View Poll Results: Who would get your vote in the 2006 race for U.S. Senate?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Incumbent Daniel K. Akaka.

    8 50.00%
  • Challenger Edward E. Case.

    6 37.50%
  • Other (Republican, Libertarian, etc.).

    2 12.50%
  • Undecided.

    0 0%
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 388

Thread: Case versus Akaka

  1. #1
    kamuelakea Guest

    Default Case versus Akaka

    This AMs advertiser was interesting.

    Here's what Case said:

    Case strongly disagreed with Akaka's assessment. "I believe federal recognition is vital, not only for Native Hawaiians, but for all of Hawai'i," the Case said.

    Case said the future of the bill in the Senate, where it has been stalled for six years, rests more with the power of U.S. Sen. Daniel K. Inouye, who is third in seniority. He said he would work with Inouye if elected to the Senate and back the bill aggressively.
    If you read the Closed Thread on Case vs Akaka, you will see what I was saying.

    If Case knows, as I was saying in that thread, that the passage of any recognition bill rests more with Inouye, then why hasn't it passed for 6 years? Why would it all of the sudden pass once you actually got rid of the only Hawaiian in the Senate. Doesn't make sense, unless Case and Inouye are on the same page already.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawai'i
    Posts
    9,518

    Default Re: Case versus Akaka

    Aloha kahahiaka! I had a feeling you was going to start this thread. As for this morning's article...I have yet to read it. I'll be back.

    Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

  3. #3
    kamuelakea Guest

    Default Re: Case versus Akaka

    My previous post:


    You might be right and in fact I do question Akaka because I also question Inouye. The question I really have is not why hasn't Akaka been able to pass a Hawaiian recognition bill, my question is why haven't Inouye AND Akaka been able to pass a Hawaiian recognition bill.

    Inouye is constantly recognized as the Top (in some years) and always close to the top pork barrel spender in all of the Senate. He knows how to pass special interest legislation better than most.

    In addition, some of you might find this interesting. I was lucky enough to stop by Inouye's office many years ago and was invited to take a short tour. He wasn't there at the time but I did get to see his corner digs. What struck me was the office was decorated mostly with Native American Indian artifacts. Not American, not Japanese, not Hawaiian, but Indian. Feathers, beads, the whole thing. I came to learn that Inouye is honored and revered by many Indian tribes for his help in establishing and supporting Native American Indians. There are I think 180 independent Indian Nations in the US right now.

    Now isn't it odd that the man who has singlehandedly created more sovereign nations in the US has not created the one closest to home?

    I'm just thinking outloud, but could it be that Inouye really doesn't want an Independent Hawaiian Nation. Could he be letting Akaka run himself around the capitol while letting his other collegues know, without saying of course, that he doesn't mind if the Akaka Bill doesn't pass, just give it a good show if you know what I mean, wink wink.

    I just can't imagine that if Dan Inouye is as powerful as most people say, and if his area of expertise seems to be establishing and supporting Native American people, and if he is #2 in Senate seniority, and if he's the top special interest Senator, ......that he can't get the Akaka Bill or some version passed.

    That's why I think he might actually not want it to pass.

    To continue the conspiracy theory, what if Inouye secretly gave Case the go ahead because he sees it as a way to kill the Akaka Bill without having to do it himself?????

  4. #4
    waioli kai Guest

    Default Re: Case versus Akaka

    .
    kamuelakea: "The question I really have is not why hasn't Akaka been able to pass a Hawaiian recognition bill, my question is why haven't Inouye AND Akaka been able to pass a Hawaiian recognition bill."

    Justice, fairness, morality, ethics all take a backseat, when a given seat at all, in the American imperialists' order of things. American business interests, practices and perversions of Christianity have had more than a century to erase Hawaiian culture as well as Hawaiians themselves, subverting Hawaiian sovereignty, expropriating Hawaiian lands and resources for corporatist and militarist purposes. American business interests own the U.S. Congress and the Hawaii State and County governments. It is amazing that the Akaka Bill even came into existence in such corrupted social, political and economic conditions.

    Ed Case seems more on the path to becoming another Senator Inouye serving the interests of Israel and U.S. militarism and corporatism in Hawaii and globally than he seems focused on the welfare of Hawaii except as Hawaii may better serve the interests of the United States.
    Last edited by waioli kai; January 25th, 2006 at 06:26 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Mō‘ili‘ili
    Posts
    2,456

    Exclamation Re: Case versus Akaka

    Found this on Ian Lind’s site (ilind.com). Case’s first lie of the campaign? You be the judge.

    From the 1/22 Advertiser:

    Case, in an interview yesterday over chili at Zippy's in Kapahulu, said he had not done any polling against Akaka and based his decision on conversations he has had with people since his unsuccessful campaign for governor four years ago.


    From the 1/22 Bulletin:

    In a telephone interview yesterday, Case said he had conducted at least two surveys in mid-2005 to help gauge his chances of winning. Favorable opinions among voters were about the same for both candidates, he said, adding Akaka had slightly higher unfavorable ratings. He could not provide copies of the surveys yesterday and did not remember the exact questions asked.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawai'i
    Posts
    9,518

    Default Re: Case versus Akaka

    Yesterday, I sent Ed an email. It wasn't the first I've sent him. When my children were in Iraq, he took the time to answer me and we've kept in contact. He has responded to my latest question. Here is his reply:

    Edcasecongress@aol.com to me
    More options 7:30 pm (24 minutes ago)

    Edcasecongress@aol.com

    Lynn: I cointroduced proposed legislation creating a process to achieve federal recognition for Native Hawaiians (i.e. the "Akaka bill") in the U.S. House in the 108th Congress (2003-2004) and in the current 109th Congress (2005-2006). I testified on the record in favor of the bill in both House and Senate. I have called it the most important proposal to be taken up in Congress not just for Native Hawaiians but for our Hawaii since statehood. Those are not the actions of someone who does not support the bill. The reasons for my candidacy for the U.S. Senate are exactly what I have stated publicly since my announcement and have put on my website at edcase.com. If anyone has any questions about my positions on this or any other proposal or issue, I welcome their emailing me directly. With aloha, Ed

    Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Case versus Akaka

    I was kind of curious to see if Abercrombie and Case were in lockstep during last year's Congressional session, and they pretty much were, voting the same way on most bills except for things like the Real ID bill which proposed a national standard for driver's licenses (but not allocating any Federal funds to help the States pay for upgrading their equipment) and the building of a wall at the Mexican-US border in San Diego: Abercrombie voted it down, and Case voted to pass it (HR418); the bill passed.

    Miulang

  8. #8
    kamuelakea Guest

    Default Re: Case versus Akaka

    Lynn: I have called it the most important proposal to be taken up in Congress not just for Native Hawaiians but for our Hawaii since statehood. Those are not the actions of someone who does not support the bill. With aloha, Ed
    Interesting. The MOST IMPORTANT PROPOSAL SINCE STATEHOOD. That could go both ways. Is it the most important because of THEM - the intent to help Hawaiians and resolve grievances? Or is it most important because of how it will affect HIM and the non-Hawaiian residents of the State? The obvious politician answer would be both but I really wonder why he feels so strongly????

    I don't know what he’s thinking and I am not trying to put words in Mr. Case's mouth but since he is usually a man of few, well orchestrated statements, I can only ponder the possibilities.

    People don't usually describe something as the most important in 50 years and then fail to elaborate with a single supporting statement for why it is so important. That’s a very strong statement. But what does it mean.

    It will be interesting to see him pushed on this question, especially from the Pro-Akaka Bill perspective, during the campaign to see WHY he feels it is so important.

    Remember a guy named Bush who was a conservative Republican who ran on the campaign promise of “fiscal conservatism” and “no nation building”. Then he got elected.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawai'i
    Posts
    9,518

    Default Re: Case versus Akaka

    Quote Originally Posted by kamuelakea
    Interesting. The MOST IMPORTANT PROPOSAL SINCE STATEHOOD. That could go both ways. Is it the most important because of THEM - the intent to help Hawaiians and resolve grievances? Or is it most important how it will affect HIM and the non-Hawaiian residents of the State? It could be important to him because he feels the need to weaken it even further?

    I don't know what he’s thinking and I am not trying to put words in Mr. Case's mouth but since he is usually a man of few, well orchestrated statements, I can only ponder the possibilities.

    People don't usually describe something as the most important in 50 years and then fail to elaborate with a single supporting statement for why it is so important. That’s a very strong statement. But what does it mean.

    It will be interesting to see him pushed on this question, especially from the Pro-Akaka Bill perspective, during the campaign to see WHY he feels it is so important.

    Remember a guy named Bush who was a conservative Republican who ran on the campaign promise of “fiscal conservatism” and “no nation building”. Then he got elected.
    Email and ask him.
    His invitation is there.

    Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

  10. #10
    kamuelakea Guest

    Default Re: Case versus Akaka

    Quote Originally Posted by 1stwahine
    Email and ask him.

    Auntie Lynn
    I have long given up on politicians. I'm a political voyeur. I'ld rather watch how it plays out over the course of the campaign. Someone from the Akaka camp will ask him many times I'm sure.

  11. #11
    waioli kai Guest

    Default Re: Case versus Akaka

    Edwin (?) Edward (?) Edlane Case, (?), is an opportuni$t. He could only wish that that Senator Akaka might die ....and the sooner the better!!
    Last edited by waioli kai; January 25th, 2006 at 07:44 PM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawai'i
    Posts
    9,518

    Default Re: Case versus Akaka

    Quote Originally Posted by waioli kai
    Edwin (?) Edward (?) Edlane Case, (?), is an opportunist. He could only wish that that Senator Akaka might die ....and the sooner the better!!
    You are Sick! That is such an awful thing to say about any person. Where do you come from? What a sorry AZZ human being you are. You don't deserve to be on this Forum. Look at the reputation points that you have. I'm surprised you didn't get booted yet!!! Whack whack!

    Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

  13. #13
    waioli kai Guest

    Default Re: Case versus Akaka

    Quote Originally Posted by 1stwahine
    You are Sick! That is such an awful thing to say about any person. Where do you come from? What a sorry AZZ human being you are. You don't deserve to be on this Forum. Look at the reputation points that you have. I'm surprised you didn't get booted yet!!! Whack whack!

    Auntie Lynn
    Yes Auntie, Ii am sick.

  14. #14
    kamuelakea Guest

    Default Re: Case versus Akaka

    Quote Originally Posted by waioli kai
    Edwin (?) Edward (?) Edlane Case, (?), is an opportuni$t. He could only wish that that Senator Akaka might die ....and the sooner the better!!

    On the one hand, I give the man credit for having the testicular fortitude to simply take on the Hawaii Democratic Mafia Machine.

    On the other, I do think it's all about Ed. If age was the real factor, Abercrombie isn't that old and obviously next in line. Even Cayetano or Waihehe could succeed Akaka. Whats the urgency here? But Ed seems like the strong sleeping lion who smells a weak aging dear and decides its time to move in for the kill.

    That's just my gut feeling. No evidence. I might be totally off.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawai'i
    Posts
    9,518

    Default Re: Case versus Akaka

    Quote Originally Posted by waioli kai
    Yes Auntie, Ii am sick.
    den go doctor and go get help! why suffer and make everybody suffer too? there is help out there. i know...i sick too.

    i wish you well. take care.

    auntie lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Case versus Akaka

    I like both guys and Case came out to my wife's school and spoke to the kids just a week or so after losing to Hirono. I think what people would have preferred is to have either Senator Dan stand on a podium with Ed Case and/or Neil Abercrombie and say the job is their's when we retire, sort of passing the wand to them. That would have been a classy move.

    What is funny about being an 80 plus year old Senator is that it seems not too many people question it. But by god if we had a 80 year plus year old man running for the White House he would not get very far in the campaign at all.

    John McCain will find his age a big factor when he runs in a couple years as I think he will even be older than Ronald Reagan. Not sure how old Bob Dole was when he ran, but I most certainly think people remember how bad Reagan's last term was in office (Iran Contra, Stock Market crash, etc.) that even Republicans in the south voted for Clinton over Dole.

    I'll reserve judgement on who I will vote on based on how they run their campaigns if Akaka sits back and spends no money and wants to win on his past accomplishments he does not get my vote. If Ed Case comes across as aarogant and throws footballs around with his children to show his youthfulness I will not vote for him either. Come to think of it if Akaka does Frank Fasi/Jack Palance push-ups on the stage he isnt getting my vote either!!

    This will be an interesting campaign to say the least, the two Senator Dan's have basicially ran unopossed for many years so it might pump more life into Akaka to get some things done in the coming months because people remember the present more than the past.

    It will be the ultimate oxymoron if Ed Case wins and gets the Akaka bill passed on his own I think. That would be a double loss for Akaka but he has nothing to lose at this point and stage of his life.

    KalihiBoy

  17. #17
    waioli kai Guest

    Default Re: Case versus Akaka

    Quote Originally Posted by 1stwahine
    den go doctor and go get help! why suffer and make everybody suffer too? there is help out there. i know...i sick too.

    i wish you well. take care.

    auntie lynn
    Maybe you help make all opposed to US war crimes suffer , i.e., "get sick" from/on all misguided US foreign policy conducted on the alleged behalf of "Americans". Maybe you go to get psycho aid.?
    Last edited by waioli kai; January 25th, 2006 at 09:06 PM.

  18. #18
    kamuelakea Guest

    Default Re: Case versus Akaka

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalihiboy
    I'll reserve judgement on who I will vote on based on how they run their campaigns if Akaka sits back and spends no money and wants to win on his past accomplishments he does not get my vote. If Ed Case comes across as aarogant and throws footballs around with his children to show his youthfulness I will not vote for him either. Come to think of it if Akaka does Frank Fasi/Jack Palance push-ups on the stage he isnt getting my vote either!!
    KalihiBoy

    I can win this one for either one right now. Hawaii politics is easy to read but hard to predict sometimes.

    Whichever candidate Cries at the best moment during the campaign will win.

    Easy.

    Cayetano saved his crying for the classroom TV ad for right before the election with Lingle. He squeeked it out.

    No need million dollar consultants. Just Cry Cry Cry. Sob you asses off Case and Akaka.

    Personally, I think Akaka has the upper hand here. He's a poor old 80 year old man. By crying at the right moment, he will MAKE Case look like a pushy bossy arrogant Haole even if he isn't one.
    Last edited by kamuelakea; January 25th, 2006 at 09:06 PM.

  19. #19
    waioli kai Guest

    Default Re: Case versus Akaka

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalihiboy
    I like both guys and Case came out to my wife's school and spoke to the kids just a week or so after losing to Hirono. I think what people would have preferred is to have either Senator Dan stand on a podium with Ed Case and/or Neil Abercrombie and say the job is their's when we retire, sort of passing the wand to them. That would have been a classy move.

    What is funny about being an 80 plus year old Senator is that it seems not too many people question it. But by god if we had a 80 year plus year old man running for the White House he would not get very far in the campaign at all.

    John McCain will find his age a big factor when he runs in a couple years as I think he will even be older than Ronald Reagan. Not sure how old Bob Dole was when he ran, but I most certainly think people remember how bad Reagan's last term was in office (Iran Contra, Stock Market crash, etc.) that even Republicans in the south voted for Clinton over Dole.

    I'll reserve judgement on who I will vote on based on how they run their campaigns if Akaka sits back and spends no money and wants to win on his past accomplishments he does not get my vote. If Ed Case comes across as aarogant and throws footballs around with his children to show his youthfulness I will not vote for him either. Come to think of it if Akaka does Frank Fasi/Jack Palance push-ups on the stage he isnt getting my vote either!!

    This will be an interesting campaign to say the least, the two Senator Dan's have basicially ran unopossed for many years so it might pump more life into Akaka to get some things done in the coming months because people remember the present more than the past.

    It will be the ultimate oxymoron if Ed Case wins and gets the Akaka bill passed on his own I think. That would be a double loss for Akaka but he has nothing to lose at this point and stage of his life.

    KalihiBoy
    \

    KalihiBoy---> A boy for sure.
    "That would be a double loss for Akaka but he has nothing to lose at this point and stage of his life."

    And how do you "KalihiBoy" come by the notion that at this 'stage of your life ' you are not yourself at someone's, even your's, "wrong turn", "misfortune", "whatever" away from your own demise? You HAVE NOT a clue!! Or do you?
    Last edited by waioli kai; January 25th, 2006 at 09:19 PM.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Case versus Akaka

    I take my life into my own hands each and every day walking and running all over this island constantly dodging cars who either come close to hitting me or my children in strollers because nobody is paying attention when i cross the street, so I have had my life flash before me many times at various stages of my life. Thanks for getting off topic with your criticism of a few choice words I made.

    As others have said before STAY ON TOPIC.

    KalihiBoy

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Mō‘ili‘ili
    Posts
    2,456

    Cool Re: Case versus Akaka

    How about this:

    Case is married to the former Audrey Nakamura, sister of Pat Nekoba, the wife of Lloyd Nekoba, otherwise known as one of the, (if not THE) most powerful man in the Hawai‘i Democratic Party (he ran both Waihe‘e and Cayetano’s campaigns). Will this old-boy network go head-to-head with Danny Akaka’s old-boy network? Did Case really not have the blessing of at least some Democratic insiders?

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    10,134

    Default Re: Case versus Akaka

    For me the election is not here yet so I don't need to make a choice between Case or Akaka or anyone else running for this Senate seat. As far as Ed Case throwing his hat into the ring into this race, he is not breaking any laws by doing this, but it is his gamble.

  23. #23
    kamuelakea Guest

    Default Re: Case versus Akaka

    Quote Originally Posted by TuNnL
    How about this:

    Case is married to the former Audrey Nakamura, sister of Pat Nekoba, the wife of Lloyd Nekoba, otherwise known as one of the, (if not THE) most powerful man in the Hawai‘i Democratic Party (he ran both Waihe‘e and Cayetano’s campaigns). Will this old-boy network go head-to-head with Danny Akaka’s old-boy network? Did Case really not have the blessing of at least some Democratic insiders?

    Ahhhh, the plot thickens. This is classic Hawaii Democrtic Machine one party politics. Very interesting.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    123

    Default Re: Case versus Akaka

    Quote Originally Posted by kamuelakea
    Ahhhh, the plot thickens. This is classic Hawaii Democrtic Machine one party politics. Very interesting.
    The Hawaii Democratic Machine is not as solid as you think. There are factions within the party and it's not all about race or ethnicity. As I posted in the other thread, my father has been very active in campaigning for Akaka. I have to admit though that when I was a kid and Akaka went up against a slew of AJA candidates, all my AJA friend's parents said they were voting against Akaka. But they all lost. When Akaka went up against Pat Saiki in 1990, all these same people voted for the republican just because she was the same race as them even though they were democrats. IMO this is not only racial but racist. Voting for someone just because he or she is the same race as yourself is simply racist. How else could you describe it?

    I attribute Akaka's victories in the past to people like my father who were in a position to encourage the Kanaka Maoli to vote.

  25. #25
    kamuelakea Guest

    Default Re: Case versus Akaka

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul
    Voting for someone just because he or she is the same race as yourself is simply racist. How else could you describe it?

    I attribute Akaka's victories in the past to people like my father who were in a position to encourage the Kanaka Maoli to vote.
    Paul, you definitely provide examples of the exception to the rule. Unfortunately, much more of Hawaii's political decision making has been based upon race. Your own examples are evidence that the mentality exists even though it hasn't been 100% successful.

    I attribute Akaka's victories to to the UNION vote as much as the Hawaiian vote. That combination can beat the AJA bloc when it votes alone.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •