Sailin' Stories!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sailin' Stories!

Here's one from very early on in my boating life. Out in (Out - in, huh?), Keehi Lagoon there's three seaplane runways, which conveniently create a large triangle. They were cut right out of the coral. For fun there's the Wednesday night races around that triangle. I used to work for Keehi Marine Center and talked the owner into putting up a twelve pack of beer as a prize. I only won that once aboard my 26' Pearson named "Blue". And that was on a night not too many boats showed up. Anyways, one night a guy that owned a Trimeran(3 hulls) asked me to crew for him. Cool, sounds good! We got a late start working our way to the starting line. And for some reason, he didn't have the sheets(lines or ropes) connected to the Jib(forward sail). I had just previously learned how to tie a bowline(a knot that has a loop in it). Well I'm up there going the rabbit comes out his hole around the tree and back in, which is one way to remember how to tie it, but it didn't work. Now my Captain is screaming at me to hurry up, which of course made it impossible for me to get the job done, so I just tied a sloppy mess of a knot. At the end of the night, we actually had to cut the line to get it off. HaHa! And boat line is like Tapa, you never want to cut it. Another funny thing is the boatyard owner bought a 17' Lightning racing sailboat that he really tricked out. It would beat much larger boats, so he started winning his own beer back!
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by poinographer
      What's your pleasure? Racing stories (local, Pacific Cup, TransPac),
      That's got my vote! Love to hear the cruising stories too, but.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
        Now my Captain is screaming at me to hurry up, which of course made it impossible for me to get the job done,
        Yet another reason a lot of us prefer singlehanding.
        It's funny (read: sad) how folks who are calm and mild-mannered on shore can turn into raging maniacs when they're racing sailboats. At least, that's true with amateur racing. The professionals never scream and yell.
        Well, almost never.

Comment

Too bad Paul Allen's boat hasn't made it out to Hawaii yet. There are a few big boats here, but nothing even close to that size. The good news is you can charter the big boats here if you go to http://www.yachtchartershawaii.com Hawaii yacht charters are something everyone should experience at least once in their life.

Comment

Cruising story - got to be on a 44' trawler up Alaska's inside passage. All the way to Skagway and Glacier Bay, then back to Juneau.

Sailing story - got to crew a boat from Punta Gorda, FL to Charleston Harbor, SC on a delivery. Nice boat, a 34' Catalina Sailboat. Unfortunatel discovered on day 2 that my friend, the captain, was a total Captain Bligh once we were underway. After spending 2 weeks with him constantly yelling and criticizing, I was SO happy to be back ashore!!
            ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
              Unfortunatel discovered on day 2 that my friend, the captain, was a total Captain Bligh once we were underway.
              Amen to that. As I wrote in post #18:
              "Yet another reason a lot of us prefer singlehanding. It's funny (read: sad) how folks who are calm and mild-mannered on shore can turn into raging maniacs when they're racing sailboats. At least, that's true with amateur racing. The professionals never scream and yell."
              Glad you survived your adventures! Got any photos to share?

Comment

My first job in Hawaii was both great and a bummer. Hired on in '75 with Windjammer Cruises (hello 'Captain Bob' Dahl!) to basically destroy the incredible 160' schooner, Invader, and turn her into a cattle boat/booze cruiser to sail inter-island. She was built in 1905 for the Borden family, and when she came out, they decided it wasn't quite what they wanted, so they had another near mirror imaged boat made..., but we took her out for a last hurrah sail in Mamala Bay before starting the heartbreaking work, and there is nothing like sailing a vessel this size. The only thing I can compare it to is being on a thouroughbred race horse instead of a clomper.
                Once she was in hr new state, she instead went into nightly service off Waikiki and never did the inter-island gig. But, I was the live-aboard maintainance/watchman for 5 years, living at pier 39 next to the Sea Flight repair dock, then pier 6 accross from the Oceana floating restaurant during which time I met Jack Lord whom was filming 5-0 nearby on The Royal Prince and came over to talk sailing with me (!), then we mover her to Kewalo Basin.
                All along, I was also part of the weekend's inter-island crew in which we would take 1 of 3 other smaller but equally famous boats, director John Ford's 120' ketch Araner (seen in Wake Of The Red Witch, Donovan's Reef, etc.), Sallee, a 90' Alden schooner and multi record setter off the Cali coast in post war years.
                We almost always went no matter what the sea conditions were. One time in the middle of a channel crossing we lost the coupling keeping our dolphin striker together, which could have spelled disaster. So stupid me, I get all the stuff I need and venture out onto the bow sprit to make the repairs while continuing to plow thru the oncoming swells in the middle of the night, minus any safety gear/lifeline. Managed to get it all done and continue on towards our first destination, either Lanai's 5 Needles or Manele Bay.
                The things we do when we're young and dumb...
                Last edited by Ron Whitfield; May 25, 2008, 07:22 AM.
                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Hey, that is some cool stories!
                  I worked for Captain Bob too. Mid-eighties, aboard the Barefoot 1 in Kaneohe Bay. Most fun job I ever had. She's a 42' sailing catamaran (though in recent years they removed the mast?). We'd sail out to the sand bar, play volleyball and cook hamburgers. Then go to a coral head for snorkeling and head home.

I also worked with JADA Cruises aboard their Alden Ketches... 72' and 58'.
                  Gorgeous vessels that we'd sail from Keehi lagoon to Waikiki and anchor for more snorkeling and food. They also owned "TEIRGRAM" a wonderfully renovated famous old schooner that I got to crew a few times.

During all of this I was living aboard my own boats, anchored out in Keehi.
                  It was a great time in my life

For some reason, my scanner won't work?
                  will try to get photos to post sometime!

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                    The things we do when we're young and dumb.
                    Or older and apparently still kinda dumb, since we keep doing the samethings.
                    Very impressive sailing resume, Ron! And lucky you were on the bowsprit instead of at the masthead.
                    Nice to see more boaters coming out of the woodwork here, and with some wonderful tales to tell. I smell an HT Boaters gathering coming up someday.
                    (And yes, I know that a "boater" is actually a type of straw hat, but it's long been in common usage in this other context too.)

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                      I smell an HT Boaters gathering coming up someday.
                      "May we come aboard, Captain?!"

By the way, Likanui. My friend was videoing our China Man's Hat (Mokoli'i) trip, he got aboard a small boat at the island with some friends and went to the sandbar. I've now seen the whole video and your boat is in it. Wish I went too!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                        [I]By the way, Likanui. My friend was videoing our China Man's Hat (Mokoli'i) trip, he got aboard a small boat at the island with some friends and went to the sandbar. I've now seen the whole video and your boat is in it. Wish I went too!
                        Darn! Well, next time just pull right up alongside wherever I'm anchored and come aboard.
                        Or who knows, maybe this summer I'll invite you serious boat folks here out for a group sandbar cruise. I could take 10 people easily, and maybe 20 if folks don't mind being cozy on the quick run out there.

Comment

We just bought a 2 person inflatable dinghy for sandbar trips!! Yesterday we rowed it to the island off Lanikai!! So fun!
                          ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                            We just bought a 2 person inflatable dinghy for sandbar trips!!
                            Any word on when West Marine will receive your electric outboard engine? As you know, when the tradewinds are frisky you can power out (upwind) and row back (downwind).
                            Hope you found my PM reply to your question about boat registration, too.

Comment

MM, that big catameran may have been the former Ale Ale Kai, once the world's largest cat, built by Choy. They probably took off all the rigging and mast because there are only so many people who know how to sail, and safety/cost concerns.

I forgot to mention the other vessel we had at Windjammer, the California, a 60ish" ketch with a squre sail on the fore/main. A real sweety.

I was eventually cast adrift by the new mgr., thankfully just as the abortion called the Rella Mae came in from the Virginia ship yards. What is she in for now? I see it with a new paint job and name at pier 5, where it's been sitting idle for years.
                              The fun was over at Windjammer and I landed my dream job of apprentice rigger aboard the Falls Of Clyde. My first day in Hawaii, we drove past pier 4 were she used to be berthed for many years and said "I want and will work on her someday". By hook and crook, I managed to do it, and got paid full time! I've been from the bottom of her inner hull to the cap on every mast. I was all for the high work, just to cure my acrophobia if nothing else, which it did for the time being. Most of the current servings and lock braids on the ratlines and stirrups etc. are my work, and no one has done anything since then. Which is why they are now taking her spars down to prevent damage and injury.
                              Good old Bob Krauss came out one day in '82 to follow up on her workings and photographed me and the main rigger, Dorian Travers, as we went aloft and installed the multi ton spars that are still on the jigger mast, all by hand, no crane or motorized anything. Just hands, sweat, come-alongs, block and tackle, the donkey at rear mid-ship, oh and prayer. That was cool. The next day our pix were in the paper!

I was aboard her when she went into dry dock. To be aboard when she was actually moving is a time I will never forget, even tho being towed by tug. Whata rush!

The Falls is such a special item, I sure hope something positive happens with her. It's crunch time.
                              Last edited by Ron Whitfield; May 25, 2008, 01:25 PM.
                              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                                Darn! Well, next time just pull right up alongside wherever I'm anchored and come aboard.
                                Or who knows, maybe this summer I'll invite you serious boat folks here out for a group sandbar cruise. I could take 10 people easily, and maybe 20 if folks don't mind being cozy on the quick run out there.
                                Can it be.....say mid August????

Comment

Working...
                                X