Young adults: DRAFT!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young adults: DRAFT!!!

As stated here, we might be drafted again next year.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Young adults: DRAFT!!!

That page has been making the rounds again... it bears noting that the bill in question was not only introduced by primarily Democrats (including our own Rep. Abercrombie), but it has been left to gather dust for over a year... it's a way many bills meet their end.

A bill can be introduced to paint the Statue of Liberty neon pink. It doesn't make the action an imminent threat.

That said, if things keep going the way they're going (there are other countries left on the Axis of Evil list, after all), who knows, we might have the draft return. I dare say, though... even if our current military isn't exactly all volunteer, you're going to get a pretty different level of performance out of a mandatory service system.

Comment

Heard just a tail end of someone denying that this is starting up...again. The Democrats would really win by a landslide if this came true...people would move to Canada...again!
      Retired Senior Member

Comment

A cousin informed me his son will be going to Iraq in Feburary. He just got out of active duty and serving time in the reserves. He's got 4 more months but they asked him to serve his country for 2 more years. He leaves for Iraq after training in Texas. It's one step closer to the draft. It's like the war in Vietnam. My oldest brother was sent over there and my second oldest brother who was getting out of the military in 6 months was then shipped there, and then there was the draft and the next brother went. Thank god it was over before I turned 18. Oldest brother was killed, next brother was injured and later died at a hospital in Japan, and the next brother has many psycological issues in his life.
        I don't understand how war on foriegn soil will protect America when within the borders of our country terrorism exist. I mean people are living in fear here in America from americans. Drive by shootings, gang related violence, domestic violence, sexual abuse, older people being abused by their own family members,etc...
        I am very patriotic when it comes to being american but I don't see how we as americans can say we are fighting for the freedom of forigners when Americans are still fighting against discrimination, terrorism, and oppression in our own country.
        Well I guess the military and politicians know whats best when it comes to freedom and democracy.

Comment

Well I guess the military and politicians know whats best when it comes to freedom and democracy.
          Um, no. They know no more than you do; they just have more power to affect policy.

It's a little early to start a Get Out the Vote thread, but I will if I have to!
          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
            Um, no. They know no more than you do; they just have more power to affect policy.

It's a little early to start a Get Out the Vote thread, but I will if I have to!

You're right Link.

Let me know when you start the thread. best to do it just before the voting day. Should also consider a thread to see how many are a registered voter and if not why. Just a thought.

Comment

Now someone just sent me an e-mail saying that the draft bill would take affect in June 2005 and that ALL men & women ages: 18-26 would be required to sign up.
              Also noted is the fact that Canada would no longer allow anyone to "dodge" the draft by moving to Canada. Some folks are concerned because it would interupt their education.
              Retired Senior Member

Comment

Originally posted by Mocha
                Now someone just sent me an e-mail saying that the draft bill would take affect in June 2005 and that ALL men & women ages: 18-26 would be required to sign up.
                If you get any "news" via e-mail, check it out before passing it on. The message you cite sounds like the one that's been going around for a while now.

The urban legend experts at Snopes.com tpok a closer look. They don't say a draft won't happen, but despite the tone of the chain letter, it's relatively unlikely. As I mentioned in the Abercrombie v. Tanonaka thread, the draft bill cited was actually introduced by Democrats as an anti-war statement, and has not surprisingly gone nowhere since.
                Last edited by pzarquon; October 4, 2004, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the headsup answer Pzarquon! I tend to "leap" before I look...I admit it. My kids are too old to be affected but this e-mail came from several "reliable" sources that I personally know! You and a few others who are regulars on the threads are really akamai when it comes to "what is" and "what isn't"!
                  Retired Senior Member

Comment

I dunno. There may be some grains of truth to it. If Bush wins and stays the course, we would need to at least double the number of peeps on the ground in Iraq (what Sinseki and Franks estimated) to effect a lasting peace if we have to go it alone. The press has reported that the Pentagon in its infinite wisdom (something about trying to increase enlistment, etc. etc) has been considering reducing the time spent in the field from 1 year to possibly 9 months. I know I was taught "modern" math in high school, but how does our need for more troops in Iraq and the Pentagon's proposal to reduce active duty on the front square up? This, plus the fact that some National Guard reservists are claiming that they are basically being coerced into reupping because if they don't (and mind you, they've already served time in Iraq), they are being threatened with redeployment to that hellhole overseas?

Like I said to Karen, Iraq is not my war. This war is for the 18-28 year old men and women to realize and mobilize against.

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

An update in this most bizzare chapter of modern politics.

The draft bill, introduced by Democrats over a year ago as a protest against the military policies of the administration, sat around for a long time. Long enough, it seems, for people to forget its origins and seize upon it in one of the most widely propagated pieces of e-mail alarmism we've seen this year.

So now everyone's worried about the draft - despite Bush's oft-repeated vow that there won't be one - and campuses are buzzing and voter rolls are suddenly growing.

So now it's the Republicans pulling the draft bill out and dusting it off, working to put it on the agenda... with the specific intent to kill it.

Of course, no one expected the bill to go anywhere, let alone pass, and if the bill comes to a vote now, it'll be resoundingly smashed. (Even the authors of the bill oppose the expressed sentiment, after all.) But since its prospects were so slim, many are saying this latest action might backfire. One, it puts a generally underground rumbling back on the front page, and two, disinterested citizens will only see "Draft bill revived in House by Republicans," without understanding the history of the legislation.

Meanwhile, Rangel is certainly enjoying the opportunity to remind everyone where the bill came from:
                      Rangel said he pushed the measure to show that the burden of fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan was falling on lower-income people who make up most of the volunteer U.S. military. He and other Democrats who opposed the invasion of Iraq 18 months ago also said they doubted Bush would have taken the country to war if members of wealthy families had been called on to fight it. "He would never have been able to say bring 'em on with other people's children," Rangel said.
                      I suppose killing the bill officially at least quashes the people who could point to it's "pending" status as evidence that something could be afoot. And I suppose there's some emotional satisfaction in "calling the bluff" of the Democrats. But I think the Republicans are basically stuck in a lose-lose situation here.
                      Last edited by pzarquon; October 5, 2004, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                        An update in this most bizzare chapter of modern politics.

The draft bill, introduced by Democrats over a year ago as a protest against the military policies of the administration, sat around for a long time. Long enough, it seems, for people to forget its origins and seize upon it in one of the most widely propagated pieces of e-mail alarmism we've seen this year.

So now everyone's worried about the draft - despite Bush's oft-repeated vow that there won't be one - and campuses are buzzing and voter rolls are suddenly growing.

So now it's the Republicans pulling the draft bill out and dusting it off, working to put it on the agenda... with the specific intent to kill it.

Of course, no one expected the bill to go anywhere, let alone pass, and if the bill comes to a vote now, it'll be resoundingly smashed. (Even the authors of the bill oppose the expressed sentiment, after all.) But since its prospects were so slim, many are saying this latest action might backfire. One, it puts a generally underground rumbling back on the front page, and two, disinterested citizens will only see "Draft bill revived in House by Republicans," without understanding the history of the legislation.

Meanwhile, Rangel is certainly enjoying the opportunity to remind everyone where the bill came from:
                        I suppose killing the bill officially at least quashes the people who could point to it's "pending" status as evidence that something could be afoot. And I suppose there's some emotional satisfaction in "calling the bluff" of the Democrats. But I think the Republicans are basically stuck in a lose-lose situation here.
                        Heh. How does that square with the request it appears Paul Bremer sent to the Administration about sending additional troops to Iraq immediately after the "victory" because of the increasing violence and chaos? This revelation just came out earlier today.

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                          If it gets the young people in this country to stop listening to their MP3s and playing their video games and start getting them concerned about their futures, I'm all for the talk of the draft. I don't want the draft reinstated, but the young people of today have to start getting involved with their government, knowing how it works and why it's important to vote. These people, like Adrian, are our future, after all! I don't want an apathetic generation taking care of me in my old age!

Miulang

Comment

http://www.thehawaiichannel.com/news...61/detail.html

Congress Votes Down Draft Bill

POSTED: 6:03 pm HST October 5, 2004
                            WASHINGTON -- In Washington Tuesday the House defeated a bill, co-sponsored by Hawaii Congressman Neil Abercrombie, to revive the military draft.

Abercrombie himself voted against the bill, which was defeated overwhelmingly.

Abercrombie said he had added his name to the bill not to push for a draft, but to promote what he called "an open, honest public discussion of the personnel crisis facing our military today."

His opponent, Republican Dalton Tanonaka, accused Abercrombie of scaring young people unnecessarily.

The vote was 402-2.
                            Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

Hmm. 402-2? Who were the two?

Per the Washington Post: "Voting for the measure were Reps. John P. Murtha (D-Pa.), who long has argued the United States needs more troops in Iraq, and Fortney "Pete" Stark (D-Calif.), a 32-year House veteran."

I like the headline on the Washington Post piece: "GOP Brings Up Draft to Knock It Down." Today's move is described as "one of the strangest parliamentary maneuvers in memory," as "Republicans first had to obtain a parliamentary ruling letting them bring up a bill that not a soul would claim to support."

I find it rather entertaining that a bill with no one at the helm can nonetheless be brought up and slammed down.

Comment

Working...
                              X