Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DVD vs VHS

Originally posted by tutusue
    I'm new to DVD technology, within the last year or so. When it comes to new technology I hold out as long as I can and can completely relate to your mom, Craig! More and more my clients are requesting casting sessions on DVD rather than VHS so I finally had to bite the bullet. At home, I'm currently in the process of converting all of my VHS tapes (movies, home videos and my dad's cartoons) to DVD. It's strictly a move to reclaim space so am burning 2-3 movies to a DVD. The home movie and cartoon tapes will go in storage and copies of everything have been sent to my kids. The movie tapes will go to the Waianae library. I'm not much of a movie buff so if I lose DVD quality down the road, no problem. But those cartoons and home movies are treasures.
    tutu...

You do realize that by burning your vhs tapes to DVD...that the "Burnt" DVD's will only be good for a maximum of 5 years?

Please see the thread that was started a couple weeks ago regarding Burnt CD's....
    the same concept applies to DVD's.

You may want to hold onto all those old VHS's after all.

I work in the Digital industry.

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
      With the advancement of DVD become a standard , why do you think movies are still made on VHS? Is it because VHS sales are still high or is it because no distributor has the GUTS to put out a MAJOR release only on DVD. What I mean is if Peter Jackson said that KING KONG was only being put out on DVD, it would make it ok to faze out VHS. BTW... remember BETA?

What do you think?
      Because people like my tutu don't want to begin to comprehend technology. She still get her records, 8-track, etc...her house is like the bishop museum...antique galore. the only thing high tech to her is her microwave, telephone, minivan and her VHS player/recorder.

Comment

For me I am on my 3rd DVD player since 1999 and I guess my 4th VHS VCR since 1990. If my VCR craps out one of these days I would either get another VHS VCR if it was dirt cheap or a VHS VCR/DVD player combo so that instead of 2 different remote controls, I have one.

Right now I got 4 different remote controls. One for the Digital cable which for the most part does what I need. The second one in terms of use is the VHS VCR remote control, the other two would be the DVD player and the TV's remote control. I only need to use the TV remote control so that I can switch from the TV/video mode whenever I use the DVD.

Anyway back on the original topic. For me I buy movies and TV series on DVD (which TV series don't come on VHS) and just use the VHS to record the on the air programs so that I can view it later on and those blank tapes get reused.

Right now I am not interested in recording the TV programs on DVD and off hand I have no idea on the cost of such units, but perharps that view might change later on.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
          tutu...

You do realize that by burning your vhs tapes to DVD...that the "Burnt" DVD's will only be good for a maximum of 5 years?

Please see the thread that was started a couple weeks ago regarding Burnt CD's....
          the same concept applies to DVD's.

You may want to hold onto all those old VHS's after all.

I work in the Digital industry.
          Thanks for the heads up. As mentioned earlier, I'm really not concerned about the theatrical movies. However, the home movies and my dad's cartoons cannot be replaced so those tapes will be retained. AAMOF, I've had professional tape dubs made of those and after dubbing additional tapes and burning DVDs with family members receiving a set of each (aka: back ups!) there are 2 sets of VHS tapes in storage...the original and the professional dubs...not to mention several sets on the mainland! I appreciate your concern, tho'.

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
            Just wondering... wasn't BETA actually a better format than VHS?
            I think this format war gave rise to Mac vs. PC....

Maybe too off topic, but this brings to mind a question. Anyone know a good, hopefully reasonable place on Oahu that will convert Super-8 home movies to DVD? The in-laws just uncovered boxes of these and we wanted to "save" them while they're still viewable.

Comment

Originally posted by NoCal Boy
              I think this format war gave rise to Mac vs. PC....

Maybe too off topic, but this brings to mind a question. Anyone know a good, hopefully reasonable place on Oahu that will convert Super-8 home movies to DVD? The in-laws just uncovered boxes of these and we wanted to "save" them while they're still viewable.
              You might try getting a quote from Video Lab on Queen St. They're in the phone book. Sorry I'm not near mine at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                For me I am on my 3rd DVD player since 1999 and I guess my 4th VHS VCR since 1990. If my VCR craps out one of these days I would either get another VHS VCR if it was dirt cheap or a VHS VCR/DVD player combo so that instead of 2 different remote controls, I have one.
                DVD players are getting cheaper than VCR machines. About a couple of months ago my Panasonic VCR broke down after 3-years of dependable service. I went down to WalMart to pick up a cheapo VCR so I could continue transfering some of my old tapes to disk.

I was floored when I found the cheapest VCR was $44.95 compared to the cheapest DVD player at $27.99! Plus DVD recorders were running $107.00. I thought $135 for my Sanyo DVD recorder was a steal, pretty soon DVD recorders will replace DVD players entirely at a price comparable to today's VCRs.

At WalMart you can buy a DVD recorder/VHS recorder combo for under $190 so you can make copies either way (so long as there's no copy protect on either the VHS tape or the DVD).

With data compression getting better and better pretty soon you won't even need a disk or a tape. Flash memory is getting bigger in memory size and cheaper by the gigabyte. Yep removable RAM Recorders. So easy even a Caveman can use it! Okay cheap ripoff from the car insurance commercial
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                  I have a Sanyo DVD recorder that can input a signal and output them to a TV set. And it doesn't have blinking time either! After setting up the recorder's initial setup (format, time, rec speed) All you do is pop in a disk let it read it, then hit the record button! You stop it (not pause) it creates a chapter. To find it you don't have to fast forward you simply press the number corresponding to that chapter and viola! It's there.
                  Yeah but will it play my vhs tapes?

I have been using my SVHS player convert the cable tv signal to my A/V center through a s-video connection.

Comment

why do you have to convert the cable signal thru your vhs machine? The input and output of that machine is virtually the same albeit approximately 4dB signal loss going thru the vhs.

I take it your Video monitor only accepts a composite video or s-video signal and not an RF? The problem with that is the signal was already an RF signal coming from your cable line in, then it experiences signal loss when being converted to A/V. You're better off just using the RF out from the cable line directly to the receiver.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                      Beta!? huh.
                      beta nuthing!
                      I remember record players.
                      el peez.
                      8 track tapes.
                      charcoal on cave walls.
                      Please do not knock the Beta Tape. SUre Beta died but here in Hawaii I think Beta lasted alot longer than it did on the mainland. Heck I still have one of Son'y top of the line Super Beta vcr's in the closet. Sucker is almost in cherry condition. I sold over 500 beta tapes to a friend along with a couple of beta vcr's about 10 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                        Perharps there is still a segment of the population that don't have a DVD player yet.
                        Not in our house. We have about 6 dvd players in our house, I jumped on the dvd bandwagon when it first came out in April of 1997. Started selling all my laser discs and 2 laser disc players.

Comment

Working...
                        X