Audio Store(s) on Oahu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Audio Store(s) on Oahu?

Audio Directions is the place to go with Stuart Ono. I myself have a Linn Sondek LP12 with Ittok tone arm which I bought from The Audio Shoppe on Beretania St. near the new police station. The Audio Quest cartridge alone cost me $500.00 back in 1990. Stuart was with the Chinese guy at Manoa Market Place years ago. I still have the Nakamichi CR-3A cassette deck but I bought that from Honolulu Audio & Video that used to be on King St. across from McCully Chop Suey. Can't beat the tube amps like Conrad Johnson or Quick Silvers. I run the soild state amp and pre-amp Adcom. My neighbor ran the PS Audio pre-amp and amp. I have over 1000 LPs and majority are bought from Goodwill or Salvation Army. It was the late 80s and early 90s when Stuart Ono told me that if you're gonna buy vinyl then you better buy now. I picked them up for 50 cent a piece and in execellent condition. It was a time when CDs was coming on the market and many where dumping the LPs.
    Last edited by na alii; February 9, 2006, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
      NoCalBoy, do they look like this? That's an 80-watt Pioneer.
      Link, they look just like yours, except the model is CS-63DX. That's so funny you have the same ones. These are 80 watts too and they work just fine. Thanks for the good ideas; I'll check 'em out. I just wonder what I should expect to get for them.

I should look into testing the Ebay market for some of my old vinyl too. My mom just delivered all my stuff from her house, much of which I haven't seen in 20 years! It was a kick looking through my old 45's!

Comment

Ahhh. The Audio Shoppe (on Beretania opposite the HPD station--1st place to see Krell, and their gorgeous CD player when it first came out, my first foray in high-end with my purchase of Luxman products back in early/mid 80s), Sounds (in Iwilei--which ran out of an electronics store where I purchased my Superphon Dual Mono made by Stan Warren--the 'S' in 'PS Audio' and modified Hafler products by Musical Design), Stereo Station (where HPR is located and where I first saw and heard their Acoustats in their two level store), Honolulu Audio & Video (mauka of So. King just past McCully St), 20/20 Audio and Video (former co-owner of Audio Design before the split and where Audio Lab is now located) and Audio Design (upstairs in the Manoa Marketplace) !!!

Yup, there are far and few high end audio dealers...

I haved stuck with Stewart Ono of Audio Directions (formerly co-owner of Audio Design before the split) since 1984 (I still use my Spica TC-50s purchased from him back in 1985 as my reference speaker). A one man operation in which a newbie who walks in may find/be slightly rattled if he/she doesn't get attention right away because the service 'shall we say, is one person at a time'. If you are a regular there, you'll come to understand and feel comfortable in his store.

Stewart is very low key and will not sell you anything like what a department store salesperson would try to do...feel free to browse the shop...

Comment

Originally posted by NoCal Boy
          Link, they look just like yours, except the model is CS-63DX. That's so funny you have the same ones. These are 80 watts too and they work just fine. Thanks for the good ideas; I'll check 'em out. I just wonder what I should expect to get for them.

I should look into testing the Ebay market for some of my old vinyl too. My mom just delivered all my stuff from her house, much of which I haven't seen in 20 years! It was a kick looking through my old 45's!
          I don't know how active it is, but that Record Collectors Guild site has an entire section for record trading/selling/buying.
          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Does Ono do repair work? Does anybody do repair work?

Comment

yes, he (Stewart) does---but prepare to wait...i mean wait (with patience)...one month plus is standard...

Comment

I think Stuart does repairs. I know for sure he does modifications. He must of modded my Harmon Kardon CD player about 8 times.

Comment

Thanks, folks. I'll give him a call, then. After not fooling with the system for 15 years, another month wouldn't rationally be a problem. Irrationally, though, having decided to focus on this, I want it done NOW!

Comment

For speakers: Genelec.

They are self-powered and the amps are matched to the speakers. The crossovers are active. Among discerning audio engineers who do critical work, these are among their top choice.

Keep in mind that room acoustic characteristics are just as important as speakers and other components.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992
                      For speakers: Genelec.

They are self-powered and the amps are matched to the speakers. The crossovers are active. Among discerning audio engineers who do critical work, these are among their top choice.

Keep in mind that room acoustic characteristics are just as important as speakers and other components.

Don't forget the age of the discerning listener.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Well, I called Audio Directions, and he said he couldn't help me with my Sansui 5500 amp. He sent me to Edgar Audio on Auahi St. (521-3818), but he said that the unit is just too old. He said he'd expect to find corroding capacitors inside the box, and by the time he got it fixed it would be upwards of $300-$400.

That might be okay if I wanted to try to sell it on e-Bay, but I've seen several of these there, and they don't come close to those prices.

Ah well, the Onkyo TX-8011 might work. It's got the right kind of speaker connections, it's got a phono input, and it's more than powerful enough. It's also on sale at Circuit City.
                        Last edited by Linkmeister; February 15, 2006, 03:31 PM. Reason: Spec

Comment

I bought the Onkyo, and I'm now frustrated by the awful FM antenna. It's a little wire you're supposed to insert into a 75ohm plug, and of course the wire bends like crazy. Rather than fight that battle any longer (10 minutes of pushing/twisting yesterday) I'm thinking of an FM dipole antenna. Do they come with F-connectors? Anyone know?

Those are (I think) the plugs (like the one on the back of the Onkyo) which have a teeny-tiny hole if female, or if male have a longish stiff wire (think coax cable plugs).

Comment

This is what I did on the back of my Technic's Surround sound receiver with that same kind of 75-ohm connector. But I got a right angle Type-F female-to-BNC adapter and threw on a 2-meter handheld rubber duckie antenna both purchased at Honolulu Electronics.

The whole antenna sits upright behind the receiver and is a pretty close match to the wavelength of commercial FM broadcasts. Plus it looks cool too!

As for Sansui, yeah the risks of vintage audio is in fact the aging capacitors. These things eventually dry up or leak. Either way they lose their capacitance thru loss of it's dielectric properties. JUST LIKE BATTERIES, and to replace virtually all of them (except the ceramic/disk type) can be very expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                              Those are (I think) the plugs (like the one on the back of the Onkyo) which have a teeny-tiny hole if female, or if male have a longish stiff wire (think coax cable plugs).

Females with teeny-tiny holes and males with longish stiff wires...hmmmm...I thought we were talking FM antennas here!

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                                Females with teeny-tiny holes and males with longish stiff wires...hmmmm...I thought we were talking FM antennas here!
                                Well, you find a better way of describing it!

I think I'll check CC and BB for antennas before I go to Honolulu Electronics, but thanks for the pointer. My goodness, their website is underdeveloped. If you click on "Antennas" you get a list of manufacturers with the names linked to the mfrs' respective websites. Hmm. Looks like an in-house design by somebody in a hurry, with little idea of "user-friendliness" or even sales/marketing.

Comment

Working...
                                X