No announcement yet.

McDonald's Premium Roast Coffee NEW!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McDonald's Premium Roast Coffee NEW!!!

Okay this morning after dropping off my kids at school I drove to McDonald's drive thru to order my Tuesday treat to myself...THE LOCAL DELUXE BREAKFAST PLATTER w/Coffee...black along with the Honolulu Advertiser (75-cents in Hilo).

I'm drinking my coffee as I read the paper and come across this article pertaining to McDonald's brand new Premium Roast coffee in a new paper wrapped styrofoam cup. Wow I can't wait to try this new coffee aimed at younger people who have a taste for Starbucks. Rollout was today 2/28/06.

The date caught my eye as it's today. So I take a good look at my cup of Joe and to my amazement...It's their new Premium roast coffee!

Geez I didn't even notice the difference.

Now don't get me wrong, McDonalds coffee is actually pretty good. In other words they don't BURN THE COFFEE as Starbucks does. Well by 10am maybe but then real coffee drinkers typically will take anything if they're desperate anyway. I just figured this cup was brewed appropriately and steeped for just the right amount of time before consumption.

My verdict? Good coffee, but for those who want a robust coffee don't expect this one to wow you. But if you want a good mild roast with a slight tanin to it's taste (the way good coffee should taste) then this coffee is perfect for your morning commute into town. It really makes for a great first cup in the morning. Thumbs up!
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Re: McDonald's Premium Roast Coffee NEW!!!

Bought breakfast for the kids this past Sunday...didn't know about their 'premium roast coffee', I thought they were still selling Kona blend coffee---asked the drive through window about the coffee (general question) ---didn't know anything about the coffee they serve---sheesh!

I remember back in my teen age working days in mid/late 70s (while I worked at the busiest McDs back then--the one and only Waikiki store on Kalakaua/Lewers) that we were *taught* about McD's products...so we know where it came from, etc.

Also don't know if they do the '6 Window Steps' anymore---which I feel is sad...

Comment

I always take Melanie to Mililani Mauka McD's for the occasional breakfast out. She likes the "Sprinkle Burger". I usually have to ask for at least 6 creamers with a small coffee. Don't know what they do, but it takes that much to make the cup of "coffee" palateable. I go there only because they have a pretty good track record of filling orders correctly. The coffee really isn't that bad.

We'd frequent Wahiawa McD's more frequently, but most of their counter help don't speak english. Our orders get screwed up at least 80% of the time, both drive-thru and counter. I'll stand there and tell the counter person to wait while I check the order before leaving the counter and holding up the line....being the grouchy old fart that I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye
        I always take Melanie to Mililani Mauka McD's for the occasional breakfast out. She likes the "Sprinkle Burger". I usually have to ask for at least 6 creamers with a small coffee. Don't know what they do, but it takes that much to make the cup of "coffee" palateable. I go there only because they have a pretty good track record of filling orders correctly. The coffee really isn't that bad.
        six creamers for a small coffee? Wow you should just order a cup of cream with a shot of coffee. Could you taste any coffee at all? I'd hate to see your face after taking a shot of expresso straight up (the way it was meant to be consumed).

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
          My verdict? Good coffee, but for those who want a robust coffee don't expect this one to wow you. But if you want a good mild roast with a slight tanin to it's taste (the way good coffee should taste) then this coffee is perfect for your morning commute into town. It really makes for a great first cup in the morning. Thumbs up!
          Thanks for sharing, Craig. I don't drink coffee, let alone McDonald's coffee, so I wouldn't have noticed any change if you hadn't mentioned it!

Of course, no one really serious about coffee would even consider McDonald's fare... or at least, wouldn't have any expectations of "premium roast" anything when grabbing that convenient, cheap cup of McCoffee. Whether it's for the beverages or the food, no one goes to McDonald's for quality. Speed, consistency, and maybe taste, but their strength is not in cuisine.

I was starting to wonder if both McDonald's and Burger King read the same market study or something, because in addition to this new coffee you posted about, I noticed that Burger King has "rebranded" its coffee as "Joe." Kind of going for a total blue-collar, blue-jeans, working-person's coffee image.

And it turns out, I wasn't too far off:

Fast-food restaurants spruce up coffee
          Facing upscale coffee heat not just from Starbucks but from the likes of Dunkin' Donuts, 7-Eleven and ExxonMobil stores, fast-food giants are brewing up fancier java to compete.
          I don't think McDonald's thinks their coffee will ever be as good as Starbucks coffee. But Starbucks knows they'll never be able to sell coffee as cheaply as McDonald's.

Comment

If McD's really wants to appeal to people who care about the taste of coffee (and not just the aftereffects), it needs to stop selling it in that styrene.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
              If McD's really wants to appeal to people who care about the taste of coffee (and not just the aftereffects), it needs to stop selling it in that styrene.
              When I saw that they were selling their coffee in styrofoam, the first thing I thought was "how unecological of them". And then I thought, "Gee, will the benzene and stuff leach out of those cups when the hot liquid is poured into them?" Something about drinking anything hot out of a styrofoam cup really really is unappealing to me. I think McD's missed the boat on this one, but then again, I haven't patronized a McD's in almost 6 months, even though they now have $1 bacon cheeseburgers. It'll be interesting to see if the inevitable hue and cry that will emerge from the throats of the environmentalists will force McD to switch to paper hot cups.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                When I saw that they were selling their coffee in styrofoam, the first thing I thought was "how unecological of them"...It'll be interesting to see if the inevitable hue and cry that will emerge from the throats of the environmentalists will force McD to switch to paper hot cups.
                I used to think this too, but seem to remember reading that advantages (environmentally) of paper over Styrofoam were not so clear cut. I tried surfing around for the stuff I had read before, and while I could not find that material, I discovered citations to some interesting stuff. For example, from a strictly energy consumption perspective, it takes a ton more energy to make a paper cup than it does a styrofoam cup. I base this on something I found here. . Taking a broader view, I came accross a letter from a UC San Diego Housing and Dining Services Administrator to students on the paper versus Styrofoam issue. My main take away from that letter was that the paper production process is not very enviro friendly. That letter is here.

Sorry this is OT, but since both Scrivener and Miulang mentioned this, I figured it was fair game….now back to something more productive….

Comment

I'm not one to follow such "rules". I like my espresso double with real cream and sugar. Here's how the French in Dieppe served us coffee. Get one medium size stock pot, the kind Kilgo's sells. Fill it half way with water and place it over a propane turkey fryer burner. Bring to a boil and add one bag of Nestle's instant coffee. Oi! The first night, I didn't know if it was a joke on us American guests or I was supposed to be really enjoying it. Then I noticed that they made it the same way for all our meals. The stuff does grow on you, or makes things grow on you where there aren't any. <LOL>

Comment

I'm drinking my coffee as I read the paper and come across this article pertaining to McDonald's brand new Premium Roast coffee in a new paper wrapped styrofoam cup. Wow I can't wait to try this new coffee aimed at younger people who have a taste for Starbucks. Rollout was today 2/28/06.

The date caught my eye as it's today. So I take a good look at my cup of Joe and to my amazement...It's their new Premium roast coffee!

Geez I didn't even notice the difference.

Now don't get me wrong, McDonalds coffee is actually pretty good. In other words they don't BURN THE COFFEE as Starbucks does. Well by 10am maybe but then real coffee drinkers typically will take anything if they're desperate anyway. I just figured this cup was brewed appropriately and steeped for just the right amount of time before consumption.

Psst! Craig! I hate to tell you this, but that cup of McD's "premium" coffee is more than likely from Seattle's Best Coffee (SBC), which is now owned by STARBUCKS! The local McD's up here have been serving SBC for years now as their only coffee. I guess they finally decided to expand into markets outside of Seattle with the "premium" blend from SBC. Actually, SBC to coffee snobs up here is considered to be the "second string" of the SBUX coffee brand.

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

must be the styrofoam cups then

One thing about McDonalds is they've been in the coffee brewing business wayyy longer than Starbucks and like everything there, they got it down to a science.

I had a friend tell me that McDonalds coffee was too weak for them as he poured in three creams and three sugars into his cup of Joe. I looked at him and said, "How in the world can you say that when the cream is making it even weaker...If you can't handle it black how would you know it's too weak?"

There's a difference between robust and burnt. Lion's Coffee is a robust coffee. And a good cup of coffee doesn't need the flavorizing with creams that's how I got used to drinking my coffee black, after drinking a cup of Lions I realized just how good a cup of coffee was supposed to taste like without the additives.

If and when I buy Starbucks, it's always by the bag and I brew it myself with a good stainless and well-seasoned electric percolator. I keep it on high until the percolation is steady, then I lower the heat to a simmer for ten minutes. Percolators make for a rich hearty cup of coffee. If you use a drip coffee maker, after it's done you steep it for about 10-minutes on the warmer plate before you drink it. But if you keep it on the warmer too long you begin to cook off the husk and that's what gives the coffee that burnt flavor. Coffee that's been out longer than an hour after initial brewing is pretty much burnt.

But by far the best way to prepare coffee is with a cold press where you never apply heat to the grind itself. All you get is pure coffee extract with no cooked husk.

Comment

But by far the best way to prepare coffee is with a cold press where you never apply heat to the grind itself. All you get is pure coffee extract with no cooked husk.
                        I agree! A Toddy is just about the best coffee I ever had. You can even take mediocre coffee and once you do the cold steep thing, it is not bad. A friend of mine used to freeze the toddy concentrate into ice cubes, and take it to work. So all he had to do was add one toddy ice cube, fill water to top, heat in micro for 1.5 minutes and you had something that would be sooo much better than the office coffee club.

Comment

OK. What is this? A "New Coke" scam?? Bring me my old Kona blend. This new stuff is junk.

The first couple of times I got it (hey it's morning and I need some coffee) I thought some new employee just added way too much water.

OY! I really liked the old stuff and that is the only reason I would go to McD's instead of Jacks. Jacks is cheaper so it will be my new stop. grrr

Comment

Fast food restaurants getting into fancy coffee. Fancy coffee stores getting into fast food.

Coming to Starbucks: Breakfast sandwiches to go with your latte
                            Once premium java percolated into the mainstream, it was only a matter of time before major fast-food and doughnut chains got more serious about their coffee. Bracing for that threat, Starbucks Corp. started trying out toasty egg and cheese sandwiches in its hometown coffeehouses three years ago. Now, as McDonald's Corp. and Burger King Corp. offer premium brew, and Dunkin' Donuts sells caramel swirl lattes, the Seattle-based coffee behemoth is more than doubling the number of stores that sell hot breakfast sandwiches this year.

Comment

Starbucks is doing this 'special coffee' every couple of months. It's a half pound for like $13, which is pretty damn pricey. BUT. We decided to try it out. Holy shiznit. It was some of the best damn coffee I've had in a loooong time. Well worth the price. It became our weekend coffee (rather than an every day coffee). It's their Black Apron Exclusives... First of the year was called Kenya Kirinyaga...excellent stuff. March 14th is the next batch...called Rwanda Blue Bourbon.

Never buy coffee ground, always buy it in whole bean, then grind it yourself. Makes every pot fresh and tasty.

We have a store here on the east coast called Wawa, and they recently started doing a 'special coffee'. It sucks. Too watered down. There's a coffee shop in Philly called The Bean, on South St. If you're ever there, I highly recommend it. If you want a really tasty cold drink, go for the mocha bean freeze...it's my favorite.

Comment

Working...
                              X