PBS Channel's Antiques Roadshow coming to Honolulu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PBS Channel's Antiques Roadshow coming to Honolulu

If there are any fans of the Antiques Roadshow on PBS, the show will be coming to Honolulu in August of 2006. See the following link for more details:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/roadsh...007/index.html

Just wanted to give people a heads up so you can start digging now in those storage spaces for forgotten/hidden treasures!

Re: PBS Channel's Antiques Roadshow coming to Honolulu

I got my tickets for the show a couple of days ago. Is anyone else going?

Comment

Yep! I, too, received my 2 tickets last week. I think all the tickets have been given out and no tickets will be available at the event. I never watch the show but I have a painting about which I can't seem to get any info. Hopefully the show will at least steer me in the right direction!

Comment

I watch the show whenever I can and I'm always amazed at how sometimes the ugliest things are the most valuable. I can't decide what to take - not that I have a vast collection of antiques - just deciding between three items. A Palauan storyboard, old Japanese glass floats with netting fished off beaches in Micronesia or some Japanese textiles. I figure there will be plenty of the last two and maybe not too many storyboards.

Comment

I deal with storyboards all the time but had no idea what a Palauan storyboard was. Very cool. Do you know how old yours is, glossyp? And I'm sure you know you can bring 2 items.

Comment

I'm not sure how much a paluan story board would fetch as they are still being made.

The one that I have inherited was given to my Grandparents in the 60's when they were Commisioned to the islands when they first were entrusted to the United States http://hml.org/mmhc/mdindex/rowe.html
            I've never got an estimate on it... I also have 4 photo albums of pictures of Chiefs from many of the Outlying islands of Yap.

Many of these pictures have never even been seen by the Yap People.

I was working with Senator Wakai to repatriate some of the items with the people of Yap in December of 2004... It will happen soon... however, my wife got pregnant, and other things became more important than repatriating the pictures at this time.

I don't think they hold any real monetary value other than maybe to the people of the Yap Islands.

Such Beautiful Tatooed Chiefs in some of these pictures!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
              I deal with storyboards all the time but had no idea what a Palauan storyboard was. Very cool. Do you know how old yours is, glossyp? And I'm sure you know you can bring 2 items.
              Supposedly it was payment for a Palauan gentleman's bar tab in the 1960s on Guam. It came into my family in the '70s. The most notable thing about it is that it is unusually large being nearly six feet in length and tells two legends. It has been to Japan, back to Guam and survived the total destruction of my house in Supertyphoon Pongsona - we found it wedged between the sofa and the bathroom wall which were, of course, no where near each other before the typhoon. What time are your tickets for? Mine are 8am.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                I'm not sure how much a paluan story board would fetch as they are still being made.

The one that I have inherited was given to my Grandparents in the 60's when they were Commisioned to the islands when they first were entrusted to the United States http://hml.org/mmhc/mdindex/rowe.html
                I've never got an estimate on it... I also have 4 photo albums of pictures of Chiefs from many of the Outlying islands of Yap.

Many of these pictures have never even been seen by the Yap People.

I was working with Senator Wakai to repatriate some of the items with the people of Yap in December of 2004... It will happen soon... however, my wife got pregnant, and other things became more important than repatriating the pictures at this time.

I don't think they hold any real monetary value other than maybe to the people of the Yap Islands.

Such Beautiful Tatooed Chiefs in some of these pictures!
                What a nice heritage from your grandparents. I too have no idea what my storyboard is worth. Mostly it has sentimental value, but given its scrape with disaster I was thinking to insure it and the Roadshow might give me some idea of what would be appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp
                  [...]What time are your tickets for? Mine are 8am.
                  I haven't even checked mine yet! The tickets are in the office and I'm working from home. I'll check on Tues.

Comment

Got to admit I love that show. I would love to have all my old Tonka Toys from childhood.
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com
                    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

In addition to the painting I mentioned above, at the last minute today I replaced my 2nd item with an aloha shirt I purchased from Bailey's for $75., 25 years ago. I love that shirt, haven't worn it in 14 years and would frame it before I'd think of selling it.

OOOOOOOOOH MYYYYYYYYYY GAAAAAAAAAAAAWD!
                      HOOOOOOOOOLEY MOOOOOOOOOOOLEY!

When the appraiser gave me the appraisal my mind couldn't compute the amount and could only assimilate the first 2 numbers...45...as in $45.

Appraiser had to repeat the number 3 times before I could allow myself to react. There are 3 zeros...yes, 3...after those first 2 numbers!

I need a drink.

Oh...and the shirt is now in a vault in a friend's home!

Comment

Hey tutusue, you need a new best friend??

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                          In addition to the painting I mentioned above, at the last minute today I replaced my 2nd item with an aloha shirt I purchased from Bailey's for $75., 25 years ago. I love that shirt, haven't worn it in 14 years and would frame it before I'd think of selling it.

OOOOOOOOOH MYYYYYYYYYY GAAAAAAAAAAAAWD!
                          HOOOOOOOOOLEY MOOOOOOOOOOOLEY!

When the appraiser gave me the appraisal my mind couldn't compute the amount and could only assimilate the first 2 numbers...45...as in $45.

Appraiser had to repeat the number 3 times before I could allow myself to react. There are 3 zeros...yes, 3...after those first 2 numbers!

I need a drink.

Oh...and the shirt is now in a vault in a friend's home!
                          WOW. That's amazing.

Do you have pictures of the shirt? What's the story behind it, if you don't mind me asking?
                          Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                          We're not here to mess around
                          Boston, you know we love you madly
                          Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                          Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                          You know we couldn't live without you
                          Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko
                            WOW. That's amazing.

Do you have pictures of the shirt? What's the story behind it, if you don't mind me asking?
                            It's a 'womans aloha shirt' as I understand it from when I purchased it at Bailey's. It has a mandarin collar and flares a bit at the bottom. I'd never seen that style before nor have I seen it since. I loved the shirt...blouse, really...when I first saw it but had to think long and hard before I decided to pay $75. for it! I wore it a lot. End of story! Nuthin' more significant than that! 'Til today! It's really difficult to see the cut of the blouse from this photo but you can tell it's not a typical aloha shirt. And, I had absolutely no idea how atypical it was/is!

I still need a drink!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Congrats! I wonder if we'll be seein' ya on tv!

Comment

Working...
                              X