X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four side dishes

From this thread:

Originally posted by 1stwahine
    Kalbi/BBQ Chicken Combo with four choices of side dishes (mac salad, cod fish, kim chee, & long rice) rice, from Skyson Korean Resturant next to Linh's on N. King Street.
    My experience with Korean Resturants is kind of limited but I am starting to notice that for the take out places they always give you 4 side dishes. Not that I am complaining mind you but why 4 side dishes?

While we are add it what are favorite side dishes? For me at least the mac salad and kim chee for sure, depending on the place I might try something different or have a second serving of kim chee.
    Last edited by helen; February 13, 2006, 01:28 PM.

Re: Four side dishes

have you ever eaten at a sit down korean restaurant? they give you ALOT of side dishes...and aslo i notice on the korean soap operas, they do a lot if side dishes too...

my favorites are the bean sprout and the cabbage.
    my hubby likes the fried potatoes.

Comment

Side dishes are very customary especially in the Orient. My personal feelings would be to make sure the person eating will be content with his/her meal. My favorite choice of food to eat is Korean. I love their spicy delicasies. The way they prepare their dishes ~ especially their soups. Ono!

On side dishes. My favorites are the cod fish, raw squid, sweet potatoes, boiled watercress with sesame seeds and of course, kimchee. I also love their raw crabs!

Have you ever tried eating lettuce with their miso on rice, put a peice of BBQ meat then roll it up and eat it? Simply delicious!!

Auntie Lynn

Now, I like go eat Hang Yang or One Million Dollar Yakiniku!
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

At take-out places I always get two or three of the various kim chees plus the sprouts. The better half likes the seaweed and tofu - too healthy for me!

Comment

The side dishes are cheap to make and offering 4 gives the illusion of getting plenty food?

Chap chae, watercress namul and double bean sprouts namul.

1stwahine, that lettuce thang, my parents call it sam chu sam (sp?). Dad's favorite is cornbeef and onions with Manoa lettuce and kochoo jang. Simple and cheap. My daughter loves SCS when I stir fry some of that shabu shabu beef they sell at Daiei with my homemade kalbi marinade. Same with Manoa lettuce. She's just getting to like it with a small dab of kochoo jang.

My grandmother used to make a miso/pork concoction that's eaten with rice in SCS. It's also mixed with kochoo jang as a main ingredient and would keep for months in the frigerator. I liked that better as it was more sweet. I have never found anything comparable and Grandma is long gone with most of her secrets.

We go to Soda Bol for Korean food. Lots of side dishes and the raw crab is to die for. My wife's fave is the raw beef, yook ye (sp?).

Sorry 'bout the spelling. I just say it as it sounds.

Comment

Das it! I'm getting ready to go eat Han Yang!!!

My mouth is watering for sum Koo jung sauce, Beef Intestine Stew, Raw Crab and side dishes. Must not forget da lettuce with meat and whateva's that Da Rolling Eye wen say!

TTYL

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I my mouth stay all wata now.....
              I get one Korean Aunty who wen turn me on to kochoo jung. This was hanabuda day`s...
              I still rememba wrapping rice and opa`i, with MANOA lettuce with some kochoo jung.... Broke da mouth!!!!!

I come back I gotta go store......
              bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

For tonight's dinner we're eating "fresh" corned beef and cabbage with carrots and potatoes and hapa rice.

Comment

The korean food place at Ward Warehouse has an amazing potato salad. I like to call it my "Crack Potato Salad" because it's so addictive. Get roasted potatoes, herbs, and lots of mayo!

Kim chee is a must, cabbage and cucumber kind. Shoyu potatoes also rock.

Does anyone know where to buy the prepared Kochee jong sauce or have a good recipe for it? I have the bottled kind but it's not as good...

Comment

Grandma used cooked rice, honey and chili pepper powder. A secret that went with her. I only remember her mixing it in a large, stainless tub and covering it with cheese cloth for a few days to ferment. It would start to bubble on the 3rd day. Good stuff!

If you look for commercial kochu jang, it should be on the sweet side and very thick. You can use it as is or mix it with a few things to make a dipping sauce for sashimi and such. There are some out there that are just plain salty. To me, those are not authentic, just bad tasting.

I mix my sauce with the following all to taste.
                    Rice vinegar
                    Sugar
                    Roasted sesame seeds
                    Sesame oil
                    Grated ginger
                    Green onion or chives

I don't like a strong vinegar taste but enough to give it a "bite", and like my sauce on the sweet side with a hint of the sesame oil.

Can't help you on what commercial sauce is good. To find a good one is hit or miss. Expect to not use some you buy. I use homemade bought from Mom's church bazaar. Not as good as Grandma's, but close enough. I be pretty picky about my kochu jang.

Comment

I don't know why I didn't htink of rice vinegar before. I think that's what was missing. Thanks!

Has anyone tried the kim chee deli inside 99 Ranch Market?

Comment

I usually go 2 scoops mac and a helping each of either taegu, the pickled seaweed or watercress. My wife likes the potatoes and cabbage and the rolled egg foo yong kinda thing.

Comment

Working...
                        X