Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oahu and Rain

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    I just looked at the radar and it looks like the worst is already over.
    Glad to hear. Best of luck with all that water!
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Anyone buying a used car in the next few weeks or months need to be extra careful about avoiding storm damaged salvaged vehicles.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
        Anyone buying a used car in the next few weeks or months need to be extra careful about avoiding storm damaged salvaged vehicles.
        Good point, Mel. I like that Carfax commercial with the flooded car.

Selling used car: water damage new upholstery
        "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
        "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
        "
        Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
          Carfax
          The problem is, Carfax may not know about it. From what I understand, it's pulled from police reports, not the body shops that fix it.

Comment

What was the name of the artist in the 80's music video who looked like Eddie Murphy who had the line "I saw you walking in the rain?"
            I liked the Madness video of The Sun and the Rain.

Comment

Tons of flooding reported!

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/as...1243211213.GIF

http://cmsimg.honoluluadvertiser.com...&Q=90&NoBorder

Thank goodness we live at high altitudes!
              Last edited by admin; December 13, 2008, 01:51 PM. Reason: Don't embed images you don't own from other sites.
              http://twitter.com/surfoahu

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                What was the name of the artist in the 80's music video who looked like Eddie Murphy who had the line "I saw you walking in the rain?"
                I believe you are referring to Oran Juice Jones.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Re: Tons of flooding reported!

The public nature of this post is due to the frequent “suggestions” by other HT members that islandguy seems to continue to ignore. To recap: #1 — this image is clearly a very complex story-specific graphic that is likely appearing in full resolution for the first time outside the pages of the Honolulu Advertiser. #2 — due to the single line of commentary (if you could call it that), I am concerned that this is flirting with the edges of “fair use.” Downsizing or simple linkage as an alternative come to mind (in lieu of author/source credit). #3 — there are already several topics in much more relevant forums that at the very least, this post should be moved to. I suggest “Oahu and rain.”

I see admin has already begun taking corrective action. Happy Holidays.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                  USA TODAY, page 2A
                  11 March 1993

Comment

And here we go again. Is it pouring where you are too? I'm ready for a dry day now, thank you very much.

Comment

It bloody poured in Makaha today. Yesterday the owners at our condo building received an email to get our okoles out to Makaha and check our units because there was so much damage to the property. So, my visiting family and I drove out this morning. It drizzled along the way but nothing more...

...until an hour after we arrived! I took them for a drive up to Yokohama Bay when the sky exploded with rain! We crept back home and hunkered down, watching a very angry ocean. While I didn't see any damage in my place from Thursday's rain it appears it had already dried by the time we arrived this morning. When we got back to my condo this afternoon there was water all over the living room floor! Fortunately I got to see exactly where the problem was. We had plans in town this evening but cancelled them as we weren't sure we'd be able to get back to town. Once again the condo property became flooded and residents were racing around grabbing sand bags. There was a big pile of wet carpeting outside my building; the result of ground floor residents having 6" of water in their units. Now they were struggling to try to prevent another clean up. The higher floor units were damaged by the wind driven rain blowing out jalousy windows.

The rain slowed to a drizzle so we headed back to town. Another deluge hit in Nanakuli and all cars were creeping along Farrington Hwy. due to some flooding and inability to see the lane stripes. Scary, I tell ya! The rest of the drive alternated between deluge and downpour! The day was fun. The drive wasn't!

Comment

Glad to hear you escaped relatively unscathed, TutuSue. Sounds like most of the HT'ers did.
                        It rained almost all day here, with frequent thunder and lightning and sometimes the rain was just outrageous downpour. The power went out four or five times, from a few minutes to a few hours. And that was after the big outage last night. I spent most of the day today trying to clear debris out of the drains, and by the time I'd get to the last drain I'd have to start the cycle all over again. Also dug some ditches to divert and aim the runoff. And the pool kept trying to overflow and flood several places, but the pool pump had burned out during the big storm Thursday night and so did the submersible pump, so I spent some time in and out of the pool with a bucket.
                        And the next big storm is supposed to arrive Wednesday.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                          [...]And the pool kept trying to overflow and flood several places, but the pool pump had burned out during the big storm Thursday night and so did the submersible pump, so I spent some time in and out of the pool with a bucket.
                          And the next big storm is supposed to arrive Wednesday.
                          I noticed that the pool closest to my unit was empty. My guess is the flooded grounds also flooded the pool with mud and it was intentionally drained. I was hoping to survey the rest of the property but it was raining too hard and rapidly flooding.

Another big one on Wednesday? Ugh. I plan to go back out to Makaha on Wed. morning. Maybe I'll change that to Tues. night! The AOAO's insurance adjuster was on site when I arrived. Guess he'll be coming back at the end of the week!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                            When we got back to my condo this afternoon there was water all over the living room floor! Fortunately I got to see exactly where the problem was.
                            Since it's a second floor, was it rain being blown in?

I was in Kaneohe for most of the day. The morning and early afternoon was cloudy, but dry. Should have mowed the place then. In the after noon it got some good rain and some wind blasts. I left around 4:30 to go to town and run into a major downpour. Not much fun.

Looking at the weather radar, I think we're due to get nailed in another half hour.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                              I noticed that the pool closest to my unit was empty. My guess is the flooded grounds also flooded the pool with mud and it was intentionally drained.
                              Uh-oh. That could be a real problem. If it turns to have been from mud, then the pool should have been sandbagged when it was first noticed that mud was flowing into it. By totally draining the pool, there's a good chance that the pool plaster will dry out and crack (unless the pool was replastered very recently), and replastering the pool is rather expensive. Hope it turns out okay.
                              Right now the sun is out (hooray! ) and the rain has moved off to Maui and the Big Island (boo! ).

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I am mad!

I just watched this video from KITV.com, in which a group takes a beautiful sailboat out from Ala Wai - IN THE STORM!! What idiots!! Why would the do something so stupid!! Hellooooooo, small craft advisory plus pounding rain means "Stay at the dock". Even worse, they were trying to do a 'buoy run' for the purpose of proving the boat's seaworthiness! This beautiful boat is no longer seaworthy, as it is aground and dismasted, because the owners were so totally stupid. And because of their idiotic stunt, coast guard and lifeguards were put into some very dangerous situations.

Also, nine kayakers rescued off Lanikai yesterday. What idiot goes kayaking in brown runoff during a storm?! What's the matter with these people!! I hope that each of them is forced to personally pay for all expenses involved in rescuing their dumb a$$es.
                                ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Working...
                                X