Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Racial Profiling?

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
    people who fit your grandparents profile would be known around the local PR communities. Are you comfortable sharing their names to strangers you meet on the internet? If they were still living, how old would they be?

Many of us still live in communities with "six degrees of integration".
    I am not aware of some of the titles given to different groups in Hawaii. I also do not know what is meant by "six degrees of integration". I suspect that it has to do with mixtures of people. Please remember that I am a uerto Rican, and as such am aware of the mixings of peoples. I do not want to be considered foreign to Hawaiian mores, they are the same as the mores of my ancestral home. By the way it seems that I have been promoted. Again I do not know what my neww designation means.

Comment

Re: Racial Profiling?

Originally posted by Jomundo_d
      By the way it seems that I have been promoted. Again I do not know what my neww designation means.
      The designation is based on the number of post you made. Once you have made your 20th post you went from Keiki to Haumana and you will be that way until you make your 50th post at which time you become Kanaka. Below is the rank based on the number of posts.

Originally posted by admin
      Keiki: 0 posts
      Haumana: 20 posts
      Kanaka: 50 posts
      Luna: 100 posts
      Kia`aina: 200 posts
      Kumu: 400 posts
      Ali`i: 800 posts
      Now as to what those ranks mean, zztype posted it here (sort of long to quote it in this post).

Comment

Re: Racial Profiling?

Originally posted by helen
        The designation is based on the number of post you made. Once you have made your 20th post you went from Keiki to Haumana and you will be that way until you make your 50th post at which time you become Kanaka. Below is the rank based on the number of posts.

Now as to what those ranks mean, zztype posted it here (sort of long to quote it in this post).
        Thanks for the info Helen, but what I really want to know is, what does haumana mean? I also would like to know what "six degrees of integration" means. I always thought integration was a part of Hawaiian culture just as it is in Puerto Rico.

Comment

Re: Puerto Rican Immigration To Hawaii

Originally posted by Pomai44
          Howzit Jomundo, have you had any more luck with finding any information on your search? Send me a PM. I have been into genealogy for about 15 years. Wouldn't mind helping you out.
          I have just received pages from the book "Borinquen a Hawaii" which list the names of Puerto Ricans who arrived in Hawaii. Unfortunately My grandparents' names were not included. I can only guess from this that they got off the train from Louisiana to San Francisco. Does anyone know of any existing record that shows where the train stopped along the way?

Comment

Bummers! I found the following little bit of information about the probable railroad company that took your grandparents from New Orleans to Denver (Missouri Pacific Railway):

"In 1872 the line was reorganized as the Missouri Pacific Railway, and in 1879 it came under the control of New York financier Jay Gould, who developed a system extending through Colorado, Nebraska, Arkansas, Texas, and Louisiana. In 1917 the line was merged with the St. Louis, Iron Mountain and Southern Railway Company and reorganized as the Missouri Pacific Railroad. Later it acquired other lines in the Gulf area and in Texas, extending its operating area to several Midwestern and Southwestern states. ..."

And I'm sure from Colorado they took Union Pacific to get to the West Coast. But there's just sooooo much territory between New Orleans and the West Coast it might take you awhile to figure out all the cities along the railway route.

Good luck!

Miulang

P.S. One logical place to look is in the Omaha, NE area because that's where many of the train lines intersected. There are at least 292 Rodriguez in the Omaha area in the area and 4 Juarbes in the area. Use this link to track those down.
            Last edited by Miulang; April 10, 2006, 11:49 AM.
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

[QUOTE=Miulang]Bummers! I found the following little bit of information about the probable railroad company that took your grandparents from New Orleans to Denver (Missouri Pacific Railway):

"In 1872 the line was reorganized as the Missouri Pacific Railway, and in 1879 it came under the control of New York financier Jay Gould, who developed a system extending through Colorado, Nebraska, Arkansas, Texas, and Louisiana. In 1917 the line was merged with the St. Louis, Iron Mountain and Southern Railway Company and reorganized as the Missouri Pacific Railroad. Later it acquired other lines in the Gulf area and in Texas, extending its operating area to several Midwestern and Southwestern states. ..."

Thank you Miulang. I appreciate the information, it should keep me busy for a while. I will report as I go along.

Comment

Here are some of the old Missouri Pacific depots in Kansas:
                Liberal, Kansas: Rock Island Depot
                Neodesha, Kansas: Frisco Caboose Museum
                Marysville, Kansas: City Park Historic Displays
                Caldwell, Kansas: Caldwell Railroads
                Stafford, Kansas: Santa Fe Depot
                Waterville, Kansas: Waterville Depot
                Baldwin City, Kansas: The Midland Historic Railroad
                McPherson, Kansas: Model Railroad Layouts
                Lawrence, Kansas: Depot and Visitors Center
                Baldwin City, Kansas: The Historic Santa Fe Depot

There are a bunch of Juarbes and Rodriguez in the Denver area, too. According to the White Pages, there's a Tomasa Rodriguez in Kansas City, KS. I don't know how common the name "Tomasa" is, though. Juarbe is unique enough a last name (as opposed to Rodriguez) that there can't be many around.
                Oh! I also found a "Vilmarie Rodriguez-Jurabe" who graduated in 2000 from the Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine.

Miulang
                Last edited by Miulang; April 10, 2006, 03:45 PM.
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Just to keep everyone advised as to what I have been doing. I have written several letters to people and organizations that I thought might help. I received copies of the list of Puerto Ricans who arrived in Hawaii, according to the book by Blase Camacho Souza. I have also written to several states in the hope that they may have information about Puerto Ricans getting off the train in their neck of the woods. I wrote to some persons with the last name Rodriguez in the hopes that they may know something. So far answers are slow in coming. Hopefully I will hear something soon.

Comment

Hello everyone. Just a short note to tell everyone of a new wrinkle in my search. I received information through another thread that a family bearing the names Rodriguez and Juarbe settled in a plantation on the Island ot Kauai. I do not know how to verify this information. Is there anyone out there that can help?

Comment

This is not directly related to your grandaprents, but this family may have travelled to Kauai at the same time your grandparents did and ended up at Koloa Plantation on Kauai.

I would also suggest you get in touch with the local Mormon church in your area. The Church of the Latter Day Saints have the most detailed genealogical archives of many of the world's families.

Miulang

P.S. You could also try to contact the organizers of the Koloa Plantation Days to see if they have lists of the former workers or the Kauai Historical Society.
                      Last edited by Miulang; December 14, 2006, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                        This is not directly related to your grandaprents, but this family may have travelled to Kauai at the same time your grandparents did and ended up at Koloa Plantation on Kauai.

I would also suggest you get in touch with the local Mormon church in your area. The Church of the Latter Day Saints have the most detailed genealogical archives of many of the world's families.

Miulang

P.S. You could also try to contact the organizers of the Koloa Plantation Days to see if they have lists of the former workers or the Kauai Historical Society.
                        Miulang: I clicked on to "This Family" and came up with a news article abour a Morris Family reunion which mentioned a Rodriguez family. I sent an Email to the Newspaper in the hope that they will contact that family for me. I am in your debt. It was a light at the end of a very dark tunnel....Jomundo_d

Comment

Originally posted by Jomundo_d View Post
                          Miulang: I clicked on to "This Family" and came up with a news article abour a Morris Family reunion which mentioned a Rodriguez family. I sent an Email to the Newspaper in the hope that they will contact that family for me. I am in your debt. It was a light at the end of a very dark tunnel....Jomundo_d
                          I hope this does finally lead you to your grandparents. The Internet is an amazing thing.

Miulang

Comment

Hey just wanted to say that Im of Puerto Rican heritage.. nice to see another one here

Comment

Originally posted by *pinao* View Post
                              Hey just wanted to say that Im of Puerto Rican heritage.. nice to see another one here
                              I don't know what you mean by "nice to see another one here". I gather that you are in Canada. If you mean by "being here" as being in Hawaii. I am not in Hawaii. In any case I am glad to run into another Puerto Rican, even if I am neither in Canada or Hawaii.

Comment

This isn't specifically Boricua ... but these folks, or people they know, may be of some help.

http://www.centrohispanohawaii.com/
                                I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Working...
                                X