Super Bowl XL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Super Bowl XL

Everyone's already said it, but I just have to add my own few words.

Pikake, you say, "If you truly know how American football is played and know the books then you should agree and admit that the Steelers had a paper win XL victory."

I do know American football. I know it very well. I had nothing invested in the game. I didn't bet. I don't like the Steelers or the Seahawks because I'm a Raiders fan, and if you know anything about football, I don't have to explain why I dislike both teams in SuperBowl XL.

But you know, the game was NOT that badly called! It's true that the Roethlisberger TD was close, but it looked good to me. For the holding call at the one-yard-line, I didn't see holding in the replay, but the lineman didn't object to the call, and it wasn't the officials' fault Hasselbeck was sacked on the next play.

As for the interference penalty, I confess that I wasn't even in the room when it happened, but even if it was a missed call, to suggest that there was some kind of fix on the outcome of the game is absurd.

I watched the game. It was a good game. There was great defense from both teams -- the kind of game I like. Seattle controlled the game, but in close, defensive games such as we (finally!) saw this past SuperBowl Sunday, it often comes down to who makes the big plays, and Seattle didn't make them as many times as did Pittsburgh. Parker's long run wasn't anyone's fault. Ward's TD reception from Randle-El was brilliant; it is the kind of play the Steelers have been pulling all season, but Seattle looked as if it had never seen it before. I mean, Ward was ridiculously open and Randle-El's pass wasn't THAT on the money. Ward was so open that all Randle-El had to do was get the throw in the general area and Ward would catch up with it. You know that's true.

If Seattle was going to win this thing, it needed to win it in the first half. The Steeler's DBs were awful, and I'm surprised Seattle didn't try to exploit that with some longer throws in the first half. My dad, with whom I watched the game, actually said as the teams headed for the tunnels, "One of the Steelers corners is going to intercept the ball in the second half. The coach is going to be all over them in the locker room."

I wasn't in the locker room, so I don't know if that part was right, but that interception was really the game-breaker, and there wasn't a flag anywhere on the play.

Listen. I feel for you. I really do. My Raiders got their butts kicked a few years ago by the coach they let go. But they got beat, just as the Seahawks got beat. The officials had nothing to do with the Seahawks' loss. I won't even say poor clock management, especially in the two-minute drill, was responsible, 'though the case could be made. The Seahawks were simply outplayed, mostly on defense, which is how both teams really got to the Big One, so I was pleased to see it play out that way.

I wish you and your team better luck next year.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
    X