• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's your major?

Well.....
    If you must know.....

My plans are to persue sign language courses(where ever possible),
    to be able to be an interpreter for the deaf.
    So, there.

P.S. When I do learn my kickboxing skills,
    someday, if I can, I hope to teach that
    in the next generation of new students.

Aloha.
    Aches & Pains
    (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

I'm bumping this up for anyone who's joined us since the last wave of responses...seven years ago.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

*feeling properly bumped*

AA in Broadcasting, plus half the studies for another AA in Electrical Engineering, both from a Midwestern community college. Got into a radio station while at said college, stayed in that (and related) field(s) ever since.

Comment

Mmm, fun! I started my time at college at the wonderful Johnston Center at the University of Redlands in southern California. Like so many Hawaii kids, I needed to get away and see the world!!! so I went aaaaaall the way to the West Coast.

Johnston has this interesting "build your own major" program, where you have to defend the breadth and depth of your choice. For people who have their act together more than I did, it's a great way to take control of your education. I regret that I needed more structure and dropped out.

After getting into a tech career and dabbling with occasional community college classes, I finally went back to a different school (Occidental College) for an English/Comp. Lit degree with a minor in Russian. So I guess I'm part of the majority around here

Right now, I'm working on my M.S. in Ed Tech.

Comment

Originally posted by Pohaku View Post
            I finally went back to a different school (Occidental College) for an English/Comp. Lit degree with a minor in Russian. .
            Pohaku, what years did you attend? My oldest daughter is an Oxy grad in International Affairs. She loved it there. While there, she was a dorm manager (I forget which dorm) and All-League catcher on the softball team. As a result of Peace Corps service in Moldova, she is fluent in Russian.
            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I grew up in a small farming community in Central California. I picked peaches and grapes during the summer as a youth to make ends meet. Although honorable work, I knew I didn't want to do that the rest of my life! I am an undergraduate of UC Berkeley. Despite what the diploma says, my true major was "looking at the world from a whole new perspective."

Gooooooo Bears! (At that time we were the only institution with a gay mascot - Oski the Bear!)
              Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

AB in social relations, which was a combination of sociology, social psychology, and cultural anthropology at Harvard (the major no longer exists); MA & PhD in linguistics at Ohio State.
                Greg

Comment

Wow! A super-old thread!

B.A. English - Southern Connecticut State U.

M.A. Cultural Anthropology - U.C. Davis
                  Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                  ~ ~
                  Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                  Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                  Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

I guess I should add that I did finally get that M.Ed. in secondary (English) education. From HPU.
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I got a B.A. in journalism from UH Manoa back in the day when journalism was journalism (i.e. newspaper writing). I chose journalism because it was a practical and versatile major, at least it was back then (I’m not sure what it’s like these days). You were supposed to be a jack-of-all-trades, able to handle any story assignment that came your way, but you were still required to have an area of specialization. Somehow, I convinced my advisor to allow me to specialize in literature (not necessarily English literature), as well as art and architectural history.

Later, I got an MFA in creative writing from a mainland university, which left me free to study whatever I wanted to.

Comment

BS in Nursing - Walla Walla University
                        MPA - Portland State University
                        JD - Whittier Law School

Comment

MS & BS of Economics U of Oregon

Comment

ASN at Ivy Tech and currently completing my BSN at Bethel College.

Graduating 5/2013!

Comment

Originally posted by alohalani View Post
                              Hawaiian Studies and Anthropology...*gulps* Sophmore at KCC for A.A. before transferring to U.H. My dream job in my fantasy world? Rearching in archives. (don't pinch me and wake me up)
                              Good skills for the Bishop Museum Ethnology Dept.! If you don't mind minimum wage. The people are wonderful!
                              ~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by spoon View Post
                                I'm at Haverford, a small liberal arts college in Pennsylvania. I'm majoring in anthropology, but I don't know if that means I get a BA in Liberal Arts or in Anthropology... Also minoring in biology and East Asian studies. I heart biology!
                                Biology pays better, and even has openings!

Anthropology... needs a graduate degree, and even then is hard to find work. CC classes go to PH.D.s. Anthro is a good major to support your knowledge and be more effective in your REAL major.
                                ~ ~

Comment

Working...
                                X