ʻOpihi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ʻOpihi

Pomai, did you ever try it? It is has also been featured the last two years at the Taste of Hawaii on Kauai, and will be again this year.

Comment

Re: Opihi from Ireland

Hi surfingfarmboy, mahalo for the info. The Irish Opihi is all "yellow foot". What kind are coming from the Azores? Did you try either kind? BTW any surf in Rhode Island???

Comment

I love them lightly pounded, dredged in flour, salt and pepper, the flash fried. YUM! They are also great raw, tossed with a light vinaigrette. I had them often in Blackpool, UK, and have had them in Maine, US. Looking forward to trying Hawaii limpets!

off topic, had a few great surf sessions near Little Compton, RI. Cold water and rocky bottom, but only like 10 people out, so it was great!
        flickr

An email from God:
        To: People of Earth
        Date: 9/04/2007
        Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
        God

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
          It's going to take some education of the people that if everybody doesn't stop harvesting the buggers and let the opihi restock themselves, pretty soon no one will have opihi. The tradeoff is: manini kine opihi for maybe 5 more years den pau forever with no ban, or no moa opihi at all for 5 years, den going get bumbucha kine like small kid times later on?
          Aloha Miulang,
          You are absolutely right! It is definitely going to take education, and the managing our native marine resources not only "of the people" but also of our Governor and State decision makers.

Opihi are extremely sensitive marine snails and require a "contaminated free" environment to live. They cannot live in areas where there are excessive biological and chemical contaminations.

Opihis are herbivores eating only algae. They spawn during the seasons that the winds are off shore and the waves are huge and most active, this stimulates the female. In Hawaii that would be during the winter along the coastlines facing north, and during the summer along the coastlines facing south. One female can produce 40,000 eggs!

After spawning the female eggs gets fertalized by the males sperm and tumbled in the surf and become larva. And after a couple of weeks the larva washes up and settle on the rocky reefs and become male “spats”, After 2-3 years some of the Opihi turn female and begin the reproductive cycle. At 5-6 years they are 1 3/4 " - 2 1/4" inch, which is considerd the optimum time to harvest. Opihis have a life span of 10-15 years! They are known environmental indicators.

During my recent “reef scouting” of Hawaii’s coastlines in developed areas I am noticing fewer and fewer spats. This is an indication of poor water quality.

Ever wonder why there are hardly any Opihis, even though Harvesting Opihis is considered one of the MOST dangerous shoreline activities?...

We are ALL going to have to say NO to future “growth” of Hawaii. Yes it will be “hard” just like in the “old days” when our quality of life was much harder, yet richer! When we weren’t so dependant on tourism and all the contamination that Resorts and high rises contribute to the States already over burdened infrastructure that produces majority of the pollutants that gets disposed on our reefs and into our ocean.

We are the care takers of our Islands” It is our responsibility to save and protect our indigenous and beloved Opihis the Makali’i and Koele so that our grandchildren and their grandchildren can enjoy this cultural delicacy and icon.

If the Opihis which can survive severe ocean conditions can’t survive their native Hawaiian habitat, how much longer will it be before our already “endangered” Hawaiian Culture and race becomes extinct due to the degradation of our habitat?

I apologize if this is not the forum for me to voice my concerns and opinions. My opinions are based on family mana'o and lot's of research as well as observation.

Ahui ho!
          Noelani Josselin
          Wailua, Kauai

Comment

I get like a kid waiting for Christmas morning when I know they'll be 'opihi foa eat!

Just last night, there was a large (500+ pax) Graduation party held at the Bishop Museum. The parents made awesome Hawaiian plates for us guards, that we thoroughly enjoyed. Plenty 'Opihi!

Remember when we used to pick Limu out Ewa Beach side?
            Just wanted to add that it was only my Dad and I, so we only took what was for dinner. No more than that.

It's the same thing. It got over harvested and abused, (instead of cutting, people yanked them out) so now no moa!

Please Mr. Opihi picker, no take um all eh.
            Last edited by Menehune Man; June 10, 2007, 08:04 AM. Reason: Add point...
            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
              I love them lightly pounded, dredged in flour, salt and pepper, the flash fried. YUM! They are also great raw, tossed with a light vinaigrette. I had them often in Blackpool, UK, and have had them in Maine, US. Looking forward to trying Hawaii limpets!

off topic, had a few great surf sessions near Little Compton, RI. Cold water and rocky bottom, but only like 10 people out, so it was great!
              Aloha No Tattrat,
              Have you ever tried Opihis raw, straight off of the rocks? I tell you, if the source is good and the conditions is right, the Opihis taste Ono! No need for "camouflage" the flavors, just let the true flavors come through, you can actually "taste the Ocean"
              ... Come to Kauai and I will teach you how to enjoy the true flavors of Opihi by "eating em raw"! unfortunately Oahu (Honolulu) no more much Opihis, NO pick the ones ova there, let them "re populate the reefs" Hawaii no more plenty Opihis like the "UK".

Comment

Menehune Man, do you mean us??? We are supplying the IRISH Opihi that is in the Market City Foodland, in Kapahulu and also in the Ward Street farmers market. Having lived most of our lives in Hawaii we are very conscious not to deplete our source, we do not pick anything smaller than 1,5 inch diameter. Even though we have been approached about it, we refuse to collect the "limu", that has also been over collected in Hawaii. Mahalo for your comments
                Aloha, Opihipickerz

Comment

Re: ?Opihi

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post

Remember when we used to pick Limu out Ewa Beach side?
                  Just wanted to add that it was only my Dad and I, so we only took what was for dinner. No more than that.

It's the same thing. It got over harvested and abused, (instead of cutting, people yanked them out) so now no moa!
                  a big part of the dwindling limu population is the ban on hunting honu. There are now two generations unaccustomed to eating honu, which have gone from endangered to almost a shoreline pest. We need to allow the culling of them again, in season. In fact, everything should be hunted only in season.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by opihipickerz View Post
                    Hi surfingfarmboy, mahalo for the info. The Irish Opihi is all "yellow foot". What kind are coming from the Azores? Did you try either kind? BTW any surf in Rhode Island???
                    I've never sampled either the Irish or Azorian opihi. The Azorian opihi is a hit or miss thing...the Pordagee store that I know sells it, has it for sale perhaps once every three to four weeks. When they do have it for sale, word spreads quick, and their supply is usually sold out pretty quick.

As for the breaks here, well, let's say it's not quite Pupukea or Sunset. There are decent 8-10 foot swells here in the winter, and during nor'easters, we get 20-25 foot beach eroding waves, but you have to really be a radical kine surfer to enjoy that...it's usually about 30 degrees with fierce winds when the breaks are really ripping. Gotta put on the wet suit and pray you don't get drilled. There are plenty of surfers though who are out there when the weather is at it worst...in their case, it's the best weather!

When it's really warm here...maybe for about a week in August (just kidding)...the breaks are pretty weak..it's more like the surf one would find off of Florida.

Comment

Working...
                    X