Your favorite bird?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your favorite bird?

I know, I'll be scorned by the Hawaii Purist, but I wish someone had introduced the robin, the oriole, the nightingale.

Especially the nightingale. If there is anything I really miss about living on this beautiful island, it's the song of the nightingale.

I love the little zebra doves (from Indonesia, I think). Such trusting little feathered creatures. It's a strange and delightful thing to feel their clawed feet standing on your bare foot, trying to get the piece of bread you placed next to it.

I do not like the bigger spotted-neck doves (also, I think, from Indonesia). They are not only greedy, they are also aggressive. I saw one grab a zebra dove and swing it around, toss it away from the bread. That ended those birds for me.

But I do like the Brazilian Cardinals. So elegant! That bright red head, elegant white and grey body.

I like the mynahs, too, with their "Waianae Strut". Such punks.

It's so stupid to have a law against feeding these delightful creatures who make life so much more interesting.

Re: Your favorite bird?

I'm sorry I can't share your love of doves. To me, they're the rats and mice of the avian world. Filthy annoying little vermin...

My favorite local bird is probably the kolea, or maybe the fairy tern.

On the subject of birds I'd rather not see, I'm very glad no one has ever introduced seagulls to Hawaii. Now there's an obnoxious bird. Mynahs have nothing on gulls for chutzpah.

Comment

I love all the birds. the bird i love most is the Peacock. Not for his plummage, but for that loud call he makes! That sound brings back many memories of when i used to work at the Makaha Sheraton.

-vic

Enjoy this moment. This moment is your life.

Comment

My favorite bird is the hawaiian hawk, followed by the bald eagle, and then the golden eagle. I also like egrets and storks. I see alot of them here in California. The birds I don't like are the blue jays, robbins, and crows who tend to destroy my gardens.

Comment

I can't tell you how much I miss the mynahs. Nomo dat kine ovah heah ona mainland. And the cardinals. And fairy terns.

I lived in Calif for a few years and loved the mockingbirds singing, even at 3 a.m. Hard to beat that song.

Love robins. Hummingbirds.
          Aloha,
          Mokihana

Comment

I guess for the time being the heron, after that maybe chickens.

Comment

Hard to pick just one. In Hawai'i I love the kolea, the Brazilian cardinals, and the mejiro, also the mynahs. I traveled to India last year and when I saw and heard the mynahs(not to mention the mango trees) I got plenny homesick...

Here in NYC my favorites would have to be the robins I see on my morning walks through Central Park on my way to work. My numbah one favorite bird of them all would be my baby, my Senegal parrot Lani.

Comment

The Pueo (Hawaiian Owl) wins for me. Once I was driving down out of Lualualei and a large majestic bird was sitting in the middle of the road. Took me a moment to figure out what it was till the wings spread and he looked at me before taking flight. Awesome!
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I love the macaw, any colors, have one tatted on my ankle since i will never own one.
                  Speaking of tweetie birds, is that bird santuary still there on Oahu? My mom seems to recall somewhere downtown and brings it up every couple weeks or so (like most everything else, lol).
                  Mahalo.
                  If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

Working...
                  X