Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Case versus Akaka

Originally posted by admin
    One user's proclamation of her personal opinion does not a statement of policy or propaganda make.
    I suppose the issue is open for debate. Is Hawai‘i Threads your neighbor’s fence? Is it a group of people standing on a public sidewalk on Ala Moana Boulevard? Or is it a public forum? In which case, being a public forum, is it the wall of a beach park bathroom stall (illegal under city statute)? Is it the wall of a UH-Mānoa bathroom stall (pseudo public-private all-kine mishmash autonomy issues, but against UH regulations)? How do we define public forum on the Internet? Can we use “gathering place” as a yardstick?

pro·pa·gan·da the spreading of ideas, information, or rumor for the purpose of helping or injuring an institution, a cause, or a person

Ae, pololei.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

TuNnL, I support Ed Case. HawaiiThreads.com is a Forum and is not endorsing any candidate whatsoever. Pull up your panties and get a grip! Ask your MAMA For a nene bottle.

Auntie Lynn
      Last edited by 1stwahine; July 12, 2006, 02:02 PM. Reason: was mad...I wen spell auntie wrong!hahahahaha
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
        I suppose the issue is open for debate. Is Hawai‘i Threads ... a public forum?
        A moderated forum, actually, with some rules and regulations. Rules that we either accept or, by not accepting, force us to go someplace else.
        Last edited by Leo Lakio; July 12, 2006, 01:56 PM. Reason: comma comedian

Comment

Yes, Hawai‘i Threads has officially become a publisher of shameless propaganda, thanks to Aunty Lynn.
          Well, you're the one who reposted Auntie's Ed Case poster. I wouldn't have seen it otherwise, 'cause I missed Auntie's post.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
            A moderated forum, actually, with some rules and regulations. Rules that we either accept or, by not accepting, force us to go someplace else.
            Thanks, Leo. Hopefully, everyone keeps this in mind as the election draws near and emotions run high. I wouldn’t want to see this of all threads closed down.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

Thanks, Leo. Hopefully, everyone keeps this in mind as the election draws near and emotions run high. I wouldn’t want to see this of all threads closed down.
              TuNnL, I posted the following on onnada forum I belong to due to another member asking me why I support Ed Case. He is a friend.

The question: Lynn, just curious. Why you like him for? What he goin' do for you or your neighborhood? Did he say that? What makes you believe him?

Just curious.

My answer: Although I can not Vote for him cause I am not in his district, ... I am supporting him wholeheartedly! Why? Because when my children were in Iraq, I emailed him many times. Over the course of my many emails we became to know each other on a first name basis. We became friends. He took time out of his busy schedule to comfort a Military Mother not of his district but a Mother just the same from Hawai'i.

We continue to correspond. We continue to thrive for the same hopes and dreams in which our country can one day be. Politics of course will cause many friends to disagree on whom they support and want in office. America gives us the right to choose who we want to lead us.

My three children and numerous Ohana lives in Congresman Ed Case's District. My support and endorsement of him is the reason why I am vocal...in hopes that they will Vote for him. No one can force anyone to vote for a candidate. It is up to a person when they go behind the curtain and cast their ballot.

When all is said and done ~ friends will still remain friends. Family will always be family. Whoever is elected ~ we all hope and pray...will do the best to represent us well!

Auntie Lynn

"as the election draws near and emotions run high"...it will get heated. It always does. That's Politics. However, we are Adults and this is Hawai'i

Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                Whoever is elected ~ we all hope and pray...will do the best to represent us well!
                Very true. Politicians are easy targets (our right to criticize them is protected by law), and some most certainly earn our ire. But I'm certainly not one to paint with so broad a brush so as to label all elected officials and public servants as evil, corrupt, incompetent, and the like. I've known many, and have a few in my family, and can attest in their cases -- however anecdotal -- only the best intentions and most admirable hopes for their work.

Politics on the whole comes with a lot of compromises and ugly practices and deals. I'm not naive. But I'm also fairly certain that many politicians, many of our elected leaders, want to do what's best, and think they have the best plan. They may or may not, we may or may not back, or elect, the "right candidate" in the end. But it's the system we've got, and I'll take it over the alternatives.

Honestly speaking, I wouldn't throw myself off a bridge if either Akaka or Case win this election. What either would do in office, I am certain, are completely different. But whatever my fellow residents and I decide, I can live with.

Comment

U. S. Congressman Ed Case (D-Hawaii) officially filed his papers today for election to the United States Senate. Yipppeeee!

Auntie Lynn
                  Last edited by 1stwahine; July 14, 2006, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Lest this thread end up a battle between dueling press offices, please limit posts to personal comments and observations rather than posting campaign press releases and announcements. Mahalo.

Comment

I seen Rep. Case and a group of supporters sign waving corner of Keeaumoku and King Streets this afternoon.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

• Selective obedience, selective enforcement , Re: Case versus Akaka

-
                        -mel= "I seen Rep. Case and a group of supporters sign waving corner of Keeaumoku and King Streets this afternoon.

I seen political signs of various sorts in state highway rights-of-ways when supposedly such political paraphenalia are not supposed to be displayed as such until 45 days before the primary. But then, there's all these real estate sales companies and corporations with their advertisement paraphenalia on state and county rights-of-way in violation of state statutes and county ordinances, so what's the big deal? Selective obedience, selective enforcement...jUSt more of "the American Way".
                        Last edited by waioli kai; July 15, 2006, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Hawaii law only restricts campaign ads on public property. There is no law regulating what can be placed on private property.
                          The Outdoor Circle is asking for voluntary constraint as far as campaign signs go.

Article: StarBulletin.com

I have absolutely no problem with the amount or size of signs for any campaign or candidate that are posted on PRIVATE property. I think private property owners have the right to exercise their free speech rights by placing a sign or signs for the candidates they like.

Furthermore we are only looking at a 5 month window from now to the November elections. Most signs usually go down shortly afterward. It's all temporary.

Case and his supporters like many other candidates were hand holding their signs during the sign waving activity yesterday afternoon.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I have the sticker posted in this thread in the front entrance to my apartment. Today, one of my neighbors put up three big carrying Akaka signs in their yard across of me. I laughed.

We both can't Vote for the one's we're supporting.

We're still good neighbors...smile and wave to one another!

The Political Season in Hawai'i nei has begun!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

In the U.S. Senate race every voter in Hawaii can vote for either Akaka, Case, Coffee (the Republican candidate) or whoever files by the July 25 deadline. The U.S. Senate race is not district specific like the race for U.S. House.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                                In the U.S. Senate race every voter in Hawaii can vote for either Akaka, Case, Coffee (the Republican candidate) or whoever files by the July 25 deadline. The U.S. Senate race is not district specific like the race for U.S. House.
                                OMG!!!! hOW EMBARASSING! I am pUpUle!!!!

I neva know dat!

Well, das one moa vote for Ed!

Yeeeeppeeee!!!

Dances around my computa...(neva mind).

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Working...
                                X