Pro Bowl attendance Vs. Poor UH Attendance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pro Bowl attendance Vs. Poor UH Attendance

One year when I attended a UH football game at Aloha/Halawa stadium I sat in one of the endzone sections opposite of the Jumbotron. I couldn't believe my eyes! There behind that goal post in the bleachers where I sat were hundreds of senior citizens and what were they doing? Not paying attention to the games is what! I saw old Japanese women pulling out foil wrapped bentos and chilled Aloha Maid Guava juice and passing it out to their friends.

And were they talking about the game or the sport in general? No! I heard one elderly man talking about Shige going in to Kuakini for heart bypass. The whole time during the game these senior citizens were passing illegal food contraband and talking LOUDLY (because they forgot their hearing aids I guess) about their daily trek to McDonalds and who they met. I couldn't hear the officiating over all the plastic and foil crackling of the bentos and the chatter.

You hear all the murmuring at the stadium and you wonder what all the talk is about? It ain't about the first down that was just completed...but what internist your neighbor is using because mine is pilau!
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Craig, at least they weren't passing around cuttlefish! 2001 BYU game had me sitting amongst a group of 5 or so passing around a couple bags of dried cuttlefish. That was really something! ( They weren't all bad though...they were courteous and offered me some! )

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy
        Craig, at least they weren't passing around cuttlefish! 2001 BYU game had me sitting amongst a group of 5 or so passing around a couple bags of dried cuttlefish. That was really something! ( They weren't all bad though...they were courteous and offered me some! )
        I agree their intentions aren't evil however they're just as guilty as the guy who's smuggling outside food. But the point is that they're not there to watch or support their home team!

I don't want to rant on our senior citizens but come on show some courtesy wherever you go too. They demand respect like giving up a bus seat for them but I gotta tell you, one year when I didn't have to go into work on a Saturday morning, I decided to take my kids to McDonalds for breakfast (and give my wife a break). When we got there, there wasn't a bench to sit at where my kids could eat together. There were several benches (that could seat up to four people) with one guy at each one with their Honolulu Advertiser spread out over the entire table and all they were drinking was their discounted coffee and free refills.

I complained to the manager that I couldn't find a seat to eat at and I pointed to the other families outside and in line looking worried that they couldn't eat inside or at all there. I told him we are customers paying full price and have no intention on staying at that table more than we have to. But there is a problem here with one person taking an entire bench and not contributing to the establishment's daily revenue. I told the manager that I won't be coming back anytime soon if this kind of situation is prevailant and that a lot of us who pay full price and leave to give another full paying customer a place to eat their meal won't do the same.

About a month later that McDonalds installed uncomfortable seats that made you sit forward and not for lounging. Makes for short stays.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
          But the point is that they're not there to watch or support their home team!
          Agreed. It is a football game, after all. A nodda ting about the UH games: I enjoy Vili the Warrior and his clan urging us to cheer the team on, but I wish the team didn't have to rely on getting the crowd excited with the "E o! E o na toe e!" chant blasted over the loudspeakers as often as it is. And the "Stand Up" chant right before kick-offs after the Warriors score. Heck..after a UH score, this ought to be second nature. There are times when we (the UH crowd as a whole) seem to sit on our hands a bit too much.

Comment

Another thing about poor attendance. I went to the last game of the UH football season in 2005. It was the SDSU game. I took the TheBus' Football Express from Kailua..it's the one that orginates in the Keolu Hills section of Kailua, moves through Kailua Town, and then on to Kaneohe before hitting H-3. I caught the first bus. It was the 3:30 bus leaving from Kailua Road and Hahani. I was the only person to ride this bus the entire length of the ride..from Kailua all the way to Aloha Stadium. Not another single rider got on anywhere during the route. I felt terrible that I was the only one on this bus..I felt personally responsible for having TheBus have to pay a driver plus the fuel on a city bus, for one single rider!! I told him TheBus would have been better off hiring me a taxi!

Fortunately, the return to Kailua after the game was about 75% full. But that ride did kind of make me think that the fan support, at least in 2005, was somewhat mediocre for the Warriors. I believe the crowd for the SDSU game was around 23,000.

Comment

From TheBus's point of view one loner rider is better than no riders at all. Another thing that I just thought of, isn't some of the high school football games played on a Saturday night as well or all of them are played on Friday night?

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                From TheBus's point of view one loner rider is better than no riders at all.
                How so?
                I think he was right in saying it would've been better for TheBus to just call a taxi for him.
                Or a limo.

Another thing that I just thought of, isn't some of the high school football games played on a Saturday night as well or all of them are played on Friday night?
                Friday nights, except for rare cases when a game has to be rescheduled due to weather or other factors, and perhaps some of the championship games may also be on Saturdays.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I really don't know how many stops that route takes but if the TheBus says they are going to make run from point A to point B during time C then they are going to do it regradless on the amount of passengers who are riding at that time.

I would agree on that run in question it lost money due to lack of ridership but it had already sunk the cost of the run in terms of the wage for the bus driver and the fuel for the bus and it wouldn't have been practical for that driver to call a taxi and ask the bus driver to pay the fare out his pocket.

I am guessing from the bus driver's point of view, he got paid for the work and had a quiet run.

Comment

Sorry, I edited this message and wanted to delete this one but couldn't.
                    Last edited by mauiwahine05; February 14, 2006, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                      I agree their intentions aren't evil however they're just as guilty as the guy who's smuggling outside food. But the point is that they're not there to watch or support their home team!

I don't want to rant on our senior citizens but come on show some courtesy wherever you go too. They demand respect like giving up a bus seat for them but I gotta tell you, one year when I didn't have to go into work on a Saturday morning, I decided to take my kids to McDonalds for breakfast (and give my wife a break). When we got there, there wasn't a bench to sit at where my kids could eat together. There were several benches (that could seat up to four people) with one guy at each one with their Honolulu Advertiser spread out over the entire table and all they were drinking was their discounted coffee and free refills.

I complained to the manager that I couldn't find a seat to eat at and I pointed to the other families outside and in line looking worried that they couldn't eat inside or at all there. I told him we are customers paying full price and have no intention on staying at that table more than we have to. But there is a problem here with one person taking an entire bench and not contributing to the establishment's daily revenue. I told the manager that I won't be coming back anytime soon if this kind of situation is prevailant and that a lot of us who pay full price and leave to give another full paying customer a place to eat their meal won't do the same.

About a month later that McDonalds installed uncomfortable seats that made you sit forward and not for lounging. Makes for short stays.
                      Hey Craig, I'm not trying to step on your toes here, I totally agree with you when u say that they should be more courteous and not take a whole table to themselves especially if there are people waiting, but sometimes, these old timers don't have anywhere else to go. I have an aunty that loves to go to Cafe 100 in Hilo because she can catch up with all her old/new friends since many of them have already passed on.

Here's a suggestion, a lot of times old timers jump at the opportunity to be social, next time if there's only 3 of you and 1 of them on a four seater, ask him if you and your kids can join him/her. A lot of times (i'm not saying always) they would be willing to share. And you never know but something good could come out of it. I engaged in a conversation with an 86 year old man on the metro train and couldn't stop smiling after our convesation =) try it out one day, u may be surprised, ur kids may also get something out of it too =) aloha

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                        Speaking of the old Honolulu Stadium (The Termite Palace), some of you old-timers out there might recognize one or more of these faces of the guys who used to run up and down the bleachers selling peanuts, popcorn, candy, soda pop, la dat...

The guy on the far right really brought it all back to me. High School Thanksgiving "Turkey Games" were also a blast to go to.
                        The second guy they used to call him "Big Red" and the guy on the right is Howard Egami.

Comment

There's a lot of supporters and die hard fans on the outer islands that can't make it to games too!

Comment

Originally posted by na alii
                            The second guy they used to call him "Big Red" and the guy on the right is Howard Egami.
                            Yep! Awwww...the memories!

...Eh, HOT TOPIC Dis thread? I'm outta hea!

Auntie Lynn
                            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

When I was living in Denver back in 1978, when it came to football season, the entire town of Denver was Orange and Blue. I mean banners hanging from streetlight to streetlight was Orange and Blue. Bumper stickers everywhere promoting their Denver Broncos, I mean the level of support was so great there were sales at stores, discounts at clubs, everybody got into the spirit.

You know Hawaii was once kinda like that with the cement trucks displaying the Rainbow Warrior logos on the side of their rotating cement drums.

I understand the reason to change the logo was due to marketing piracy, however I feel even if the logo's were pirated, it's still advertising for the UH! Who the hell cares if these pirates are stealing away market share of UH logo'd attire. UH isn't in the business of marketing anyway! Anytime a pirated UH logo was displayed, it only benefits them by virtue of name recognition and product placement.

Go Bows was the UH's Football team's most winning team chant! And now it's something I can't even relate to anymore right down to our ugly black on black uniforms the football team has to wear. We have colors it's Green and White. When you saw those colors on the field you know it was our Rainbow Warriors working the turf along with that rainbow swipe on the sides of the helmets. That was the coolest logo we ever had and I was proud to slap those stickers on my car.

There's very little team pride in our sports fans anymore, lots had to do with it from the move from the Honolulu Stadium to the renaming of our UH football team. It just seems to get worse.

Comment

It's funny, but I still find, on occasion, recently published maps and atlases that show Honolulu Stadium still existing at the corner of S. King and Isenberg.

I bought a 2004 edition of the American Map Atlas of the USA. It's an edition with all 50 states, insets of the major cities of the states, and even further detailed insets of the cities, such as the downtown areas with traffic flow of one-way streets noted.

The inset of Honolulu, in 2004, STILL had Honolulu Stadium listed as a going entity as a sporting venue of Honolulu.

I notified American Map of the status of Honolulu Stadium and that it had been demolished years ago in the late 70's. I got a letter back from them saying that they would investigate the matter, and if an error concerning Honolulu Stadium was found, all further editions to be printed by American would reflect the correction to be made.

The 2005 edition did show nothing where they had previously listed Honolulu Stadium in the Honolulu inset...just an intersection at S.King and Isenberg. There isn't even a reference to the park that is now there.

I haven't seen a recent edition of the DeLorme State Map of Hawaii, (an extremely detailed atlas used by hikers and surveyers) but it too, as recently as the 2000 edition, showed Honolulu Stadium as still existing.

Comment

Working...
                                X