• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Case versus Akaka

Originally posted by 1stwahine
    No, he is running on his "own" merits!

Auntie Lynn

Yeah well the Ipod generation doesn't know too much about the history of this man but they sure know AOL.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
      Yeah well the Ipod generation doesn't know too much about the history of this man but they sure know AOL.
      http://www.edcase.com if anybody is interested.

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
        You think AOL and his brother has anything to do with his popularity?

Just FOI, Cousin, Not brother. Not that it matters.

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea
          Oops sorry
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea
            I for one will have a very tough time choosing between Akaka and Case. But this is a very important point you are bringing up. You can look at both ways: Brother helping Cousin = good for Hawai‘i high-tech industry and supposedly the health care industry if you believe Steve Case’s “new corporate strategy” mantra.

OR… Brother helping cousin = crowning of a new old-boy network. Look how much land Steve Case has purchased since he left AOL, and settled back here in the islands. He obviously is planning on spending enough time here to do something “consequential.”

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

Cases arguements in his own support have been interesting.

1) Seniority: Seniority is so important in the Senate that we should dump the guy with over a decade of seniority and choose the guy who has 1 year. Does that really make sense if the current guy, Akaka, hasn't screwed up in any obvious way? Sure, in the long term it might, but that's not how people vote and Case knows that. People in hawaii vote their ethnic bias first and their pocketbook second.

2) Akaka Bill: Case says it's not important because Inouye is the critical force behind any passage or death of the bill. While that's probably true, Akaka is the only Hawaiian in the Senate. The author of the Bill. A guy with a decade more experience in congress and the Senate than Case, but he pretends to argue that its all irrelevant. So now we're back to the seniority issue. If Case is agrueing than Akaka's experince up to this point is irrelevant to passing his own bill, then where's the benefit to seniority???? Case has got me confused. Actually, thats why I don't think Case believes what he's saying. He's just saying what he has to say to get elected. Hey a politician BSing to get elected! What a surprise???

Niether makes sense to me. That's why I still say Case is basing his decision to run agianst Akaka right now on the fact that he believes there is a large silent majority in Hawaii against the Akaka Bill and he intends to tap that. I might not be right but until some other explanation comes up that's what I'm going with.
              Last edited by kamuelakea; January 29, 2006, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Interesting discussion. I dream of term limits, then the seniority issue is moot and we get rid of the bane of politics - the career politician.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp
                  Interesting discussion. I dream of term limits, then the seniority issue is moot and we get rid of the bane of politics - the career politician.
                  I'll drink to that!

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Ya'll don't know me..I am new

But let me ask this: how many of you have ever met either man in person and had a chance to chat with them one on one?

If you have, and recently...what were your impressions?

Comment

Originally posted by foolish heart

But let me ask this: how many of you have ever met either man in person and had a chance to chat with them one on one?

Congressman Ed Case with Troopers

Congressman Ed Case with my daughter!

Ed Case is sincere. Out of his busy schedule, he always took the time to talk to me...even if I'm not in his District. Amazing but true. I am supporting him wholeheartedly. My children lives in his District.

I hold the same impressions of him. He is absolutely AWESOME!

Auntie Lynn
                      Last edited by 1stwahine; January 29, 2006, 11:07 PM.

Comment

A man of strong but silent opinions. Cold. Calculated. Serious.
                        A great chess player.

Not warm or chummy. CEO type.

A young Dick Cheney.

But I've only met him once. Very brief. So don't take my impression as fact.

Comment

I not going vote for Case. He was at Kapiolani Park and he neva shake my hand. Not even a hello. But he was nice to other people. I guess I don't look like a voter. But that's his fault for judging people by looks.

If Case is the future then I will vote for him, in the future. Akaka is not done. He should stay in office until then.

Comment

Originally posted by i-hungry
                            I not going vote for Case. He was at Kapiolani Park and he neva shake my hand. Not even a hello.
                            Oh yeah, now that is a brilliantly logical reason to not vote for someone.

<shaking head in amazement>

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Thanks for the replies people and the great pics Auntie!

But what about Sen Akaka? Who has had a lengthy talk with him one on one?

Comment

Thanks for the replies people and the great pics Auntie!

But what about Sen Akaka? Who has had a lengthy talk with him one on one?
                                You are welcome "foolish heart!"

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Working...
                                X