Case versus Akaka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Case versus Akaka

I ran across this on a blog this morning. What is your take on it?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/pachac...f_b_25901.html

Comment

Originally posted by nohoboy
      I ran across this on a blog this morning. What is your take on it?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/pachac...f_b_25901.html
      I still voting for Congressman Ed Case!

Mahalo

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I dunno whether Billy Bob endorsing Akaka is such a good thing. He just appeared at a campaign rally for Joe Lieberman in Connecticut...he may be the Democratic "rent a pol" who's supposed to be stumping for the Democratic party in hotly contested elections, I guess, which means Ed Case is SOL because it appears that the money is on Akaka to win the race, with his support from the old time Dems in the state.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I think most would agree if the election were held today, Akaka would win. The problem is there’s a rumor going around that he will debate Case before the election. While his PBS interview proved he could hold his own in a Q&A-style forum devoid of interaction between candidates, the jury is still out on whether he could beat Case in a one-on-one debate.

Let’s face it. While Akaka’s age gives him the wisdom of our kupuna, it also hinders his ability speak in quick “Lingle-esque” sound bites without a prepared script in front of him. That's a clear indication that he could be in trouble if faced with answering hard questions within a time limit and having his will rattled by someone intent on serving up a stinging rebuttal.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
            I think most would agree if the election were held today, Akaka would win. The problem is there’s a rumor going around that he will debate Case before the election. While his PBS interview proved he could hold his own in a Q&A-style forum devoid of interaction between candidates, the jury is still out on whether he could beat Case in a one-on-one debate.

Let’s face it. While Akaka’s age gives him the wisdom of our kupuna, it also hinders his ability speak in quick “Lingle-esque” sound bites without a prepared script in front of him. That's a clear indication that he could be in trouble if faced with answering hard questions within a time limit and having his will rattled by someone intent on serving up a stinging rebuttal.
            Perceived wisdom among the professionals says no incumbent should ever debate a challenger; it just offers the newbie a forum and legitimizes him/her. The trouble with that wisdom is that the general voting population can often force a debate because it wants to see the two candidates discussing issues one-on-one.
            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Everybody complains about the political climate in Hawaii. Corruption, Inside Dealing, Favortism, Chronyism (sp), Bad Decisions, etc etc

But soft-shelled, ignorant liberals dominate the scene in Hawaii. So liberal politicians continue to get elected without hardly a challenge from the conservative side.

On Hawaii Island, it's a true epidemic. Especially at the council level.

And we wonder why things are the way they are. ?? ??? ?????? ?????

Many of you on this board just refuse to "get it" out of choice, not logic.
              FutureNewsNetwork.com
              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                Perceived wisdom among the professionals says no incumbent should ever debate a challenger; it just offers the newbie a forum and legitimizes him/her. The trouble with that wisdom is that the general voting population can often force a debate because it wants to see the two candidates discussing issues one-on-one.
                Personally, no matter how much I might support an incumbent, I still feel they owe us the opportunity to see them in a debate with their opponents. They have to re-apply for their job every X-number of years; that comes with the territory.

Comment

• US's Case of dissembly , Re: Case vs. Akaka

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                  Personally, no matter how much I might support an incumbent, I still feel they owe us the opportunity to see them in a debate with their opponents. They have to re-apply for their job every X-number of years; that comes with the territory.
                  Case never went out of his way to extend the opporitunities for debate to all of the candidates who were running for the same U.S. House position as he was in either of the two Special Elections in 2000 for Hawaii's 2nd U.S. House District.

In the first Special Election, as now, Case promoted himself as "an alternative" to someone older and more wise than he, and, in Case's mind, less deserving than he. He was so eager to take what he believed was his rightful place in Washington, DC representing Hawaii that he could not honor either Patsy Mink or her husband by his, Case's not contesting John Mink's candidacy for finishing the brief remainder of his wife's commitment to Hawai'i.

Above all else Ed Case has proven himself to be an opporitunUSt. His subsequent "service" in the U.S. House has also confirmed beyond all doubt that he is zionUSt as well, a most favored candidate of AIPAC, an aspiring protege of Joseph Lieberman, a militarUSt of/for Zionazirael.

When are all Case's promised "get-to-know-me-better" sessions going to take place throughout the 2nd District? Senator Akaka doesn't need to give Case a platform.
                  Last edited by waioli kai; July 30, 2006, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                    Many of you on this board just refuse to "get it" out of choice, not logic.
                    I think the majority (not all) who post on this board represent the most thoughtful, objective, even-keeled slice of Hawai‘i Nei. If you can’t convince the good people here, then “logically” you should not expect your argument(s) to hold weight with the average voting public in the Aloha State. Just my observations.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

• Re: The Race to Replace Case

Anybody have a theory to why Ed Case has such a majority
                      of signs posted all throughout Kauai? Is it the Grove Farms
                      (Steve Case) connection? Did he grow up in Kauai? How local
                      a guy is he?

Comment

Originally posted by bcliquot
                        a guy is he?
                        All information on Ed Case can be found on his Web Site @ http://www.edcase.com/senate/campaign_central.php

Dan Akaka on http://akaka.senate.gov/public/index.cfm

(ooops! wrong thread! )

MAHALO

Auntie Lynn
                        Last edited by 1stwahine; August 2, 2006, 06:41 PM.
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I think the poll question here needs to be updated to include the names of all the candidates for this seat.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by bcliquot
                            a guy is he?
                            It’s no secret this is a family affair. Unless you really hated him, wouldn’t YOU support your cousin? Did former U.S. Rep. Tom Gill’s son (Gary Gill) get elected to the city council? Did Gary Gill's brother (Eric Gill) overthrow Tony Rutledge as Secretary/Treasurer of the Local 5 union?

How about former Governor John Waihe‘e’s son John John getting elected to OHA? Need more examples?

It’s all about the ‘ohana, and Ed Case no doubt is milking it.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

Well, for the first and -- for all we know -- last time, Case and Akaka shared the same stage today before the Hawaii Publishers Association.

Akaka and Case trade jabs
                              Case Raises Akaka's Age As Campaign Issue

Case said Akaka is old. Akaka said we need seniority in the Senate, that wisdom matters, that Hawaiians respect their kupuna for a reason. Case said Akaka is old. Akaka said someone needs to speak up against the president's policies and be a voice of reason in a Republican-dominated government. Case countered by saying, however, that Akaka is old. Akaka said Case is only pretending to be a democrat, as evidenced by his conservative voting record. In defense, Case clarified that Akaka is a creaky, wrinkly geezer.

As is the case with most head-to-head engagements, I'd say the luncheon would usually default to be a win for Case. The contrast between their two styles couldn't be more stark, though. Based on this event alone, I can see seniors -- a reliable voting bloc -- backing Akaka just 'cause.

I thought this comment by Case was interesting:
                              I believe Senator Akaka is a product of and beholdant to the culture that exists here in Hawaii and across our culture today and I am not. I believe it is a broken culture. I believe it is a culture that stifles the development of leadership, I believe it is a culture that prevents forward thinking. I believe it is a culture that is purely self interested. I believe it is a culture that tries hard to prevent true choice in elections.
                              A sentiment that is not new, and one that's been expressed in different ways here at HT as well. But even if it's true, I gotta wonder how talk like that is going to win over new voters. That is, people that weren't already going to vote for him.

To say he is not a product of the culture of Hawaii -- even if he means, specifically, the dysfunctional aspects of Hawaii's political culture -- pretty much reinforces what most of his critics are saying. He doesn't know Hawaii.

Both KITV and KHON noted that Akaka went in for the hug rather than the ol' handshake.

Also saw the Barack Obama ad for Akaka tonight. Talk about bringing in a heavy hitter. (Impressive on one hand, but shows how threatened Akaka's campaign might actually feel on the other.) Interestingly, the audio was notably poor, and it seemed like his remarks were written by the same guy that wrote Dan Inouye's ad. A pity, 'cause I think Barack would have come across better if he didn't sound as if he was reading from a script.

Comment

Also saw the Barack Obama ad for Akaka tonight
                                shocking, shocking, shocking....

Saw it too... Had the same reaction as you pz!

But as a tv techie kind of guy...did you notice his eyes...they were obviously following cue cards!

Comment

Working...
                                X