Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oahu and Rain

Originally posted by Miulang
    Eh, you guys made it on the national cable news! I saw some pretty impressive clips of the flooding on the Windward side on CNN this morning. [...]
    I just received an email from my daughter in SoCal asking if what she was seeing on the news was really true! Huh? She doesn't believe the news?

Comment

Eh, you guys made it on the national cable news! I saw some pretty impressive clips of the flooding on the Windward side on CNN this morning.
      Some of the scenes that KHON captured were something else. Whole chunks of land surrendering to a swollen river, furniture floating in homes, the works. (Seems like most of the other stations stopped at the roadblocks.) Incredible, and terrible.

It's not often you hear about neighborhoods like Ka`a`awa on the news, and of course when you do, it's rarely for anything good. Journalist and Ka`a`awa booster Ian Lind has been blogging and posting some photos of his own.

It is interesting how the weather system is unusually confined to the Windward side. At the same moment the rain was coming down in buckets and taking away someone's backyard, there were patches of sun on the other side of the mountain.

Comment

The way that the storm just sat there reminded me of the New Years Flood of 1988, the one that scoured a deep gully down the middle of a street in one of the East Honolulu valleys. What was it, Kuliʻouʻou? Or maybe Hahaʻione? It's getting hard to remember that far back.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
          The way that the storm just sat there reminded me of the New Years Flood of 1988, the one that scoured a deep gully down the middle of a street in one of the East Honolulu valleys. What was it, Kuli?ou?ou? Or maybe Haha?ione? It's getting hard to remember that far back.
          I believe it was both. I lived in Hawaii Kai, not far from Hahaione valley, at the time and was celebrating NYE at the Kahala Hilton. My kids were home from college and had gone their separate ways with friends. None of us could get past Aina Haina to get home nor were we allowed over the Pali. My oldest daughter decided she would walk from Aina Haina to HK to "save the dog". The cops turned her back a couple of blocks into her middle of the night walk. This was pre-cell phone days so none of us knew where or how the others were. Later on new years day HK residents were allowed to go home via the windward side. Holey moley, whatta war zone from HK to Kuliouou. The oceanfront homes in front of Times Supermarket were trashed by flash flooding and mud as were many of the canal front homes at the base of Hahaione valley and surrounding areas. My home sat above one of the canals, as in 10-12 steps from the top of the canal wall. The mud and water rose to almost even with my yard. Another few inches and my home would've been flooded. That was a very scary night. The dog was oblivious to all of it!

Comment

I remember that New Year's night. I was at home in Waialae Nui Valley when my cousin Allison and her date come knocking on our door soaking wet. They tell us the roads were washed out on their way home to Hawaii Kai and asked if they could stay for a short while.

Man I remember the next few days seeing bulldozers moving mud as high as 6-feet high covering Kalanianaole Highway. My friend's home on Hahaione street was amazingly spared yet their driveway was totally demolished along with the street itself. It was as if an underground explosion ripped the entire length of that street. Simply amazing.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Rain, rain go away (and don't come up here because we don't need it either!)

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Rain, rain go away (and don't come up here because we don't need it either!)

Miulang
                MAHALO AKU`A!!!
                Can imagine Maui with that much rain??? Eh, Miulang.... : OGGBOY
                bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy
                  MAHALO AKU`A!!!
                  Can imagine Maui with that much rain??? Eh, Miulang.... : OGGBOY
                  Mahalo ke akua foa shuah! Everytime get heavy rain, Paukukalo,
                  Waihee and Hana side always gets slammed. I really do think Maui is blessed by better weather than the other islands. No moa room to breathe because get too many peeps now, but get better weather!

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Mahalo ke akua foa shuah! Everytime get heavy rain, Paukukalo,
                    Waihee and Hana side always gets slammed. I really do think Maui is blessed by better weather than the other islands. No moa room to breathe because get too many peeps now, but get better weather!

Miulang
                    Big time tita, we are fortunate all this wet weather pass us by. I still remember the time back in the late 70`s, we had one tropical storm and that was enough for see the tourist walking in ankle deep rain to the Airport on Dairy Rd.
                    Unreal wuz, like I said one storm like that come our way, we in deep water. OGGBOY
                    bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Another day of flooding....

**bump**

After an hour-long attempt to get out, and only getting north of Wahiawa, I turned 'round and came home. Prayed, kicked in the 4 wheel drive, and drove/floated back down Waialua Beach Road. Thankfully, all family members are home, dry and safe.

Hope our power stays on. I hear that lots of people have power outages.

Y'all stay safe.

Comment

Glad to hear you are o.k.! We have lots of rain here in the Haiku/Ioleka'a
                        valley area as well. Our road looks like a running river it's downhill.
                        Kahekili on/off ramps are closed as well. We had a couple cable glitches
                        recently and last night the power kept going on and off and lots and lots
                        of lightening illuminating the sky. Winter is here!

Comment

I'm in the heart of KALIHI.

I don't like thunder and lightning.

I've been very afraid of dem sice I was a little girl. Bad memories. I not ashamed to share. I not scared today cause I have my lil hero with me.

ANTONIO!!

"Oh the weather outside is frightful, But the kaukau is so delightful, And since we 've no place to go, Let It Rain! Let It Rain! Let It Rain!"

Love and ALOHA,

Auntie Lynn
                          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

It was pouring buckets here in Enchanted Lake, but it has slowed down just now. I didn't see any lightning, and I dont think I would have heard thunder over the sound of this pounding rain. Still have power - yay!

I'm scared to drive to school, but I have about 15 minutes to see what the weather is gonna do. This may have been the biggest storm I've ever experienced on Oahu, and I have no idea what to expect out there. Flooded streets? Traffic signals out? Tree limbs down?
                            ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                              I have no idea what to expect out there. Flooded streets? Traffic signals out? Tree limbs down?
                              All of they above, and TRAFFIC. Town has been snarled. Happens every time we get rain after long dry spells, like everybody has to re-learn how to drive, again.
                              Thank goodies we won't see snow...
                              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

OMG!! Don't go out there!! Its HORRIBLE!!! I thought I was used to rain cuz I lived in Florida for a long time, but its nothing like this except for hurricanes!!

The lake in Enchanted Lake is brown, because of the runoff, right?? (right? please somebody tell me its just brown with dirt!?) Theres tree branches down everywhere! I got about 1/3 of the way to school, but had to turn back at Castle Hospital, because of this blinding rain I couldn't see through the windshield, and the conditions up ahead looked even worse! It was kinda scary!

And I discovered that in heavy rain, my car leaks like a sieve. Can't wait til this rain stops so that I can go work on that problem with a tube of aquarium sealant.

On the plus side, the waterfalls tomorrow should look pretty cool...
                                ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Working...
                                X