Painting the House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting the House

Just want to say how much I DESPISE this task! Sorry, just venting. I truly believe professional painters work HARD for the money. Not as easy as it may seem. Really.

Fortunately I'm using a good quality paint, which makes all the difference. Benjamin Moore to be exact, from City Mill. Ben' Moore has great coverage, especially when you're "cutting", which is when you brush the inside corners and other areas that a roller can't effectively cover.

Trust me, on your next house painting project, don't skimp on paint quality. Wherever you shop, only insist on the best quality they sell. It's worth the extra cost, versus laborously trying to cover the old wall. Especially if you're going over a slightly darker color.

I also tried using a Wagner Power Sprayer for the first time. That thing rules! Only thing is you have to cover EVERYTHING. I mean everything. I painted an acoustic "popcorn" ceiling with it, and hadn't I covered my valuables, it would have been ruined. Using a power sprayer takes a lot of prep and clean-up of the tool after, but results are beautiful.

For interior walls, I prefer the look of rolled (not sprayed) wall though. It gives a slight texture, and the roller also pushes the paint against the wall, which I think provides better adhesion.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Painting the House

I despised it but dang the money (and benifits) was good! Especially working for a union shop.

Great advice though... don't skimp on the paint. Benjamin Moore (even the contractor's grade) provides excellent coverage. Speaking of popcorn ceilings, I'm currently in the process of removing and splattering mine before the new carpet goes in... ugh.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
      [...]Great advice though... don't skimp on the paint. [...]
      Or the prep. That's worse than painting, imo!

Comment

Forgot to mention, Pomai...it sounds like you're heading down the home stretch of your remodel. Hopefully you'll post some photos when you're pau.

Comment

I really hate to paint. We had College Pro do our house a couple years ago and they did a great job.

I miss lead base paints. They lasted a long time before you had to repaint.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
            I painted an acoustic "popcorn" ceiling with it, and hadn't I covered my valuables, it would have been ruined. Using a power sprayer takes a lot of prep and clean-up of the tool after, but results are beautiful.
            Oooh, Pomai...hope you didn't try to scrape any of that "popcorn" off. I bet it's got asbestos in it (so good thing you wen cover 'em up)

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

i am a former manager for college pro painters. i made no money and know of almost a hundred other managers nationwide that made nothing or are in debt. i worked all summer, as did my painters, many of whom made below minimum wage as a result of college pro's system.

college pro made about $10,000 off of all of us.

plz don't hire them in the future, great job or not.

don't believe me, believe them...and notice how the college pro general manager conducts himself on the second forum (which is all a forum of paint professionals)

http://www.discovervancouver.com/for...TOPIC_ID=77125
              www.contractortalk.com/showthread.php?t=9831

please spread the word and stop the labor exploitation that is college pro.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                Oooh, Pomai...hope you didn't try to scrape any of that "popcorn" off. I bet it's got asbestos in it (so good thing you wen cover 'em up)

Miulang
                Depends on when the popcorn was shot. If before 1979, probably has... after, no more. And even if it did have asbestos, a homeowner probably could remove it himself if he plastics off the area correctly (not rocket science). The idea is to keep the material moist so that nothing is airborn (dust). This doesn't mean any contractor can do it either... he has to be certified and licensed to do it which means you gonna pay big bucks... but the homeowner can.

I'm not really a fan of painting over popcorn because eventually you might decide to remove it and once it's painted it's a b!tch to remove.

Popcorn ceilings are great for the builder since he doesn't have to spend more time smoothing out the imperfections. That's why you don't see it in custom homes.

Comment

Never heard of College Pro Painters. The name itself would raise a red flag for me tho.

Originally posted by hockeyman001
                  i am a former manager for college pro painters. i made no money and know of almost a hundred other managers nationwide that made nothing or are in debt. i worked all summer, as did my painters, many of whom made below minimum wage as a result of college pro's system.

college pro made about $10,000 off of all of us.

plz don't hire them in the future, great job or not.

don't believe me, believe them...and notice how the college pro general manager conducts himself on the second forum (which is all a forum of paint professionals)

http://www.discovervancouver.com/for...TOPIC_ID=77125
                  www.contractortalk.com/showthread.php?t=9831

please spread the word and stop the labor exploitation that is college pro.

Comment

i made my living as a house painter for a few years...i got really good at, too...i agree with tutu that prep is the most humbug part...that and waiting for other contractors (electricians, plumbers, carpenters) to finish before you can finish...just put on some classic rock radio and beer on ice for pau hana, and i'd be happy to help anyone with a painting project!
                    Don't be mean,
                    try to help.

Comment

Working...
                    X