Warning! e-BankoH scam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning! e-BankoH scam

Heheheheh. Dunno how they got my email address, but there apparently is a scam trying to get BankoH banking information from gullible consumers.

If you get the following message, please do not click on any of the links. (P.S. I don't even have a BankoH account of any kind!)

Miulang

e-BANKOH - Unauthorized charge to your credit card

We recently reviewed your account, and we suspect an unauthorized ATM based transcation on your account. Therefore as a preventive measure we have temporary limited your access to sensitive Bank of Hawaii features. To ensure that your account is not compromised please login to your e-BANKOH Online Banking, verify your identify and your online accounts will be reactivated by our system.

SERVICE: e-BANKOH Online Banking and Bill Pay services.

What you need to do:

- Go to: www.boh.com/personal
    - Enter your user ID and Password (that you selected during the online enrollment process).
    - Enter the requested information and your Online Banking and Bill Pay services will be reactivated.

Thank you for using e-BANKOH .

Note: Bank of Hawaii customers are not held liable for any fraudulent charges to their accounts.

************************************************** **************************
    IMPORTANT CUSTOMER SUPPORT INFORMATION
    ************************************************** **************************

We are committed to delivering you a quality service that is reliable and highly secure. This email is one of many components designed to ensure your information is safeguarded at all times.

Please do not reply to this message. For any inquiries, contact Customer Service.

Document Reference: (92051208).

© Copyright Bank of Hawaii.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Warning! e-BankoH scam

Here's Bank of Hawaii's security alert about the phishing attack. As customers of Bank of America, CitiBank, Paypal, Ebay, and other common large targets get smarter, the scammers are going for smaller institutions.

Comment

I work as a webmaster for many accounts...

This same email came into my mail server...

I knew right from the beginning it was a scam because I have always banked with someone other than BOH.

However, the email did seem to fool some people as they asked me if this was real.

Comment

I got it yesterday and of course deleted it immediately.
        I don't have time to answer spammers like that, cuz I'm way too busy working out a deal with that attorney in Africa who promised me ten million dollars!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I received it yesterday, too...the first one shown on BoH's security alert page. The link near the bottom of the email to BoH's privacy policy appeared to be legit but my email app showed the other links to have numerical IPs.

Of course, I knew it was a phisherman 'cuz I don't have a BoH account!!! But, still, they're hitting a little close to home.

Comment

I really wish the targeted institutions would all take a leaf from PayPal and e-Bay and provide a dedicated e-mail address that this crap could be forwarded to for further investigation.

Forex, spoof@paypal.com and spoof@ebay.com are each addresses to which you can forward phishing mail, and they'll look at it. Open the phishmail to show the headers before forwarding.
            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Here's my favorite part of the phish message:
              Originally posted by Miulang
              © Copyright Bank of Hawaii.
              If the scammers ever get caught, they can also be prosecuted for false claim of copyright!

Comment

The one I saw in one of my email inboxes had a time to login and it had Eastern Time (and also, since when they have a time limit when to login?).

The only time I did business with BOH, was only to use their ATMs.
                How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I rec'd this e-mail too a few days ago. I forwarded it to the FBI and BOH.
                  I even called up BOH to inform them I rec'd this e-mail.
                  Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

I, too, manage a bunch of domains on my own server. When I got this email, I viewed the source code, found the numeric IP that the phishers were trying to get me to click to, looked up their location and ISP using:

http://www.arin.net/whois/index.html

Then I got their ISP's network block of assigned IP addresses. (They're in the Netherlands.)

Then I went to my firewall and added a rule to BLOCK THEM FROM ANY FURTHER ACCESS TO MY SERVER OR MY USERS' EMAIL ACCOUNTS.

Heh... I love it when that happens!

Blaine
                    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
                      Then I got their ISP's network block of assigned IP addresses. (They're in the Netherlands.)
                      Actually when I looked the headers, the IP addresses turned out be in Romania
                      in the e-mail I received ?
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

No, not the mail header. View the source of the mail and look for the "click here" link to see where the spoof web site is. Block that.

The emails can come from anywhere, even from here in Hawaii. They're using hijacked computers around the world to send the mail.

Blaine
                        Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

When I tried looking at the links they were these obviously funky URLs.
                          How can you see the source is my point for future reference...

It amazes me people can actually fall for these scams...
                          Anyway no matter, it came from the Verizon e-mail address that I wont
                          be using pretty soon.
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
                            I, too, manage a bunch of domains on my own server. When I got this email, I viewed the source code, found the numeric IP that the phishers were trying to get me to click to, looked up their location and ISP using:

http://www.arin.net/whois/index.html

Then I went to my firewall and added a rule to BLOCK THEM FROM ANY FURTHER ACCESS TO MY SERVER OR MY USERS' EMAIL ACCOUNTS.

Heh... I love it when that happens!

Blaine
                            Firewalls are cool. Surprised that so many people don't use them .. surf naked off of the high-speed cable/dsl modem ... WTF??? Oh my gosh, no wonders they have so many spam bots floating around!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S
                              It amazes me people can actually fall for these scams...
                              Anyway no matter, it came from the Verizon e-mail address that I wont
                              be using pretty soon.
                              ... for every technical user, there are 10 more non-technical users behind.

Comment

Working...
                              X