Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Case versus Akaka

Originally posted by LikaNui
    What da heck?!? The so-called debate is only three days from now and Akaka has not confirmed his attendance (and they only "expect" someone from his camp)... so exactly what are they announcing?
    As Poinographer notes, it's a common tactic among political organizers to invite candidates and widely promote the event, even without the candidates confirmed attendance, and just hope that critical mass is somehow reached so as to ensure the candidates eventually show up. Obviously a TV forum would probably have better luck netting the candidates than a small community group.

Also wisely noted by Poinographer, challengers are very eager to participate in debates, whereas incumbents are less so. So I'd expect to see lots of "debates" planned where Ed Case is they only guy guaranteed to participate. Akaka will be much more selective.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
      As Poinographer notes, it's a common tactic among political organizers to invite candidates and widely promote the event, even without the candidates confirmed attendance, and just hope that critical mass is somehow reached so as to ensure the candidates eventually show up. Obviously a TV forum would probably have better luck netting the candidates than a small community group.

Also wisely noted by Poinographer, challengers are very eager to participate in debates, whereas incumbents are less so. So I'd expect to see lots of "debates" planned where Ed Case is they only guy guaranteed to participate. Akaka will be much more selective.
      Since OHA had a part in arranging this "debate" wouldn't you think Akaka would feel that this was one of those times when he needed to be present and not let one of his "representatives" field questions, though?

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Where did you learn that OHA has any part of this event? That would lend it a bit more credibility, if it's true.

Hard to believe that OHA would agree to be affiliated with this type of format. It seems so, well, amateurish.

Comment

Originally posted by poinographer
          Where did you learn that OHA has any part of this event? That would lend it a bit more credibility, if it's true.

Hard to believe that OHA would agree to be affiliated with this type of format. It seems so, well, amateurish.
          Put it this way, it's making the electronic rounds on all the sovereignty websites right now. The coconut wireless is getting the word out.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

poinographer, I posted the information. All you had to do if you didn't believe it was email me and ask. I've sent you the information to verify where I got it.

Auntie Lynn

Case Accepts Office of Hawaiian Affairs Offer of Statewide TV Forum with Akaka

Any questions: edcase@edcase.com
            Last edited by 1stwahine; April 14, 2006, 12:37 PM.
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Where did you learn that OHA has any part of this event? That would lend it a bit more credibility, if it's true. Hard to believe that OHA would agree to be affiliated with this type of format. It seems so, well, amateurish.
              I just now checked OHA's website at http://www.oha.org/ and there's no mention of any debate there.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

The OHA connection is also hard to fathom without their champion, Akaka, confirmed to attend. ??

Lynn, I receive the same spam emails from Case.

However, that email doesn't confirm that the event on Monday is the OHA event, it only says that at some time before the primary there will be an OHA-sponsored debate and that Case has agreed to participate.

Comment

The OHA connection is also hard to fathom without their champion, Akaka, confirmed to attend. ??

Lynn, I receive the same spam emails from Case.

However, that email doesn't confirm that the event on Monday is the OHA event, it only says that at some time before the primary there will be an OHA-sponsored debate and that Case has agreed to participate.
                  Spam? hahahahaha Still, it gives me valuable information. As a supporter to assist in the campaign efforts in getting the candidate I believe in elected...ED CASE!

As for OHA. It would be something if Akaka doesn't show.

As for the email. I posted as is. I didn't add anything else. Infact, I just posted the first two paragraphs.

Lynn

Comment

Yes, Lynn, and the second paragraph you posted said that a debate is tentatively scheduled for September. Not April.

Until something much more definitive comes along, I'm going to assume this event is of, by, and for HPU students/faculty - not OHA.

Comment

Yes, Lynn, and the second paragraph you posted said that a debate is tentatively scheduled for September. Not April.

Until something much more definitive comes along, I'm going to assume this event is of, by, and for HPU students/faculty - not OHA.
                      It's Good Friday!

That's the email I got! The same one you got! Right? Ok. September. Who said April? I didn't.
                      OHA Administrator Clyde Namu‘o wrote Case and Akaka to advise them of the forum, tentatively scheduled between September 11th and 22nd, and to invite their participation.

Lynn

Excuse me! Waves hand in the air!!!!! Excuse me!

You was talking April - I was talking September.

Everybody must be rolling with laughter on the floor!

...dis makes one hell of a story for a BLOG!
                      Last edited by 1stwahine; April 14, 2006, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Huh? "Who said April?"

Well, the announcement by Miulang that Monday's event was the OHA event is what brought this all up, if you've forgotten already... then you chimed in with Case's email, apparently trying to confirm that unsubstantiated rumor.

HA!

Nevermind.

Comment

Huh? "Who said April?"

Well, the announcement by Miulang that Monday's event was the OHA event is what brought this all up, if you've forgotten already... then you chimed in with Case's email, apparently trying to confirm that unsubstantiated rumor.

HA!

Nevermind.
                          No, no, no. I knew Case's email was for September. My stomach is hurting from laughing to much. Happy Easter Weekend. Thanks for the laughs.

Lynn

Comment

Well, Time Magazine's indictment this week of Dan Akaka as one of the five US Senate's worst members sure isn't going to sit very well with his supporters in Hawai'i. How is the Akaka group going to counter what the Times article says he is?

"... "After 16 years on the job... the junior senator from Hawaii is a master of the minor resolution and the bill that dies in committee."

Here's a correct link to the Time story. Note that the main thrust of the article is about the 10 BEST Senators.

Miulang
                            Last edited by Miulang; April 17, 2006, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                              Well, Time Magazine's indictment this week of Dan Akaka as one of the five US Senate's worst members sure isn't going to sit very well with his supporters in Hawai'i. How is the Akaka group going to counter what the Times article says he is?

"... "After 16 years on the job... the junior senator from Hawaii is a master of the minor resolution and the bill that dies in committee."

Here's a correct link to the Time story. Note that the main thrust of the article is about the 10 BEST Senators.

Miulang
                              Time Warner/AOL could probably use a Case in the corporatUSt Senate.

Comment

re: Time vs. Akaka

Here is an example of one of Akaka's 'minor' contributions which ruffled major feathers in the US industry of war:
                                Big Rewards for Defense Firms
                                Extra Fees Paid Regardless of Performance, GAO Finds
                                ... .. .

The GAO began looking at corporate award fees after Marvin Sambur, who was the Air Force acquisition chief, attended a New York investor conference in 2003 and heard defense industry executives talk cavalierly about receiving high award payments.

"I was amazed," Sambur said in a recent interview, likening the executives' attitude to that of students expecting an "A" in class "just for showing up." He then found that the Air Force was paying contractors about 90 percent of the possible fees, no matter what their performance, so he said he set out to tighten Air Force policies.

The GAO study was requested by John Ensign (R-Nev.) and Daniel K. Akaka (D-Hawaii), members of the Senate Armed Services Committee, in response to Sambur's concerns. ...

By Charles R. Babcock
                                Washington Post Staff Writer
                                Monday, April 17, 2006

Comment

Working...
                                X