Best Super Bowl ads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Superbowl ads?

You can see them all here . My fave is the streaking sheep. from Budweiser.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Comment

Super Bowl spots

It's not specifically Hawaii TV, I know, but a lot of Hawaii TVs -- and viewers -- were tuned in, so ....

Interesting story in one of the trades, published before the big game ... about spot placement strategy and some other stuff.

Also, watching one particular Anheuser-Busch spot along with a room full of women, I saw that the interviewee's comment about A-B's creative was right on the money.

http://medialifemagazine.com/artman/...ticle_2640.asp
      I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Re: Super Bowl spots

I thought the FedEx ad was a hoot, having worked for a Neanderthal or two in my time.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
          I was only going to add my enjoyment of the FedEx caveman ad, but y'all have mentioned a few other decent ones. Still, the fact that I had to be remembered doesn't say much for this year's crop overall.
          Right. I'd forgotten about the cellphone defensive weapon and the streaking sheep. Cute enough, but not overly memorable.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Re: Super Bowl spots

Originally posted by Howard Dicus
            I thought the FedEx ad was a hoot, having worked for a Neanderthal or two in my time.
            That was my favorite too. (And in case you and Erika weren't aware of it, there's a thread about the Superbowl ads in the "Player's Place" section here in HawaiiThreads. Dive on in!)

Comment

With Mel's blessing, the two Super Bowl ad threads have been merged. I also moved the discussion to "The Tube." Carry on!

Comment

[...]KITV, of course, spliced in a couple of local ads. Always makes me wonder what we missed on the national feed.
                It also makes me wonder if those time slots are specifically for regional or local ads. Dunno, tho'...just a guess! I wonder how much it costs for a local ad to run during the game.

Comment

The article Erika linked indeed touched on one "given" in Super Bowl ads - that they're generally directed at men. Many, many, many of the ads were so directly targeted via testosterone, it made me wonder if those companies had even consideredwomen would be watching. From that energy drink ("Let your man out.") to GoDaddy, some ads almost seemed to be parodiesof Super Bowl ads - so full of cliche ("101 Ways to Escape the Nagging Wife!") and innuendo it's amazing actual heaps of cash went into making them.

So, yeah, that baby Clydesdale ad? Points there. Not for being "for women," but for once just being "for people." Also why I liked the Careerbuilder "I work for a bunch of monkeys" spots, I guess. Anyone can identify.

Oh, and cezanne reminded me about the "security features" of the Sprint phone. I did chuckle at that one.

Originally posted by tutusue
                  It also makes me wonder if those time slots are specifically for regional or local ads.
                  I would think so. If anything, I thought "local network affiliate ad time" were going to be the D position spots that ABC was filling with those cheesy "snuggling with the trophy" profiles of various players. But I do know that whoever was at the switch at KITV was a bit slow a couple of times, and I did see a fragment of a national ad before a local ad kick in (I think for the asbestos attorney?), and also saw the end of a local ad clipped to find us a few seconds into the game.
                  I wonder how much it costs for a local ad to run during the game.
                  I'm sure a pretty penny, but I'd be hard pressed to remember any of the local ads I did see. Seems many of the "usual suspects" with local TV advertising actually sat it out.

Comment

My daughter (yes, Scriv, the single one!) is a media buyer/director in SoCal. The Overstock.com ad caught my attention yesterday as I know that's one of her accounts. And, it appeared the ad wasn't produced with the Super Bowl in mind; rather, one of their 'regular' ads. So, here's my daughter's explanation when I asked her if she placed the ad...

"I did, at 2:30pm on Friday!!! It was a "floater pod" which is not guaranteed to run. It's basically a pod that they use in case there are extra time outs or injuries. I was ecstatic! It was in a great quarter and the only spot in the pod which was amazing. That never happens. We are waiting to hear back from our client to see how it did. We were originally looking at buying a spot in the 4th quarter, but since the game was pretty much over by then, we really lucked out. I've never bought a national Super Bowl spot or a spot that costs that much so it was a lot of fun!"

I need to remember to ask her if that's something a media buyer can put on his/her resume! Regardless, we're going to celebrate with dinner at the Bali this week!

Comment

The article Erika linked indeed touched on one "given" in Super Bowl ads - that they're generally directed at men. Many, many, many of the ads were so directly targeted via testosterone, it made me wonder if those companies had even consideredwomen would be watching.
                      Oh, pzarq, you are just so sensitive to wimmen's TV watching needs, it makes me jezz wanna snUGGle ya!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                        It was a "floater pod" which is not guaranteed to run. It's basically a pod that they use in case there are extra time outs or injuries.
                        Sue, I'm curious what ABC charged for that 'floater pod'. Was there a charge to be on standby and another charge if it actually runs?
                        The regular 30-second Superbowl spots cost $2.5 million each... ABC apparently made $145 million from Superbowl ads yesterday.
                        Bet the ABC account execs are gonna eat at Bali too!

Comment

[...]I'm sure a pretty penny, but I'd be hard pressed to remember any of the local ads I did see. [...]
                          Hawaiian Telcom! That caught my eye for obvious reasons!

Comment

You can view the FedEx 'caveman' ad at http://fedex.com/us/about/unitedstat...wm.html?link=4 .

Comment

In the name of testosterone, I'd say all the Anheuser-Busch Bud/Bud Light spots swept the "funny vote" for me.

Not mentioned here yet was the Bud Light "Bear beer bait" spot..
                              Hiker is about to be attacked by Grizzly, so he desperately pulls out his last Bud Light and places it on a rock as an offer to the bear. His buddy then comes running by, swipes the beer and runs off in comic celebration.. "whoo hoo!". The ill-fated hiker closes with "That was so not cool Johhny".

As for memorable campaigns from the past, the BUD-WEI-SER frogs and the "I Love You Man".. "You're not getting my Bud Light Johnny" remain indelible.

While on the subject of dissecting ad campaigns here, I don't mind over-produced commercials for something such as food and beer. But if I'm interested in buying a new automobile, I'd highly appreciate they showcase the PRODUCT, and not the production.

Example, 25 seconds of a spot shows a twisty backroad of some desert in the middle of Nevada, then in the last 5 seconds, out comes some vague profile shot of that 2007 SUV. Huh? Was that a commercial on visiting Nevada in an SUV? What was that?! Sell the vehicle gosh darn it! Show the design.. interior, exterior, engine, suspension. I want to buy the car, not the real estate!

IMO, car commercials - or any hi-tech consumer good (electronics, etc.) - should be video brochures of the PRODUCT. Not a showcase of the ad agency's talent.
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Overall, I would say the commercials were disappointing. Only a couple stood out for me, the Bud pony and the Sprint commercial where the guy threw his cell phone at his buddy. And I'm not sure any of them are deserving of much praise. Well, maybe the one about the girls needing support. My son liked the Burger King production - I thought it was stupid.
                                Blog Of Hawaii
                                High Definition Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X