Turtle Bay madness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Turtle Bay madness

The Turtle Bay Resort is for sale! Breaking news on the Pacific Business News website.
    Lord, I hope that's true, because that just might stop the madness!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Bummer. It turns out they might offer it for sale, but primarily they're looking for partners to help with the expansion plan of adding 3,500 more hotel rooms and condos.
      Damn.

Comment

I remember when the approvals for the additional hotels were grante and I mus say at the time it sounded okay and there was support for the project at the time. Of course times change and it is questionable if the project needed to get similar approval now that they would be approved.

I think we need to put some kind of sunset provision in our land use approval system. In the past the City Council and the State Legislature considered "use it or lose it" provision to prevent landowners from having land rezoned for commercial or residential use, then just sitting on the land until the market changed or they received a favorable offer for the land. These provisions were strongly opposed by the development community who was concerned that they would have to invest in the planning and design of a project and risk having the land use approvals lapse if for some reasons the project could not start on time. Mabe its time to consider some type of "use it or lose it" again because as Turtle Bay shows times change, communities change, and values change, and approval granted 20 or 30 years ago may no longer be consistent with current community sentiment.

Comment

* major bump *
          (Because this was the newest Turtle Bay Resort thread that I could find.)

Breaking news on the Star-Advertiser website:

The owners of Turtle Bay Resort are proceeding with an expansion plan for the North Shore property that represents a scaled-back version of a previous owner's plan.
          Turtle Bay Resort LLC, a group of investment firms that owns the 880-acre property between Kahuku and Sunset Beach, proposes to add 1,375 more hotel and condominium units to the site.
          The proposed density is about 60 percent less than a plan with 3,500 units and five hotels pushed by former property owner Oaktree Capital Management LLC, and 40 percent less than a draft plan with 2,345 units floated by Turtle Bay Resort LLC in March.
          Other elements of the plan include five parks — four along the shoreline — spread over 73 acres, 160 units of affordable housing representing almost triple what's required, a second resort entrance, a relocated equestrian center and reduction of one of Turtle Bay's two 18-hole golf courses to nine holes.
          The new plan is sketched out in a draft supplemental environmental impact statement preparation notice to be filed with the city Tuesday.

Comment

Working...
          X