Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PBS Channel's Antiques Roadshow coming to Honolulu

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos
    Congrats! I wonder if we'll be seein' ya on tv!
    Nope! The appraiser told me she, just an hour earlier, did an on-camera interview with someone who had a $400. aloha shirt. She said the questions would be the same so...no need. What she didn't know is that I have background in film and tv and understand that you film or tape as many interesting segments as you can then edit in the best of those while the rest end up on the proverbial editing room floor. And, they're putting together 3 shows so more than one aloha shirt segment wouldn't be unusual. It doesn't matter whether they tape one or 101 aloha shirt segments. That said, I doubt I would've agreed to go on-camera with something that valuable. The friend who attended with me feels strongly that the appraiser didn't want to 'go public' with the blouse. Possibly she has a buyer in mind and possibly her risk is in whether or not I contact her. I honestly don't know as this is a situation in which I have no experience. There's always the chance that the appraisal is bogus but my friend highly doubts that as an Antiques Roadshow appraiser's reputation is at stake.

I dunno. My head is spinning right now. I was hoping a little wine would calm that but...no luck! It'll be interesting to see how this plays out because, at that high appraisal, I really don't want to keep the blouse as I'll need to insure and store it and I'll never take the chance of wearing it again. Plus, it's too valuable to frame and hang it in Makaha, next to the ocean, salt air and humidity. That just doesn't make sense to me. What used to be my most all time, favorite aloha shirt has now become a positive liability!

Comment

Originally posted by SouthKona
      Hey tutusue, you need a new best friend??
      Nah...I just needed a drink!

Comment

Three zeroes? After the 45? Three? Holy moly. And you wore that shirt!

Amazing, Tutusue. Understood why you opted out of broadcast, though that would've been a treat. A vault? Whew! Going to be doing a lot of reading up on the care of priceless fabrics, I imagine? Are you expecting more back-channel contacts, or is this more, "Amazing to know and treasure... but we'll talk cashing in later."

I often wonder how many people get credible appraisals of great value, but decide not to go on air and in fact decide to not even consider selling. I'd imagine it's more than you'd think.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
          When the appraiser gave me the appraisal my mind couldn't compute the amount and could only assimilate the first 2 numbers...45...as in $45.
          Appraiser had to repeat the number 3 times before I could allow myself to react. There are 3 zeros...yes, 3...after those first 2 numbers!
          Originally posted by tutusue
          Nope! The appraiser told me she, just an hour earlier, did an on-camera interview with someone who had a $400. aloha shirt. She said the questions would be the same so...no need.
          Yes, Tutusue, that does sound pretty weird - them passing up featuring a "$45,000 find" for a meager $400 find.

Anyway, what other sorts of things were brought in? Did you see anything interesting? They'd advertised wanting large furnitue, did you see anything hauled in like that? It must have been a fun experience, that is, right up to the point were you had your heart attack.

Comment

45G for a piece of worn cloth?

I'd sell immediately.

Comment

PZ...I wasn't offered an on-camera interview and the appraiser explained why altho' it was a questionable excuse. And, my bad...I meant a safe, not a vault!!! No, I won't be reading up on the care of priceless fabrics 'cuz, at this point, it's in a safe and I don't want to even touch it! Several people I spoke with in line were there to get appraisals for insurance purposes, others out of curiosity (like me!) and still others, if the appraisal was high enough would be interested in selling...like me, NOW!

SouthKona...I didn't see the large pieces of furniture as they were contract delivered to the convention center. I did see many smaller pieces of furniture which people carried, dollied or dragged in on their own. I think 8000 tickets were issued and there must've been 16,000 completely different and interesting items. The line waiting for appraisals of Asian artifacts was the longest, snaking around the huge room while I was 3rd in the Textile line with my aloha shirt! It was such a fun experience and I was in awe of the organization of such a large event. They have it down to a science. A show employee (not a local volunteer) who checked me in said she was absolutely amazed by the friendliness and humor of the local people. I kiddingly told her we kicked anyone out of the state who acted otherwise!

Dick...Yep! I agree with you 100%! The 45G is not what I'd receive; rather it's what a collector might pay. But, yah, worn cloth! I'd need to broker the deal which, of course, would include a fee. H3!!...the purchase price of my first home was about half that amount and the purchase price of my current Makaha condo was 2/3 that amount!

Whoda thunk?

Oh...and the primary reason for attending...the painting? When it was time for my appraisal the computer system was down! D@mn computers! The appraiser found the artist in a book but couldn't offer a viable appraisal, just an educated guess of $500 to $1000. Not bad for an item I bought in a garage sale for $1.25!!! She was nice enough to give me the name of a gallery to contact.

What an experience!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                [...]Are you expecting more back-channel contacts, or is this more, "Amazing to know and treasure... but we'll talk cashing in later."[...]
                There would be no way for anyone to contact me as there's no sign-in or name tags. My friend thinks this is the main reason the appraiser chose not to interview me on camera. She may not have wanted the shirt to 'go public' and could be gambling on me contacting her as the appraisers are not allowed to solicit business during the show. They are, however, allowed to put their business cards on a table near the exit. I knew which card to look for and took 2...just in case!

My friend thinks there's a possibility that the appraisers are not paid for their services by the show and that they may even have to pay their own expenses to the various cities because it's a PBS show with no commercials. Their 'pay' could come from hooking up with the owners of the found treasures, post show, and brokering sales. I dunno, tho', as I've not watched the show.

I wonder if I'll sleep tonight?

Comment

I read that the appraisers do indeed pay their own way to the various cities. It's not clear why.
                  http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                    Three zeroes? After the 45? Three? Holy moly. And you wore that shirt![...]
                    Didn't just wear it...but dined in it and danced in it! There were many nights at the old Kahala Hilton when I danced 'til I dropped...while wearing that shirt...possibly even a time or 2 with your dad, PZ! The last time I wore it was to my high school reunion in 1992...dining and dancing! I thought it would be a hoot to do the Surfer Stomp in my aloha shirt...a dance popular when I was in high school. So, I did!

I got way more than $75. worth of use and enjoyment out of it. But $45,000. worth? That would take at least 2 lifetimes of dancing non-stop!
                    Last edited by tutusue; August 27, 2006, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                      I read that the appraisers do indeed pay their own way to the various cities. It's not clear why.
                      After experiencing the show in action I think I understand why.

Comment

First off - WOW! and congrats to tutusue on what must surely be one of the most exciting events of your life. To think that something you used and loved has turned out to be a mini-goldmine is just fantastic.

My own experience was probably more typical. They didn't know where to send me with my Palauan storyboard so I got shuffled around and ended up in the catch-all category of collectibles rather than folk art or tribal art. The appraiser (local antiques shop owner) didn't really have any idea. I knew much more about it than he did. I was somewhat surprised that they didn't have anyone there familiar with items from Pan Oceania. I ran into a lady who had some amazing textiles from Indonesia and the Philippines and she had the same experience of the appraiser not really knowing much. Still, it was great fun to see all of the people with their very cool stuff and chat while waiting in line.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp
                          [...]I ran into a lady who had some amazing textiles from Indonesia and the Philippines and she had the same experience of the appraiser not really knowing much.[...]
                          I had 12:30 tickets and by the time I got to the textiles line it was around 1:45 or so. Two ladies were appraising; only one was appraising clothes. The lady appraising other textiles seemed to be confident and knowledgeable...at least in the way she presented her explanations. I was fascinated by what she had to say. But, really, what do I know as I have no experience whatsoever!!! Anyway, I wonder if that was the appraiser the lady you ran into got to see. I kinda figured someone from Bailey's would be appraising and, who knows, maybe s/he did earlier in the day.

Funny thing...someone from Bailey's was giving free appraisals at the Hawaii Collector's show a couple of weeks ago...something like 2-3p on that Sunday. I was working on Saturday and decided to stay in my office that night so that I could take my shirt for a free appraisal! I got up Sunday morning and the beach was screaming my name so I bagged the appraisal idea and went home! Looking back on that, if I'd received a $500-$1000 appraisal I might have considered selling it to them if they were open to that, rather than framing it. Dunno for sure but there is one thing I know for sure. My guardian angel (my dad) was looking down on me and orchestrating this whole thing!

I absolutely love aloha shirts and have a limited collection of older shirts. Guess I should check those out so I don't dine or dance in another piece of aloha shirt history!

Comment

Hey, Sue --- you remember that PM conversation we had recently, where you said to let you know if there was anything you could send me in exchange for something? *Ahem; I think I have an idea...*

Seriously, congratulations on your recent appraisal; that's a very exciting surprise, and I think the HT community is tickled that you could share your good news with us! You've probably done the best thing for now --- lock it up safely, and take time to consult with experts on your options; you shouldn't make any major decisions during this time of initial excitement.

I'm only disappointed that I won't get to see you on TV!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                              Hey, Sue --- you remember that PM conversation we had recently, where you said to let you know if there was anything you could send me in exchange for something? *Ahem; I think I have an idea...* [...]
                              Ummm...how 'bout 'Keiki Hula' instead?

Seriously, congratulations on your recent appraisal; that's a very exciting surprise, and I think the HT community is tickled that you could share your good news with us! You've probably done the best thing for now --- lock it up safely, and take time to consult with experts on your options; you shouldn't make any major decisions during this time of initial excitement.
                              Thanks.
                              Yep! I need a game plan! But first I need to move out of 'shock' before I can move into 'excitement'!

I'm only disappointed that I won't get to see you on TV!
                              I'm not!!! Being on camera is not within my comfort zone!

Comment

Congrats Tutu...

Just curious though... if you have had the shirt stored the way you have had it stored for so long... do you think that the change in climate by being put into a safe my do some damage too it? (was it just hanging in your closet this whole time?)

I too would probably get rid of it ASAP Think how many more aloha shirts you could buy

I wish I would have been one of the people with a ticket

And also thanks for sharing your first hand experience for all of us who could not go! Great details and I've learned some good information for the next time they make a visit....

P.S. How did you secure a ticket this time?

Comment

Working...
                                X