Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Case versus Akaka

Originally posted by pzarquon
    Well, for the first and -- for all we know -- last time, Case and Akaka shared the same stage today before the Hawaii Publishers Association.
    Hey, were you there? I didn't see you, but there were a lot of familiar faces. Of course, there always are at these things.

I was disappointed by the open hostility of some audience members toward one of the candidates.

Comment

No, I wasn't there. Would've been, I suppose, though I hear it was a hot ticket!

Which candidate's supporters were rude, by your estimation? I'd guess Akaka's. From KHON's coverage, it seemed Akaka backers dominated (as they would, given the luncheon was held in the same building in his HQ), and that Case got a hard time from a crowd you'd hope would be open to hearing both viewpoints... or at least a bit more respectful.

If
      case was being impolitic overall (by daring to challenge a "kupuna"), his words spoke for themselves. Instead, his reception reflected poorly on Akaka's campaign (as I thought after Case's treatment at the state Democratic convention a few weeks back). There's a lot of stuff to go after Case on, but all this "oooh, he dares challenge the establishment?" huffing and puffing strikes me as ridiculous.

If it wasn't Akaka's supporters hissing, then I apologize -- but my overall disdain for how they're handling a campaign that should otherwise be a cakewalk stills stands!

Comment

It was a good day to be a member of the Hawai‘i Publishers Association. (I’m assuming Maddie got in free) That being said, why is it Mānoasurfer123, that it notable that Barack Obama seemed to be reading from a cue card? He’s been doing it since he ran for the U.S. Senate and it has served him well. Good for the Punahou boy. He just might make a network anchor one day.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

I was a delegate to the Democratic Convention in May. What I saw there was a very UN-balanced demonstration of support for one candidate over another. My understanding of party rules is that the party remains neutral in a contested primary race, then supports whoever wins in the primary. Well, let me tell you - it was not neutral. The total, blatant support of one candidate over another was amazing! I do not support either one of the candidates at this point, but - after reading the news reports of todays luncheon, I would have to say that I am leaning towards Akaka. I think what Case did in playing the "Age" card was a bit underhanded and very disrespectful.

I was accused at convention of not being a true democrat because I asked why BOTH candidates did not have their campaign items displayed. That was a very hurtful accusation and also, very untrue. My feeling is that party rules are meant to be followed. Whether I support one candidate over another doesn't matter - what matters is that the party remain "pono" and follow its own rules.

ah well - I guess I don't matter in the big picture - it's all been decided already so why even go vote?
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I think what Case did in playing the "Age" card was a bit underhanded and very disrespectful.
            Note to future opponents: Grab the "Age card" soundbyte, use it on Case when he's a senior citizen.

I'm surprised AARP didn't lambast case. Meh nevermind, nothing really surprises me anymore.

Comment

Interesting, Anapuni. I think Case's harping on Akaka's age is lame, too, and on that issue alone, would definitely lean toward voting Akaka. But the behavior within the party you describe, and as I've noted as well, is what sours me on Akaka. Case might be a punk, but the way everyone is falling in behind Akaka and tsk tsking from on high is lame.

There are so many differentiators on real issues to campaign on, but if the majority of the message we're getting from Case is, "Akaka is old," the majority of the message I'm getting from Akaka's team is, "The Democratic party is 'ours,' and resistance is futile."

Which, you know, will probably get Akaka re-elected, because it's true. Look at the party convention, which was basically an Akaka rally. Loyal to the powers that be, yada yada yada. But I don't see the status quo being maintained forever, and resisting change from within will only make externally-influenced change more painful down the line. Which, in a sense, is what Case is saying. Just not very well.

Comment

PZ's arguments are exactly why I'm not voting for either Akaka OR Case.

Well...that and the fact that I don't live Hawai`i...piffle!

Comment

comes down to the old cliche,"what have you done for me lately"? As a Dem myself I feel like I'm in a terrible situation. On the national scene I support the DNC 100%. But locally these guys have to gain my respect. Can anybody tell me what Sen Akaka has done for his state lately, something that has profoundly effected the entire community? I'm an equal opputunist too,I'm not trying to pick on Mr. Akaka. I really don't care for the GOP either Lingle, Hemmings, etc.. They all like to act like their you know that their you know what...doesn't stink!

Sure, for years the DNC was powered by the Ariyoshi Machine....but no more! These guys need to start representing their community, not voice the opinion of some lobbyist who wants to go golfing & needs a few$$$$!!! I need to see real change in the community.

The election in Conn. yesterday showed that half the American public is tired of maintaining the course, and wants real change! GOP polititians are all making excuses today as to why Liebermann lost to LeMont....why should they care?
                  Last edited by Beachboy; August 9, 2006, 07:34 AM.

Comment

That being said, why is it Mānoasurfer123, that it notable that Barack Obama seemed to be reading from a cue card? He’s been doing it since he ran for the U.S. Senate and it has served him well. Good for the Punahou boy. He just might make a network anchor one day.
                    He wouldn't need cue cards if he had a true emotional feeling about getting Akaka into the seat!

To me it's directed speech... "please say this... even if it's not what you really want to say!"

Comment

Originally posted by Beachboy
                      The election in Conn. yesterday showed that half the American public is tired of maintaining the course, and wants real change! GOP polititians are all making excuses today as to why Liebermann lost to LeMont....why should they care?
                      Well, half of Connecticut's voters, at least. But yeah, the Lamont/Lieberman contest as a primary upset is certianly going to be studied and debated nationally, and most definitely by Case and Akaka watchers. Of the many, many analyses out there, I liked this one.

No doubt both Case and Akaka campaigns will see something they like in Lamont's win. Akaka will say, "Hey, opposition to the Administration's Iraq policy has a strong pull in our party," and hence Case's leanings are a serious liability. Case will say, "Lamont represents change to the party establishment (Lieberman, Clinton, etc.), and voters no longer need to be afraid of change."

On the other hand, there's probably some merit to what Republican commentators are saying, which is Lamont's win indeed shows the pull of the Iraq issue... but also reveals that the more extreme fringes of the party that's focused on a single issue (Iraq, or just "anyone but Bush") have dominated the stage. And with "reasonable" candidates like Liebermann (who rightfully notes that he's pretty reliably Democratic on all other core issues) clobbered by the ghost of Howard Dean, ultimately the Dems are ceding the stage again to their opponents. Again, keeping this to Case vs. Akaka, who is the Lieberman and who is the Lamont in this context? Is the established Akaka the single-issue Lamont (even though Lamont is the newcomer)? Is the upstart, feisty Case the "moderate" Lieberman (even though Lieberman represents the party establishment)?

Like a Rorschach inkblot, I think everyone in Hawaii politics will be able to read something they like into what happened in Connecticut.

Comment

Out of curiosity, I thought I'd look at how much money is flowing into the federal office campaigns for our little bitty state. Here's the Hawai'i page at Open Secrets.org for 2006. The sidebar to the left allows you to look at the money in various ways (in-state contributions, out-of-state contributions, largest industry contributions, etc.)

For the moment, Akaka leads Case in total money received by about 2:1, $1.8M to $.9M.

From the site:
                        All the numbers on this page are based on Federal Election Commission data released electronically on Monday, July 10, 2006.
                        Last edited by Linkmeister; August 9, 2006, 09:04 PM. Reason: Add effective date
                        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                          PZ's arguments are exactly why I'm not voting for either Akaka OR Case.

Well...that and the fact that I don't live Hawai`i...piffle!
                          Heh ... Details!

Comment

Akaka may be old, but hey, he's on YouTube! Well, sort of. Inouye endorsement here, Barack Obama endorsement here.

By the way... anyone know what the deal is with Republican candidate Chas "Akacase" Collins of Pahoa? I sincerely doubt that was his nickname before this race. One Chas Collins ran as a Democrat in 2002, and no "Akacase" there! As Doug noted, it sounds a bit like "The Distinguished Gentleman."

Comment

Congressman Ed Case and Senator Dan Akaka are running even with 43 days left to the primary election, a national polling company says.

Rasmussen Reports surveyed 500 likely Hawaii voters on August 7th. The results were Akaka 47%, Case 45%, 8% Undecided. (http://www.rasmussenreports.com/2006...waiiSenate.htm)

Rasmussen Reports noted:

"With a little more than a month to go in the primary battle, the contest is either candidate's to win."

Aunty Lynn
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Fascinating. Good stuff. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, there's some serious disconnect in the way Akaka's campaign and the party is treating Case.

On one hand, you get the impression that they want to marginalize Case as some kind of small-time wannabe, barking at the party establishment like a little chihuahua, basically not worth their time to engage on the issues. Tsk-tsk, for shame, yada yada yada. On the other, they bring in Kucinich, Obama, Inouye, and basically the full weight of said party establishment to pump Akaka up (with his HPA appearance and the ad with his Iraq speech the only prominent ways I've seen him speak for himself).

The latter indicates they're earnestly scared, even if they don't want to admit it. And this isn't the first poll to indicate there's good reason for that urgency.

Oddly enough, also earlier in this thread, I said I was probably leaning Case. He had my vote in previous elections. But the more I hear him talk in this run, the less I like him. So maybe my wife and I won't cancel each other out after all.

Comment

Working...
                                X