Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pro Bowl attendance Vs. Poor UH Attendance

Default Re: Pro Bowl attendance Vs. Poor UH Attendance

Quote Originally Posted by lurkah
    Speaking of the old Honolulu Stadium (The Termite Palace), some of you old-timers out there might recognize one or more of these faces of the guys who used to run up and down the bleachers selling peanuts, popcorn, candy, soda pop, la dat...

The guy on the far right really brought it all back to me. High School Thanksgiving "Turkey Games" were also a blast to go to.
    The second guy they used to call him "Big Red" and the guy on the right is Howard Egami.

There's a lot of supporters and die hard fans on the outer islands that can't make it to games too!

Quote Originally Posted by na alii
    The second guy they used to call him "Big Red" and the guy on the right is Howard Egami.
    Yep! Awwww...the memories!

...Eh, HOT TOPIC Dis thread? I'm outta hea!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

When I was living in Denver back in 1978, when it came to football season, the entire town of Denver was Orange and Blue. I mean banners hanging from streetlight to streetlight was Orange and Blue. Bumper stickers everywhere promoting their Denver Broncos, I mean the level of support was so great there were sales at stores, discounts at clubs, everybody got into the spirit.

You know Hawaii was once kinda like that with the cement trucks displaying the Rainbow Warrior logos on the side of their rotating cement drums.

I understand the reason to change the logo was due to marketing piracy, however I feel even if the logo's were pirated, it's still advertising for the UH! Who the hell cares if these pirates are stealing away market share of UH logo'd attire. UH isn't in the business of marketing anyway! Anytime a pirated UH logo was displayed, it only benefits them by virtue of name recognition and product placement.

Go Bows was the UH's Football team's most winning team chant! And now it's something I can't even relate to anymore right down to our ugly black on black uniforms the football team has to wear. We have colors it's Green and White. When you saw those colors on the field you know it was our Rainbow Warriors working the turf along with that rainbow swipe on the sides of the helmets. That was the coolest logo we ever had and I was proud to slap those stickers on my car.

There's very little team pride in our sports fans anymore, lots had to do with it from the move from the Honolulu Stadium to the renaming of our UH football team. It just seems to get worse.

It's funny, but I still find, on occasion, recently published maps and atlases that show Honolulu Stadium still existing at the corner of S. King and Isenberg.

I bought a 2004 edition of the American Map Atlas of the USA. It's an edition with all 50 states, insets of the major cities of the states, and even further detailed insets of the cities, such as the downtown areas with traffic flow of one-way streets noted.

The inset of Honolulu, in 2004, STILL had Honolulu Stadium listed as a going entity as a sporting venue of Honolulu.

I notified American Map of the status of Honolulu Stadium and that it had been demolished years ago in the late 70's. I got a letter back from them saying that they would investigate the matter, and if an error concerning Honolulu Stadium was found, all further editions to be printed by American would reflect the correction to be made.

The 2005 edition did show nothing where they had previously listed Honolulu Stadium in the Honolulu inset...just an intersection at S.King and Isenberg. There isn't even a reference to the park that is now there.

I haven't seen a recent edition of the DeLorme State Map of Hawaii, (an extremely detailed atlas used by hikers and surveyers) but it too, as recently as the 2000 edition, showed Honolulu Stadium as still existing.

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Quote Originally Posted by mauiwahine05
    Hey Craig, I'm not trying to step on your toes here, I totally agree with you when u say that they should be more courteous and not take a whole table to themselves especially if there are people waiting, but sometimes, these old timers don't have anywhere else to go. I have an aunty that loves to go to Cafe 100 in Hilo because she can catch up with all her old/new friends since many of them have already passed on.

Here's a suggestion, a lot of times old timers jump at the opportunity to be social, next time if there's only 3 of you and 1 of them on a four seater, ask him if you and your kids can join him/her. A lot of times (i'm not saying always) they would be willing to share. And you never know but something good could come out of it. I engaged in a conversation with an 86 year old man on the metro train and couldn't stop smiling after our convesation =) try it out one day, u may be surprised, ur kids may also get something out of it too =) aloha
    I tried something like that once where one McDonalds used chairs instead of benches at their tables. I found one table but it had only three chairs because at another table a group of seniors had five seated there. Next to my table was this lone elderly man engrossed in his newspaper. I asked him if I could borrow one chair for my kid. He abruptly told me he's expecting company and brushed me off. I ended up standing and we left before anyone joined him. I was so pissed I wanted to tip his coffee on his paper for being so inconsiderate.

You know families normally don't go to McDonalds during the week because we work or go to school. But on the weekends it's their turn to kokua and allow the rest of us to enjoy a family place too.

I think there are several reasons why the UH has poor attendance:

1. The stadium is not located on campus. I think it's outrageous that the UH does not have its own campus stadium. If you want the students to support the program, build the stadium on campus.

2. Many foreign students make up the population of the UH. Foreign students would rather work than attend football games.

3. UH needs better competition.

4. UH needs to market itself better to both students and general public.

As for the Pro-Bowl:
    It's a once-a-year event. It features star athletes. For NFL fans it's exciting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12