Case versus Akaka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Case versus Akaka

heheheh Look for me holding signs and waving near Honolulu Hale with my Papale on! Today 4:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. Ed Case for US SENATE!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Ai-yah. Is it sign-waving season already?

Comment

Ho Auntie Lynn. You should have waited until Saturday. A little bird told me the media will actually cover Ed Case’s Open House event (unlike Friday’s light-turnout political signwaving).

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
          Ho Auntie Lynn. You should have waited until Saturday. A little bird told me the media will actually cover Ed Case’s Open House event (unlike Friday’s light-turnout political signwaving).
          I didn't go for any media to show up. I went there to show my support for Ed. I had fun, I met others who felt the same way and I talked story with Ed and his wife.

I got the call to come out the day before. If I had recieved the call the same day or hours before, I would have gone too. I am invited to attend today's Open House ~ I'll stay far away from the media's cameras...I'm camera shy.heheheh

Mahalo,

Auntie Lynn

btw: If I like talk to media people, I just come to HT.
          ...now be careful, before your computa eats you up foa real!
          Last edited by 1stwahine; February 11, 2006, 02:52 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the insightful comments TuNnl. I agree that Case probably chose to run against Akaka because he knows Inouye is impossible to beat and prefers not to re-challenge Lingle whom he lost to in the Governor’s race. My question is: Is he doing it for Hawaii or is he doing it out of political ambition? I can see why it would be good for HIM now, but I disagree that it is good for HAWAII right now. Here’s why.

Ed Case has youth, but lacks experience having served only 4 years in Washington. Ed Case has some constituent support but lacks the endorsement of any community leaders, U.S. Senate democrat or any of his U.S. Representative colleagues to my knowledge, no labor union, community organizations, or state lawmaker that I’ve heard of. Ed Case has ambition but lacks the ability to work with others toward that goal. I am unaware of anything significant he’s accomplished in his short time in Washington. Despite all this, he is asking us to replace someone more qualified than him with a longer track record and greater ability to do more good for Hawaii in Washington, with him.

Dan Akaka has 30 years of experience as a Washington lawmaker with earned seniority, friendships and respect on both sides of the isle. He has delivered for Hawaii in more ways than could fit on this page. His ability to work together with others is understood. In his early years as a U.S. Representative he convinced speaker Tip Oneil to select him for the appropriations committee, arguably the most powerful committee in the house. Much of what he’s done goes unnoticed because he isn’t one to seek attention for his accomplishments. With regard to his agenda, while everyone knows about the Akaka bill there’s much more to it than that with initiatives in agriculture, active military and veteran’s benefits and alternative fuel for our future. I am proud that he is in Washington representing the people of Hawaii. He has a lot of good years left in him, and as long as he is willing to use them to serve the people of Hawaii, I will support him. There’s more info on his website. http://akaka.senate.gov/

For me this decision is easy. Dan Akaka continues to earn my vote.
            My prediction: Akaka wins the Democratic primary and gets re-elected and Ed Case runs again for the house seat he is giving up.

Comment

Auntie Lynn and Congressman Ed Case!
              momthreesoldiers!
              Last edited by admin; February 13, 2006, 05:31 AM. Reason: Resized photo per request.

Comment

Originally posted by measuretwice-cutonce
                My prediction: Akaka wins the Democratic primary and gets re-elected and Ed Case runs again for the house seat he is giving up.
                If this happens, there is no way Rep. Case can enter this year's race to run for his House seat. Once a person declares himself a candidate for one seat over another, he cannot change races after the July 25 filing deadline.

He can run for the same seat in 2 years to try and unseat the new incumbent who will have won his Congressional seat in this November's election.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I am sorry if I wasn't clear. What I meant to say was that I can see Ed Case running again for the seat he is giving up, 2 years from now, in 2008.
                  I think Ed Case loves politics too much to just retire from it if he loses.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                    I'll stay far away from the media's cameras...I'm camera shy.heheheh
                    Yeah, right, Aunty Lynn. That’s why you get dat humayngous picture of yourself with Ed Case. Give me a break.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                    USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
                      Yeah, right, Aunty Lynn. That’s why you get dat humayngous picture of yourself with Ed Case. Give me a break.
                      Good Morning TuNnL!

...das wasn't the Media's camera. das wuz mine! heheheh

Auntie Lynn

Note: Mahalo Admin!
                      Last edited by 1stwahine; February 13, 2006, 07:12 AM.

Comment

We just got the Americans for Democratic Action/Hawai'i Chapter newsletter yesterday. In it they endorse Akaka over Case, and they outline why. They recommend that readers go to Progressive Punch and compare voting records of the two on a dozen items that ADA has identified as important to the organization and its members. It's useful.

Example: Foreign Policy -- Akaka 92.86% with ADA, Case 64.79%, meaning that Case is more supportive of the war in Iraq, Gitmo, etc.

Salt cellars required, of course.
                        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

If anybody's interested, April 17 is the first official debate between Ed Case and Daniel Akaka's campaigns for Congress. Should be lots of sturm und drang from both sides.

AKAKA-CASE DEBATE
                          "Challenging the Establishment"

Monday, April 17
                          3:00pm-4:00pm
                          Warmer Auditorium
                          1060 Bishop St., Penthouse

The College of International Studies will host a debate between Rep. Ed Case (D-2nd) and Senator Daniel Akaka, candidates for the US Senate seat this fall. Ed Case's challenge to a respected incumbent is controversial and has roiled the waters of Hawaii's political establishment. Join us for a kick-off of what promises to be an exciting and contentious primary campaign that will culminate at the Primary Election on September 23rd.

Statements by the two candidates will be followed by a Question and Answer session.

Please note: Rep. Ed Case has confirmed he will attend. Senator Akaka has been invited, and if unable to attend, we expect a representative from his campaign.
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Maybe.

I have my doubts that both men will show up, and I'd hesitate to call it "official." But, who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                              If anybody's interested, April 17 is the first official debate between Ed Case and Daniel Akaka's campaigns for Congress.
                              (...)
                              Monday, April 17
                              (...)
                              The College of International Studies will host a debate between Rep. Ed Case (D-2nd) and Senator Daniel Akaka
                              (...)
                              Statements by the two candidates will be followed by a Question and Answer session.
                              Please note: Rep. Ed Case has confirmed he will attend. Senator Akaka has been invited, and if unable to attend, we expect a representative from his campaign.
                              What da heck?!? The so-called debate is only three days from now and Akaka has not confirmed his attendance (and they only "expect" someone from his camp)... so exactly what are they announcing?
                              "Attention: there may or may not be a debate in three days. But look how cool we are for announcing it anyway!"
                              Sheesh.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I recieved this from The Case Campaign Committee.

March 27, 2006

U.S. Congressman and U.S. Senate candidate Ed Case has accepted an invitation by the Office of Hawaiian Affairs (OHA) to participate with U.S. Senator Daniel Akaka in a U.S. Senatorial Forum on live statewide television prior to the September 23rd primary election.

OHA, established under the Hawaii State Constitution in 1978, is the official representative agency for Native Hawaiians. OHA Administrator Clyde Namu‘o wrote Case and Akaka to advise them of the forum, tentatively scheduled between September 11th and 22nd, and to invite their participation.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Working...
                                X