Oahu and Rain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oahu and Rain

Dang...it's POURING in Waikiki right now and just had to turn on the lights in my hale. Gotta see to get ready to go to the airport. No thunder or lightning, tho'.

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
      And I discovered that in heavy rain, my car leaks like a sieve. .
      Usually, if you put the top up, it helps.
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        Dang...it's POURING in Waikiki right now and just had to turn on the lights in my hale. Gotta see to get ready to go to the airport. No thunder or lightning, tho'.
        I'll be thinking of you - drive carefully! hopefully everyone around you
        will be too!

Still just BLASTING away here, unbelievable - well quite similar to the
        40 days of a couple years ago. The pool is at it's edge and there no longer
        are any mountains to see from either side of the yard. In fact, you can't
        even see out the door it's just a moving mass of gray water. I can't get the
        dogs to go out and eventually they'll be standing with their legs crossed!

Comment

The ocean is Waialua mud red-brown almost all the way to the horizon, and full of debris...watched two guys swim out through the junk to retrieve a surfboard that was mixed in.

The license plate on my 4x4 is swinging sideways after my adventure through the river on Waialua Beach Road. ( I think I hit a coconut.) DH tried to drive out to work a little while ago, and the police have blocked the road off completely. So he is back, too. Radio just said that a homeowner here had 8 inches of rain in his rain gauge overnight.

We have power and no flooding in the house yet. Watching Tom and Jerry and making miso soup.

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
            I'll be thinking of you - drive carefully! hopefully everyone around you
            will be too!

Still just BLASTING away here, unbelievable - well quite similar to the
            40 days of a couple years ago.
            While I was venturing out early this am, I thought about the 40 days of rain. Was it this heavy the whole time?

Comment

Eh...I'll put dis hea.

The tarp didn't keep the rain out.

All boxes are damaged from weather. Slippahs are still in great shape. Dea made of rubba. ha ha ha

Auntie Lynn
              Last edited by 1stwahine; December 11, 2008, 09:22 AM.
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

It was quite heavy at times during the great 44 days of March 2006 but I think it was more of a constant rain that did us in that time.

It is quite dangerous out there. Drive patiently and please watch out for the pedestrians that have to brave the sidewalks and try not to splash them.

I did have a warm and fuzzy feeling reading this article from the online Advertiser this morning.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...ING01/81211046

Again be safe if you do have to venture out.

Comment

I've been up since a little after 4am, when thunder and lightning woke me up. Windward side got/is getting the worst of it, up to 4" an hour. (And yes, the infamous 42-day rain was much lighter, but fairly steady.) Many road closures on Kam Highway out here, damage to bridges, lots of flooding. I just looked at the radar images and it looks like the worst rain is over. Still raining lightly at the moment. Ocean is very brown from runoff (dangerous to swim -- leptospirosis, and sharks love the brown water too!) and tons of debris on the beaches.
                  At times the rain stops and I can actually see the Ko`olau, and the waterfalls are spectacular! I'll try to get some photos to post here if I can.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

It's just just the rain but the wind! The gusts look pretty strong from my office window.

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
                      While I was venturing out early this am, I thought about the 40 days of rain. Was it this heavy the whole time?
                      Many many of the days were just like this, probably depends where you
                      were. We took some amazing videos of the rain and our yard flooding
                      up to the edge of the walkway. I don't ever want to live through a 40
                      days like that again and neither do Manele & Koele!

We've had high winds here too and all of our outdoor stuff is
                      moved around. Our Christmas lighted figures were secure but one managed
                      to break in half (where it's held by clips to make it's shape) and we had
                      to tie it down.

Comment

Here's the brown water update:

Updated at 10:12 a.m., Thursday, December 11, 2008

Brown water advisory issued for all of Hawaii

"Citing the heavy rains and flood conditions, the State Department of Health's Clean Water Branch has issued a brown water advisory for the entire state this morning.
                        "The DOH is advising the public to stay out of flood waters (brown water) that may contain pollutants from overflowing cesspools, sewer manholes, animal wastes, dead animals, pesticides, chemicals, and associated flood debris.
                        "The public should also stay out of coastal waters impacted by storm water runoff near stream mouths and drainage ditches, the DOH said.
                        "If the coastal water is brown, stay out."

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I knew I should've built that boat(ark). HaHa!
                          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I'm in Enchanted Lake too, no power last 8 hours. The usual. The only hinky part has having to go up on top of the roof in the storm at 3 a.m. to reassemble the ventilator turbine. The wind was so strong it had taken off like a Frisbee! Good night time view up there of the water rising on the streets too fast to run off into the lake.
                            Burl Burlingame
                            "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                            honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Here in Kaneohe just a couple of those power bursts (or lack of). I could not
                              get Manele out to pee Koele just bites the bullet and braves the rain.
                              Finally we've had a break in rain and while drizzling there I was walking
                              Manele out to the yard carrying a golf umbrella with her under it, the
                              only way I could get her out! Mission accomplished!

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                                Here's the brown water update:

Updated at 10:12 a.m., Thursday, December 11, 2008

Brown water advisory issued for all of Hawaii

Citing the heavy rains and flood conditions, the State Department of Health's Clean Water Branch has issued a brown water advisory for the entire state this morning.

kicks dry grass.

What rain? It's only windy over here. Perfect weather to dry clothes. On the other hand, when it rains in these parts, it never makes the news.

East Hawaiʻi ftw!

pax

Comment

Working...
                                X