View Poll Results: Who would get your vote in the 2006 race for U.S. Senate?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Incumbent Daniel K. Akaka.

8 50.00%
  • Challenger Edward E. Case.

6 37.50%
  • Other (Republican, Libertarian, etc.).

2 12.50%
  • Undecided.

0 0%
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Case versus Akaka

Default Re: Case versus Akaka

Quote Originally Posted by TuNnL
    Thanks, Leo. Hopefully, everyone keeps this in mind as the election draws near and emotions run high. I wouldn’t want to see this of all threads closed down.
    TuNnL, I posted the following on onnada forum I belong to due to another member asking me why I support Ed Case. He is a friend.

The question: Lynn, just curious. Why you like him for? What he goin' do for you or your neighborhood? Did he say that? What makes you believe him?

Just curious.

My answer: Although I can not Vote for him cause I am not in his district, ... I am supporting him wholeheartedly! Why? Because when my children were in Iraq, I emailed him many times. Over the course of my many emails we became to know each other on a first name basis. We became friends. He took time out of his busy schedule to comfort a Military Mother not of his district but a Mother just the same from Hawai'i.

We continue to correspond. We continue to thrive for the same hopes and dreams in which our country can one day be. Politics of course will cause many friends to disagree on whom they support and want in office. America gives us the right to choose who we want to lead us.

My three children and numerous Ohana lives in Congresman Ed Case's District. My support and endorsement of him is the reason why I am vocal...in hopes that they will Vote for him. No one can force anyone to vote for a candidate. It is up to a person when they go behind the curtain and cast their ballot.

When all is said and done ~ friends will still remain friends. Family will always be family. Whoever is elected ~ we all hope and pray...will do the best to represent us well!

Auntie Lynn

"as the election draws near and emotions run high"...it will get heated. It always does. That's Politics. However, we are Adults and this is Hawai'i

Nuff said.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stwahine
    Whoever is elected ~ we all hope and pray...will do the best to represent us well!
    Very true. Politicians are easy targets (our right to criticize them is protected by law), and some most certainly earn our ire. But I'm certainly not one to paint with so broad a brush so as to label all elected officials and public servants as evil, corrupt, incompetent, and the like. I've known many, and have a few in my family, and can attest in their cases -- however anecdotal -- only the best intentions and most admirable hopes for their work.

Politics on the whole comes with a lot of compromises and ugly practices and deals. I'm not naive. But I'm also fairly certain that many politicians, many of our elected leaders, want to do what's best, and think they have the best plan. They may or may not, we may or may not back, or elect, the "right candidate" in the end. But it's the system we've got, and I'll take it over the alternatives.

Honestly speaking, I wouldn't throw myself off a bridge if either Akaka or Case win this election. What either would do in office, I am certain, are completely different. But whatever my fellow residents and I decide, I can live with.

U. S. Congressman Ed Case (D-Hawaii) officially filed his papers today for election to the United States Senate. Yipppeeee!

Auntie Lynn
    Last edited by 1stwahine; July 14th, 2006 at 02:27 PM.

Lest this thread end up a battle between dueling press offices, please limit posts to personal comments and observations rather than posting campaign press releases and announcements. Mahalo.

I seen Rep. Case and a group of supporters sign waving corner of Keeaumoku and King Streets this afternoon.

waioli kai Guest

Default Selective obedience, selective enforcement , Re: Case versus Akaka

-
    -mel= "I seen Rep. Case and a group of supporters sign waving corner of Keeaumoku and King Streets this afternoon.

I seen political signs of various sorts in state highway rights-of-ways when supposedly such political paraphenalia are not supposed to be displayed as such until 45 days before the primary. But then, there's all these real estate sales companies and corporations with their advertisement paraphenalia on state and county rights-of-way in violation of state statutes and county ordinances, so what's the big deal? Selective obedience, selective enforcement...jUSt more of "the American Way".
    Last edited by waioli kai; July 15th, 2006 at 05:30 PM.

Hawaii law only restricts campaign ads on public property. There is no law regulating what can be placed on private property.
    The Outdoor Circle is asking for voluntary constraint as far as campaign signs go.

Article: StarBulletin.com

I have absolutely no problem with the amount or size of signs for any campaign or candidate that are posted on PRIVATE property. I think private property owners have the right to exercise their free speech rights by placing a sign or signs for the candidates they like.

Furthermore we are only looking at a 5 month window from now to the November elections. Most signs usually go down shortly afterward. It's all temporary.

Case and his supporters like many other candidates were hand holding their signs during the sign waving activity yesterday afternoon.
    I'm still here. Are you?

I have the sticker posted in this thread in the front entrance to my apartment. Today, one of my neighbors put up three big carrying Akaka signs in their yard across of me. I laughed.

We both can't Vote for the one's we're supporting.

We're still good neighbors...smile and wave to one another!

The Political Season in Hawai'i nei has begun!

Auntie Lynn

In the U.S. Senate race every voter in Hawaii can vote for either Akaka, Case, Coffee (the Republican candidate) or whoever files by the July 25 deadline. The U.S. Senate race is not district specific like the race for U.S. House.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Quote Originally Posted by mel
    In the U.S. Senate race every voter in Hawaii can vote for either Akaka, Case, Coffee (the Republican candidate) or whoever files by the July 25 deadline. The U.S. Senate race is not district specific like the race for U.S. House.
    OMG!!!! hOW EMBARASSING! I am pUpUle!!!!

I neva know dat!

Well, das one moa vote for Ed!

Yeeeeppeeee!!!

Dances around my computa...(neva mind).

Auntie Lynn

I ran across this on a blog this morning. What is your take on it?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/pachac...f_b_25901.html

Quote Originally Posted by nohoboy
    I ran across this on a blog this morning. What is your take on it?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/pachac...f_b_25901.html
    I still voting for Congressman Ed Case!

Mahalo

Auntie Lynn

I dunno whether Billy Bob endorsing Akaka is such a good thing. He just appeared at a campaign rally for Joe Lieberman in Connecticut...he may be the Democratic "rent a pol" who's supposed to be stumping for the Democratic party in hotly contested elections, I guess, which means Ed Case is SOL because it appears that the money is on Akaka to win the race, with his support from the old time Dems in the state.

Miulang

Cool Re: Case versus Akaka

I think most would agree if the election were held today, Akaka would win. The problem is there’s a rumor going around that he will debate Case before the election. While his PBS interview proved he could hold his own in a Q&A-style forum devoid of interaction between candidates, the jury is still out on whether he could beat Case in a one-on-one debate.

Let’s face it. While Akaka’s age gives him the wisdom of our kupuna, it also hinders his ability speak in quick “Lingle-esque” sound bites without a prepared script in front of him. That's a clear indication that he could be in trouble if faced with answering hard questions within a time limit and having his will rattled by someone intent on serving up a stinging rebuttal.

Quote Originally Posted by TuNnL
    I think most would agree if the election were held today, Akaka would win. The problem is there’s a rumor going around that he will debate Case before the election. While his PBS interview proved he could hold his own in a Q&A-style forum devoid of interaction between candidates, the jury is still out on whether he could beat Case in a one-on-one debate.

Let’s face it. While Akaka’s age gives him the wisdom of our kupuna, it also hinders his ability speak in quick “Lingle-esque” sound bites without a prepared script in front of him. That's a clear indication that he could be in trouble if faced with answering hard questions within a time limit and having his will rattled by someone intent on serving up a stinging rebuttal.
    Perceived wisdom among the professionals says no incumbent should ever debate a challenger; it just offers the newbie a forum and legitimizes him/her. The trouble with that wisdom is that the general voting population can often force a debate because it wants to see the two candidates discussing issues one-on-one.

Everybody complains about the political climate in Hawaii. Corruption, Inside Dealing, Favortism, Chronyism (sp), Bad Decisions, etc etc

But soft-shelled, ignorant liberals dominate the scene in Hawaii. So liberal politicians continue to get elected without hardly a challenge from the conservative side.

On Hawaii Island, it's a true epidemic. Especially at the council level.

And we wonder why things are the way they are. ?? ??? ?????? ?????

Many of you on this board just refuse to "get it" out of choice, not logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkmeister
    Perceived wisdom among the professionals says no incumbent should ever debate a challenger; it just offers the newbie a forum and legitimizes him/her. The trouble with that wisdom is that the general voting population can often force a debate because it wants to see the two candidates discussing issues one-on-one.
    Personally, no matter how much I might support an incumbent, I still feel they owe us the opportunity to see them in a debate with their opponents. They have to re-apply for their job every X-number of years; that comes with the territory.

waioli kai Guest

Default US's Case of dissembly , Re: Case vs. Akaka

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio
    Personally, no matter how much I might support an incumbent, I still feel they owe us the opportunity to see them in a debate with their opponents. They have to re-apply for their job every X-number of years; that comes with the territory.
    Case never went out of his way to extend the opporitunities for debate to all of the candidates who were running for the same U.S. House position as he was in either of the two Special Elections in 2000 for Hawaii's 2nd U.S. House District.

In the first Special Election, as now, Case promoted himself as "an alternative" to someone older and more wise than he, and, in Case's mind, less deserving than he. He was so eager to take what he believed was his rightful place in Washington, DC representing Hawaii that he could not honor either Patsy Mink or her husband by his, Case's not contesting John Mink's candidacy for finishing the brief remainder of his wife's commitment to Hawai'i.

Above all else Ed Case has proven himself to be an opporitunUSt. His subsequent "service" in the U.S. House has also confirmed beyond all doubt that he is zionUSt as well, a most favored candidate of AIPAC, an aspiring protege of Joseph Lieberman, a militarUSt of/for Zionazirael.

When are all Case's promised "get-to-know-me-better" sessions going to take place throughout the 2nd District? Senator Akaka doesn't need to give Case a platform.
    Last edited by waioli kai; July 30th, 2006 at 10:17 AM.

Post Re: Case versus Akaka

Quote Originally Posted by timkona
    Many of you on this board just refuse to "get it" out of choice, not logic.
    I think the majority (not all) who post on this board represent the most thoughtful, objective, even-keeled slice of Hawai‘i Nei. If you can’t convince the good people here, then “logically” you should not expect your argument(s) to hold weight with the average voting public in the Aloha State. Just my observations.

Default Re: The Race to Replace Case

Anybody have a theory to why Ed Case has such a majority
    of signs posted all throughout Kauai? Is it the Grove Farms
    (Steve Case) connection? Did he grow up in Kauai? How local
    a guy is he?

Quote Originally Posted by bcliquot
    a guy is he?
    All information on Ed Case can be found on his Web Site @ http://www.edcase.com/senate/campaign_central.php

Dan Akaka on http://akaka.senate.gov/public/index.cfm

(ooops! wrong thread! )

MAHALO

Auntie Lynn
    Last edited by 1stwahine; August 2nd, 2006 at 06:41 PM.

I think the poll question here needs to be updated to include the names of all the candidates for this seat.

Wink Re: The Race to Replace Case

Quote Originally Posted by bcliquot
    a guy is he?
    It’s no secret this is a family affair. Unless you really hated him, wouldn’t YOU support your cousin? Did former U.S. Rep. Tom Gill’s son (Gary Gill) get elected to the city council? Did Gary Gill's brother (Eric Gill) overthrow Tony Rutledge as Secretary/Treasurer of the Local 5 union?

How about former Governor John Waihe‘e’s son John John getting elected to OHA? Need more examples?

It’s all about the ‘ohana, and Ed Case no doubt is milking it.

Well, for the first and -- for all we know -- last time, Case and Akaka shared the same stage today before the Hawaii Publishers Association.

Akaka and Case trade jabs
    Case Raises Akaka's Age As Campaign Issue

Case said Akaka is old. Akaka said we need seniority in the Senate, that wisdom matters, that Hawaiians respect their kupuna for a reason. Case said Akaka is old. Akaka said someone needs to speak up against the president's policies and be a voice of reason in a Republican-dominated government. Case countered by saying, however, that Akaka is old. Akaka said Case is only pretending to be a democrat, as evidenced by his conservative voting record. In defense, Case clarified that Akaka is a creaky, wrinkly geezer.

As is the case with most head-to-head engagements, I'd say the luncheon would usually default to be a win for Case. The contrast between their two styles couldn't be more stark, though. Based on this event alone, I can see seniors -- a reliable voting bloc -- backing Akaka just 'cause.

I thought this comment by Case was interesting:
    I believe Senator Akaka is a product of and beholdant to the culture that exists here in Hawaii and across our culture today and I am not. I believe it is a broken culture. I believe it is a culture that stifles the development of leadership, I believe it is a culture that prevents forward thinking. I believe it is a culture that is purely self interested. I believe it is a culture that tries hard to prevent true choice in elections.
    A sentiment that is not new, and one that's been expressed in different ways here at HT as well. But even if it's true, I gotta wonder how talk like that is going to win over new voters. That is, people that weren't already going to vote for him.

To say he is not a product of the culture of Hawaii -- even if he means, specifically, the dysfunctional aspects of Hawaii's political culture -- pretty much reinforces what most of his critics are saying. He doesn't know Hawaii.

Both KITV and KHON noted that Akaka went in for the hug rather than the ol' handshake.

Also saw the Barack Obama ad for Akaka tonight. Talk about bringing in a heavy hitter. (Impressive on one hand, but shows how threatened Akaka's campaign might actually feel on the other.) Interestingly, the audio was notably poor, and it seemed like his remarks were written by the same guy that wrote Dan Inouye's ad. A pity, 'cause I think Barack would have come across better if he didn't sound as if he was reading from a script.

Also saw the Barack Obama ad for Akaka tonight
    shocking, shocking, shocking....

Saw it too... Had the same reaction as you pz!

But as a tv techie kind of guy...did you notice his eyes...they were obviously following cue cards!

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast