Case versus Akaka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Case versus Akaka

Some local follow-up on the TIME story, including a non-response from Case (who no doubt is giggling with glee):

Time calls Akaka 'master of the minor resolution'
    "After 16 years on the job, the junior senator from Hawaii is a master of the minor resolution and the bill that dies in committee," Time said. Calling Akaka one of five "who don't make a difference in the U.S. Senate," Time called his work product "innocuous" and "unambitious..."

"What can I add to it? Nothing. Time came out with its opinion. It is a national magazine, it is their call and I think it is important information for voters to consider," Case said. Asked if he thought his opponent's rating was deserved, Case declined to answer, saying, "I think I can do this job and I can do it well right from the beginning. I don't think I am going to be on that list..."
    The Advertiser article on the TIME story is here. Case was asked about his own record in the House:
    "It's a little different comparing three years as a junior member of the minority party in the U.S. House against 30 years as a member of both the majority and the minority party" in Congress, he said. "I think after 30 years there should be a couple of markers along the way to indicate national leadership."
    As to the "debate" at HPU discussed earlier, I'm sure much hay was made of Akaka's absence (and that of his staff), and Case enjoyed an open stage. Akaka apparently had a scheduling conflict, and was at "a native Hawaiian leadership conference" according to the Star-Bulletin.
    Last edited by pzarquon; April 18, 2006, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Whats the old name AOL - TIME - WARNER?

AOL was Case
      as in Steve Case
      as in Cousin to Ed Case

AOL TIME WARNER?

AOL TIME?

AOL CASE?

TIME CASE?

TIME AKAKA?

Noooooooo, Time wouldn't have been motivated by previous relationships at the country club, no?

No Time is an honorable "news" source. They're journalists. They wouldn't write letters that reveal a personal bias.

Would they?

Comment

Time versus Akaka

k=
        Whats the old name AOL - TIME - WARNER?

AOL was Case

as in Steve Case

as in Cousin to Ed Case

AOL TIME WARNER ? AOL TIME ? AOL CASE ? TIME CASE ?

TIME AKAKA? Noooooooo, ...

Time wouldn't have been motivated by previous relationships at the country club, no? =k

Were that it is no more than the country club they share, and not as it is,,, ownership of so much US seized, US occupied real estate on Hawaiian islands. Premier US capitalUSt$ Steve Case, Inc. {Maui, Kauai} , Jeff Stone, Inc. {Oahu, Kauai}, and other such corporatists' wealth own/control significant portions of each island's real estate. Their multi-sourced incomes are well insulated from Hawaii state income taxes; their wealth preservation community permeats the very soul upon the land under our feet, employing select lawyers, bankers, contractors, merchants, and of course, through revolving doors duly employed, or otherwise compromisingly deployed public officials whose lifetime county and state retirement benefits will come from presumed-to-be-evergrowing county tax receipts to which are minimally contributed/taxed income from coporatUSts themselves.
        k= No Time is an honorable "news" source. They're journalists. They wouldn't write letters that reveal a personal bias. Would they ? =k
        hsb= 'Calling Akaka one of five "who don't make a difference in the U.S. Senate," Time called his work product "innocuous" and "unambitious."

The Time piece, saying Akaka's seniority "has placed him in a position of potential influence," quotes Jennifer Duffy of the Cook Political Report that Akaka's "interests seem more parochial." ' =hsb

Having coporatUSt of the U.S. fault a long serving representative for Hawaiians for being parochial provides a shamelessly revealing window into the corporatUSt$ mind; when parochial means:
        pa·ro·chi·al
        Function: adjective
        Etymology: Middle English parochiall, from Anglo-French parochial, from Late Latin parochialis, from parochia parish
        -- more at PARISH
        Date: 14th century
        1 : of or relating to a church parish
        2 : of or relating to a parish as a unit of local government

3 : confined or restricted as if within the borders of a parish : limited in range or scope (as to a narrow area or region) : PROVINCIAL, NARROW
        pro·vin·cial
        1 : the superior of a province of a Roman Catholic religious order
        2 : one living in or coming from a province
        3 a : a person of local or restricted interests or outlook b : a person lacking urban polish or refinement

Senator Akaka is anything except "a person lacking urban polish or refinement", and so what if it appears Senator Akaka is merely "a person of local interests" . What state in the U.S. could not appreciate having a U.S. Senator whose focus, heart and soul, is from inside his state outward.

Senator Akaka, like Patsy Mink, is not using his representation of the state of Hawaii to advance his stature anywhere.... President Case? Vice President Case? Secretary of Interior Case? Secretary of Defense Case? .... like 16 years of a Senator Case? 8? 6? 4? 2?

The corporatUSt$' Carlyle Group, Morgan Stanley, Caldwell Bankers, banks of Hawaii corporations cannot, in effect, buy a U.S. Senator who is not only not focused on legitimitizing and maximizing corporatUSt$' wealth and military in the Hawaiian islands, but a U.S. Senator who when not initiate, at least toe the USraeli line in U.S. foreign policy and affairs. Via East Coast media empire's, corporatUSt$ can however defame Senator Akaka, attempting to make him irrelevant, empowering their Ed Case to protect and project corporatUSt interest$.
        Last edited by waioli kai; April 18, 2006, 02:55 PM.

Comment

I find the whole race provacative.

There are those who think Case's move is shrewd and gutsy and admire the man for it. Such risk-taking speaks of leadership.

Others think its brash and ballsy and he deserves to lose to teach him manners and humility. As well as teach him that the good of the party comes first, for the party IS the people (politics and all that other stuff aside).

I like Akaka. Did not agree with him voting record on certain issues. Vehemently opposed on a few of them. But I have always thought him to be a man of principle and values. The man is getting old, though.

I like Case. Gave him money. Got a pic with him. Voted for him even though I knew a few of Mink's supporters who thought that he should have had the respect to let John Mink carry out the end of that short term so that he could finish her work (remember the special election?), and then run for the seat during the regular election. He is demonstrating a pattern and I don't know if he will get my next vote, because I believe the best qualities of leadership stem from being a team player.

pax

Comment

This is getting good.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

Re: wkai "Time versus Akaka" post revision

re: wkai "Time verses Akaka" post revision/correction

The corporatUSt$' Carlyle Group, Morgan Stanley, Coldwell Bankers, banks of Hawaii corporations cannot, in effect, buy a U.S. Senator who is not only not focused on legitimitizing and maximizing corporatUSt$' wealth and military in the Hawaiian islands, but who is not a U.S. Senator who , when not initiate, at least toe the corporatUSt$' USraeli line in U.S. foreign policy and affairs. Via East Coast media empires, corporatUSt$ can however defame Senator Akaka, attempting to make him irrelevant, empowering their Ed Case to protect and project corporatUSt interest$ not only in Hawai'i but wherever the injection, projection of imperialUS$', nationalUS$ "interest" is, by themselves, deemed to merit the wrath of justUS.
              Last edited by waioli kai; April 21, 2006, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Ed and Audrey were signwaving in Kalihi a week ago -- saw 'em in front of Farrington High School. Kalihi's not 2nd District, but I guess a lot of Windward residents pass through on their way to Likelike Highway.

Comment

Anyone catch the coverage of the state Democratic convention last week? Ed Case snubbed as folks filed past him carrying Akaka signs, top party folks dissing him from the stage, and the room clearing out before he took the podium? Surprisingly tense stuff for local politics... though I guess it's more interesting than "more of the same."

Have there been any independent surveys as to how the race stands? I know Case sponsored a poll that showed a pretty close race, but... that's hardly an unbiased result.

While I won't say Case is popular, I will say that I feel a disconnect between what the official party line is ("Loyalty! Tradition! True party values!") and what's going on among the voting public. Akaka, Inouye, Abercrombie and friends may be trying to depict Case as just an annoying insect buzzing around, but he's got a lot more support than that.

Among hardcore dems that I know, it's a dead heat at worst. At best, the "old guard" stands to be shaken up quite a bit this year. I think the way to beat Case will be to indeed engage him on the issues, as a contender, not to pretend he's a nobody who simply doesn't play well with others.

Comment

I'd say the way to beat Case is to paint him as Republican-lite, citing his vote on the bankruptcy bill, among other votes. Trouble is, maybe that's what the people in the 2nd district want, so it might not work.
                    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

• Re: Case versus Akaka

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                      I'd say the way to beat Case is to paint him as Republican-lite, citing his vote on the bankruptcy bill, among other votes. Trouble is, maybe that's what the people in the 2nd district want, so it might not work.
                      This talk about the "Old Guard" or long time Democrats being against Case is a bit wishful thinking. A lot of leftists in the party are interested in taking Ed on.

Many of you might not know but in 2004, we saw a lot of Kucinich supporters go into the party. Many of those who are left are very unhappy with Ed Case. This talk about Republican lite is a very real thing for them. To make it worse, Ed is close to Liebermann, and Liebermann really gets them mad.

I predict Akaka will win this election. The unions and leftists support Akaka. It sure looks like an uphill battle for Case to me.

Comment

• right-wing damnation, Re: Akaka vs. "Hawaii's" Case 'n Time mag

Hawai'i Senator Akaka vs. "Hawaii's" Case 'n Time magazine
                        Time Is on Their Side www.thenation.com/doc/20060612/alterman

"In recent years, Time, America's largest-circulation newsweekly, winner of the 2006 National Magazine Award for General Excellence, and undoubtedly the nation's most influential magazine, has morphed into a kind of glossy sibling to the Wall Street Journal. Like the Journal, its hard news pages remain home to generally reliable, often excellent (though sometimes frivolous) political reporting. But its opinion pages are filled with vitriol, anger and abuse, almost always directed at liberals.

"During much of the 1980s and early '90s, Time had a relatively balanced set of political contributors, ...
                        "... (now Time magazine) share(s) with Krauthammer a desire to paint liberals--and most Democrats--as either crazy or treasonous, and often both."
                        The Time mag hit on Senator Akaka in mid-April is just a sample of what US's Ed Case for U.S. Senate campaign and congressional staffers has in store for Senator Akaka. Poorly disguised ambushes of Senator Akaka accompanied by their whooping it up with their "Plan for the Future Now" invocations of fear. Case's idea of the future is: US Stryker Forces:
                        (2006-7)
                        Training Area, Saddle Road, Phase II $17,000,000
                        Helemano, land easement $1,400,000
                        Lualualei, ordnance holding areas 6,320,000
                        South Range, land acquisition 19,400,000
                        on Hawai'i island forever, Pacific Missile Range Facility on Kaua'i forever, and everything in between dedicated forever to US's U.S. government, militarist purposes and the "free market" of corporatUSts better interests, specifically,,, of corporatist fascism in general.
                        Mr. HiloBoy Ed a corporatUSt fascists? Not a direct profiteer, perhaps, but a most certain enabler. Ed Case in the U.S. House for more than four years now has proved one thing for sure: He has not the guts for, not the aptitude for, not the intellect for, not the need for rocking the boat. His idea for the future, regardless his rhetoric, can only be: "More of the same." What else can be expected of a man in his domestic views when his foreign affairs views have exhibited his complete submission to militant zionUSt propaganda: At one of his "Chat with Ed" sessions, Case expressed his conviction that U.S. invasion-occupation of Iraq and zionUSt maintenance of Israel in Palestine were not connected, were of "no relation, one to the other".
                        "... One could easily fill this (The Nation) magazine with examples of these writers' vicious comments about almost anyone they associate with the left."
                        "... Time's chosen columnists are not only abusive to liberals and Democrats; they are obsessive about their abusiveness."

And Time mag's present reactionaries, right-wing as they are, would love to play kingmaker on Ed Case's behalf.
                        "Time's lineup of columnists betrays its readers and distorts the public discourse in a Limbaugh-like direction. It also proves a larger point: That America's most influential magazine can carry this imbalance so long without anyone paying attention--and can win the industry's most coveted award while doing so--ought to put to rest any arguments that the media elite are part of some liberal conspiracy. Indeed, media machers have grown so accustomed to conservative domination, they no longer notice it."

Conservative domination, right-wing damnation.
                        Last edited by waioli kai; June 23, 2006, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                          Have there been any independent surveys as to how the race stands? I know Case sponsored a poll that showed a pretty close race, but... that's hardly an unbiased result.
                          Local pollsters Ward Research finally took a stab at the Case/Akaka race yesterday. Already, though, the results are problematic, as the Advertiser notes the poll was "interrupted" when the "Akaka Bill" failed a procedural vote in Washington... meaning that some responses were from before the vote, and some were from after. Further, the poll involved only 600 respondents (342, I guess, "before"), a pretty small sample for a statewide race.

Anyway, the short version:
                          But asked to choose now, Democratic primary voters favor Akaka over Case 51 percent to 40 percent, with 9 percent undecided. The margin of error among the 342 registered voters was 5.3 percentage points.
                          So, let's parse this. The margin of error alone makes it possible for the race to be 'dead even.' Add in the 9 percent undecided, and it's clear the race is completely up in the air. The results of this flawed (but at least independent and professional) poll pretty much echo my own findings in talking to people I know who are lifelong, loyal Democrats. Akaka has a real fight ahead of him, and the sooner he drops the "Case has no chance" attitude, the better.

Comment

I no need look at Polls anymore. At my hale it's the same as well. My MAMA and I differ on on who we think will be elected. Everytime I put my Vote for Ed Case t-shirt on, she goes into a fit.

"You know...just because a person is old doesn't mean dey finished!" she tells me angrily every time.

"We need a fresh and young Senator in office to repesent us in Washington" I reply to her.

"He not young! He just as makule as you!" "Akaka will win...you just watch and see!"

"No mom, Ed will win this CASE ~ hands down." I firmly tell her.

She grabs her cane as I start heading outta the door.

It's the same...everytime I wear my Vote for Ed Case t-shirt!!!

Auntie Lynn
                            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I haven't read the entire thread so I don't know if its been discussed but Akaka has been against the Iraq war and against the Patriot Act. Case is more aligned with what Bush has promoted.

Comment

yes that’s one of the reasons experts are predicting Akaka will win.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                                USA TODAY, page 2A
                                11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                                X