Oahu and Rain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oahu and Rain

Why is it such BIG news in the media whenever it rains on O'ahu? The local news on TV have started thier news with a thunderstorm. Is it because O'ahu has no drainage now and a storm floods them out ? The other islands(including Kauai) hardly get coverage when we have storms. It makes O'ahu people seem like BIG babies because of a little rain. I can remember as a child in Hilo having 3 or 4 days of HEAVY rain and it's no BIG deal.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: Oahu and Rain

Maybe Oahu Needs More Sand From Maui!!!!!
    Small Kine Joke!!!!!

Oggboy
    bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

I don't know if any of you get the Weather Channel in Hawai'i, (throughever which means) but even they have gotten into the act of reporting the recent rains than have fallen on O'ahu.

Comment

Usually the light rains that come and go for Oahu don't get mentioned other than the weather reports. But rain storms that makes the US Weather Service to issue flash flood warnings tend to get more press after the event, even more so if the storm caused damage.

Something else I noticed. I grew up on Kauai during the 1960's to mid-70's and went to the Hilo for college during the late 70's. And been living here on Oahu since 1979. During my time on Kauai we would get thunderstorms on the average once a year. I don't remember any thunderstorms during my time in Hilo. The 1980's I think Oahu would get a thunderstorm once a year but latey in the last few years thunderstorms are more frequent maybe 6 or more times a year.

Comment

When I visit the AF's family in Kane`ohe, one phrase I've gotten used to hearing in all the weather forecasts is "Windward chance of mauka showers." Every day.

But the latest storms - whoo! Did the Earth's air currents shift direction when I wasn't looking, and now we send a reverse Pineapple Express from Seattle to Hawai`i?

Comment

Rain has been hitting Oahu alot more then before.
            I grew up in Kipapa Gulch and remember the wet weather out there.
            I was telling my friend long time Maui neva get rain like Oahu...
            Believe me we`d be worse off then Oahu. Mahalo Akua!!!!

OGGBOY
            bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

O'ahu's storms get so much media attention because that's where most of the people in the state live, so more viewers are affected. And also because the landscape is so densely populated that a heavy storm will cause more traffic jams, more utility disruptions, and more property damage. And yes, poor drainage is an issue too. Good drainage requires enough money and enough space, both of which are in short supply.

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy
                Rain has been hitting Oahu alot more then before.
                I grew up in Kipapa Gulch and remember the wet weather out there.
                I was telling my friend long time Maui neva get rain like Oahu...
                Believe me we`d be worse off then Oahu. Mahalo Akua!!!!
                Hui OggBoy: I know what you mean! Everytime the rest of the island chain gets hammered by bad weather, Maui always seems to avoid getting the brunt of it. Mahalo ke akua for sure. Now the people of Maui have to take some lessons from the people of Oahu and try not to turn all the open space (which has natural drainage) into a concrete jungle or else Nature going solve the problem on her own! Actually, I think the earth is just headed into a time when there's more bad weather all over the planet...more hurricanes and other natural disasters. It's happened before and probably will happen again after this. In the meantime, everybody better know how to swim!

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                  O'ahu's storms get so much media attention because that's where most of the people in the state live, so more viewers are affected. And also because the landscape is so densely populated that a heavy storm will cause more traffic jams, more utility disruptions, and more property damage. And yes, poor drainage is an issue too. Good drainage requires enough money and enough space, both of which are in short supply.
                  i agree with the above reason, but also, don't forget the bottom line: rain on oahu gets covered because there are four news stations here with camera crews eager to roll on the footage which is literally falling right outside their doorstep. in other words it's easy pickings and on a slow day the weather can fill half your newscast.

having said that, weather effects on the neighbor islands may be worse than oahu but that doesn't mean stations will spend money to fly a crew there (reporter and cameraperson) and come back just for a story or two. is it worth it? only if homes are flooded, people evacuated, and general chaos rules. sometimes a news director will pay some freelance video photographer to run around and get about an hour's worth of footage for them and send it via air cargo (which stations have to pay for also) that same day. that's not cheap either.

so the moral of this story is, tv coverage of oahu weather easy and cheap, tv coverage of neighbor island weather more expensive and time consuming.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                    I guess the drainage is a BIG issue, because 25-30 years ago you would never hear "storm" news on TV, unless it came down a neighborhood.

Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by sin
                      so the moral of this story is, tv coverage of oahu weather easy and cheap, tv coverage of neighbor island weather more expensive and time consuming.
                      True dat.

So which island gets its own local TV stations next, Maui or Hawai'i? Hawai'i has more people so it's a bigger market, but Maui is smaller in area so coverage would be cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
                        I guess the drainage is a BIG issue, because 25-30 years ago you would never hear "storm" news on TV, unless it came down a neighborhood.

With so much of Oahu's lands being paved over there's no place for the rain to percolate into the water tables beneath the streets and parking lots. Most of the rain simply washes down the cement canals and into the oceans...no wonder Oahu is short on water.

Oahu's pretty much getting to be one big asphalt and cement slab with no place for the water to drain.

Now here on the Big Island we've got the exact opposite. Our grounds are so porous that a major flood dissapates in minutes.

I threw down three truckloads of topsoil onto my one acre cinder lot and within two major rainstorms, virtually all of the soil disappeared along with the grass seeds and the fertilizer, but boy my neighbor's adjacent lot is looking mighty green!
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                          With so much of Oahu's lands being paved over there's no place for the rain to percolate into the water tables beneath the streets and parking lots. Most of the rain simply washes down the cement canals and into the oceans...no wonder Oahu is short on water.

Oahu's pretty much getting to be one big asphalt and cement slab with no place for the water to drain.

Now here on the Big Island we've got the exact opposite. Our grounds are so porous that a major flood dissapates in minutes.

I threw down three truckloads of topsoil onto my one acre cinder lot and within two major rainstorms, virtually all of the soil disappeared along with the grass seeds and the fertilizer, but boy my neighbor's adjacent lot is looking mighty green!
                          You might have to get sod with pre planted grass Don't give up on you dream lawn

Flickr

Comment

Eh, you guys made it on the national cable news! I saw some pretty impressive clips of the flooding on the Windward side on CNN this morning. They were interviewing Trini K (the guy really mangled her last name and now I can't remember what it is) from KHON this morning (around 5:30 a.m. your time). And it looks like you guys going continue to have the bad weather at least through Sunday. Odd that only Oahu and Kauai getting all that rain...

I just hope the Pineapple Express doesn't send your rain up to us here! We get more than enough water already! The weatherpeople were also forecasting lotsa rain for California side, too. Wish there was some way for all that rain to just skip over the West Coast and land in the Midwest, where they really really need the moisture.

Miulang
                            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                              I saw some pretty impressive clips of the flooding on the Windward side on CNN this morning. They were interviewing Trini K (the guy really mangled her last name and now I can't remember what it is) from KHON
                              Trini Kaopuiki. And I noticed that CNN called her a "meteorologist" though I'm not aware that she actually is one. Maybe she got her degree in the last year, but.
                              She's the last person on the air here that I'd look to for weather info.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X