Case versus Akaka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Case versus Akaka

I like both guys and Case came out to my wife's school and spoke to the kids just a week or so after losing to Hirono. I think what people would have preferred is to have either Senator Dan stand on a podium with Ed Case and/or Neil Abercrombie and say the job is their's when we retire, sort of passing the wand to them. That would have been a classy move.

What is funny about being an 80 plus year old Senator is that it seems not too many people question it. But by god if we had a 80 year plus year old man running for the White House he would not get very far in the campaign at all.

John McCain will find his age a big factor when he runs in a couple years as I think he will even be older than Ronald Reagan. Not sure how old Bob Dole was when he ran, but I most certainly think people remember how bad Reagan's last term was in office (Iran Contra, Stock Market crash, etc.) that even Republicans in the south voted for Clinton over Dole.

I'll reserve judgement on who I will vote on based on how they run their campaigns if Akaka sits back and spends no money and wants to win on his past accomplishments he does not get my vote. If Ed Case comes across as aarogant and throws footballs around with his children to show his youthfulness I will not vote for him either. Come to think of it if Akaka does Frank Fasi/Jack Palance push-ups on the stage he isnt getting my vote either!!

This will be an interesting campaign to say the least, the two Senator Dan's have basicially ran unopossed for many years so it might pump more life into Akaka to get some things done in the coming months because people remember the present more than the past.

It will be the ultimate oxymoron if Ed Case wins and gets the Akaka bill passed on his own I think. That would be a double loss for Akaka but he has nothing to lose at this point and stage of his life.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
      den go doctor and go get help! why suffer and make everybody suffer too? there is help out there. i know...i sick too.

i wish you well. take care.

auntie lynn
      Maybe you help make all opposed to US war crimes suffer , i.e., "get sick" from/on all misguided US foreign policy conducted on the alleged behalf of "Americans". Maybe you go to get psycho aid.?
      Last edited by waioli kai; January 25, 2006, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy
        I'll reserve judgement on who I will vote on based on how they run their campaigns if Akaka sits back and spends no money and wants to win on his past accomplishments he does not get my vote. If Ed Case comes across as aarogant and throws footballs around with his children to show his youthfulness I will not vote for him either. Come to think of it if Akaka does Frank Fasi/Jack Palance push-ups on the stage he isnt getting my vote either!!
        KalihiBoy

I can win this one for either one right now. Hawaii politics is easy to read but hard to predict sometimes.

Whichever candidate Cries at the best moment during the campaign will win.

Easy.

Cayetano saved his crying for the classroom TV ad for right before the election with Lingle. He squeeked it out.

No need million dollar consultants. Just Cry Cry Cry. Sob you asses off Case and Akaka.

Personally, I think Akaka has the upper hand here. He's a poor old 80 year old man. By crying at the right moment, he will MAKE Case look like a pushy bossy arrogant Haole even if he isn't one.
        Last edited by kamuelakea; January 25, 2006, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy
          I like both guys and Case came out to my wife's school and spoke to the kids just a week or so after losing to Hirono. I think what people would have preferred is to have either Senator Dan stand on a podium with Ed Case and/or Neil Abercrombie and say the job is their's when we retire, sort of passing the wand to them. That would have been a classy move.

What is funny about being an 80 plus year old Senator is that it seems not too many people question it. But by god if we had a 80 year plus year old man running for the White House he would not get very far in the campaign at all.

John McCain will find his age a big factor when he runs in a couple years as I think he will even be older than Ronald Reagan. Not sure how old Bob Dole was when he ran, but I most certainly think people remember how bad Reagan's last term was in office (Iran Contra, Stock Market crash, etc.) that even Republicans in the south voted for Clinton over Dole.

This will be an interesting campaign to say the least, the two Senator Dan's have basicially ran unopossed for many years so it might pump more life into Akaka to get some things done in the coming months because people remember the present more than the past.

It will be the ultimate oxymoron if Ed Case wins and gets the Akaka bill passed on his own I think. That would be a double loss for Akaka but he has nothing to lose at this point and stage of his life.

KalihiBoy
          \

KalihiBoy---> A boy for sure.
          "That would be a double loss for Akaka but he has nothing to lose at this point and stage of his life."

And how do you "KalihiBoy" come by the notion that at this 'stage of your life ' you are not yourself at someone's, even your's, "wrong turn", "misfortune", "whatever" away from your own demise? You HAVE NOT a clue!! Or do you?
          Last edited by waioli kai; January 25, 2006, 09:19 PM.

Comment

I take my life into my own hands each and every day walking and running all over this island constantly dodging cars who either come close to hitting me or my children in strollers because nobody is paying attention when i cross the street, so I have had my life flash before me many times at various stages of my life. Thanks for getting off topic with your criticism of a few choice words I made.

As others have said before STAY ON TOPIC.

KalihiBoy

Comment

How about this:

Case is married to the former Audrey Nakamura, sister of Pat Nekoba, the wife of Lloyd Nekoba, otherwise known as one of the, (if not THE) most powerful man in the Hawai‘i Democratic Party (he ran both Waihe‘e and Cayetano’s campaigns). Will this old-boy network go head-to-head with Danny Akaka’s old-boy network? Did Case really not have the blessing of at least some Democratic insiders?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

For me the election is not here yet so I don't need to make a choice between Case or Akaka or anyone else running for this Senate seat. As far as Ed Case throwing his hat into the ring into this race, he is not breaking any laws by doing this, but it is his gamble.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
                  How about this:

Case is married to the former Audrey Nakamura, sister of Pat Nekoba, the wife of Lloyd Nekoba, otherwise known as one of the, (if not THE) most powerful man in the Hawai‘i Democratic Party (he ran both Waihe‘e and Cayetano’s campaigns). Will this old-boy network go head-to-head with Danny Akaka’s old-boy network? Did Case really not have the blessing of at least some Democratic insiders?

Ahhhh, the plot thickens. This is classic Hawaii Democrtic Machine one party politics. Very interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea
                    Ahhhh, the plot thickens. This is classic Hawaii Democrtic Machine one party politics. Very interesting.
                    The Hawaii Democratic Machine is not as solid as you think. There are factions within the party and it's not all about race or ethnicity. As I posted in the other thread, my father has been very active in campaigning for Akaka. I have to admit though that when I was a kid and Akaka went up against a slew of AJA candidates, all my AJA friend's parents said they were voting against Akaka. But they all lost. When Akaka went up against Pat Saiki in 1990, all these same people voted for the republican just because she was the same race as them even though they were democrats. IMO this is not only racial but racist. Voting for someone just because he or she is the same race as yourself is simply racist. How else could you describe it?

I attribute Akaka's victories in the past to people like my father who were in a position to encourage the Kanaka Maoli to vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
                      Voting for someone just because he or she is the same race as yourself is simply racist. How else could you describe it?

I attribute Akaka's victories in the past to people like my father who were in a position to encourage the Kanaka Maoli to vote.
                      Paul, you definitely provide examples of the exception to the rule. Unfortunately, much more of Hawaii's political decision making has been based upon race. Your own examples are evidence that the mentality exists even though it hasn't been 100% successful.

I attribute Akaka's victories to to the UNION vote as much as the Hawaiian vote. That combination can beat the AJA bloc when it votes alone.

Comment

According to SurveyUSA , Senator Inouye has the highest net approval rating of all Senators. Senator Akaka is tied for 35th (of 100).

Net meaning difference between approval rating and disapproval rating.
                        Last edited by Linkmeister; January 26, 2006, 07:08 PM. Reason: Add the tie
                        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                          According to SurveyUSA , Senator Inouye has the highest net approval rating of all Senators. Senator Akaka is tied for 35th (of 100).

Net meaning difference between approval rating and disapproval rating.

He probably also has the highest percentage of ethnicity of self to ethnicity of voters. Not to mention he brings home the bacon. Hawaii residents get more back from the federal government than they pay out.

Hard not to like a guy like that.
                          Last edited by kamuelakea; January 26, 2006, 09:06 PM.

Comment

An Online Survey was conducted by The Star Bulletin. The question ~
                            If the election for U.S. Senator were held today, who would win?

See results @ http://starbulletin.com/poll/index.html

Auntie Lynn

btw: Ed is also leading Akaka in KITV4's Survey too!
                            Ed Case 55% (1659)
                            Dan Akaka 35% (1067)
                            Another Party Candidate 10% (287)

as of 8:50 a.m
                            Last edited by 1stwahine; January 28, 2006, 07:51 AM.
                            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                              An Online Survey was conducted by The Star Bulletin. The question ~
                              If the election for U.S. Senator were held today, who would win?

See results @ http://starbulletin.com/poll/index.html

Auntie Lynn

btw: Ed is also leading Akaka in KITV4's Survey too!
                              Ed Case 55% (1659)
                              Dan Akaka 35% (1067)
                              Another Party Candidate 10% (287)

as of 8:50 a.m

You think AOL and his brother has anything to do with his popularity?
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                                You think AOL and his brother has anything to do with his popularity?
                                No, he is running on his "own" merits!

Auntie Lynn
                                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                                X