adopted out and recently met her Hawaiian birth father's family.

Comment

First off, I don't have any Hawaiian bloodline. Starting with that, what I'd like to share is that for the most part people are accepted for who they are more than what they are here. As adults that's the rule, but kids will be kids. They can be cruel and separatists. When I was a little kid I thought I was hawaiian since I grew up in a small place on the Big Island called Puako and most of the other kids truly were. My mom could pick me out on the beach 'cause of the blonde hair I had, but other than that I grew up as a 'local'. To me, being Hawaiian compared to lots of the rest of the world is 'Sharing'. In other words a true caring for others... thier needs, opinions and acceptance of lifestyle. Real communal living. Most societies have some people that live this way, but Polynesian Societies are this way. BTW you are Kanaka Maoli. 100% not only because it's in your bloodline, but because you care to find out about it. Aloha.
          Last edited by Menehune Man; January 23, 2006, 12:53 AM. Reason: Fix it up Li'dat
          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Thanks everyone. Your feedback is the first positive feedback I have ever received. I look foward to learning more from everyone here. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by calway65
              [...]Your feedback is the first positive feedback I have ever received.[...]
              This truly breaks my heart. Stick around here. You may not like or agree with everything your read but you will learn and you'll learn from people who know. And occasionally from some who don't!

Comment

Working...
              X