Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cockroaches?

Default Re: Cockroaches?

Quote Originally Posted by LikaNui View Post
    Must've been a really small studio if you had to sleep in the shower. Poor t'ing, you!

Shoots! My feets practically in da terlet! That was one sorry studio. One of those B-52s wouldn't go down the terlet no matter how many flushes. Learned later about using a drop of soap to break the surface tension/friction of the water. That buggah got canned. ticked me off.

When the roaches are flying, they are in breeding mode. It is critical to kill them all when they are in the flying and pheremoaning mood.

And do not leave their carcass behind. Flush. Them. All. Or you may be suprised that the buggah you *swore* you killed the night before is G*o*N*e by morning.

pax

WOW, unreal this thread came up. I had to go bathroom last nite so I on the lites and the bugga stay lookin at me with the antenas going crazy like one satelite looking for target. I wen grab the bath towel off the rack and slapp the bugga silly den flush um down da toilet. I hate those dam B-52`s. My wife no can stand the cane spiders, I gotta kill`um if not I not goin get any sleep.
    OGGBOY

Same here, my wife will not rest until the offending culprit is found and killed, lol. One time da bugga wen crawl into my well packed closet and took me for eva for find um, sheesh, lol.

Funny how they can see in the dark with only the Tv on. I can be in one deep sleep and get my body shaken like get one earthquake. Wake up wake up get one spider over dea. What???? I said get one spider over dea, No worry not goin bother. Go kill`um, go kill`um NOW!!!!!! Then gotta go hunting like you stay on one mission. No kill`um / No sleep!!!!

Orange County, CA (we don't say "OC" here)

OK...so here we are, 7 years into the 21st century & there's nothing roach-proof the house?

Out here in Orange Co., we don't have much of a bug problem @ all. However termites can eat up your investment if you don't take action. We did the yard spray twice & they didn't come back. Now they're using something called "Orange Oil" that they claim is a natural oil synthasized from citrus. The wood soaks it up & termites don't like it.

Anything like that for da B52's?

Quote Originally Posted by hedkikr View Post
    [...]Now they're using something called "Orange Oil" that they claim is a natural oil synthasized from citrus. The wood soaks it up & termites don't like it.

Anything like that for da B52's?
    Just a flip flop dipped in orange juice!

Wow. Never lived with the roaches, but I see the crawling ones by the canal when I visit. I understand the whole 'ick' factor associated with the bugs, but I think that I will eventually get used to that. My biggest concern is the question of poisonous, or not? Of course I refer to things like spiders and scorpions. Are they poisonous? How worried should I be in the event I get stung, or my three year old? Rush like crazy to the hospital, call 911, or calmly reach for my scorpion sting rubbing cream?

I have a question about bug repellant. Here in Canada we have these little electroninc devices that send out sonic waves to shoo away bugs. But our biggest nuisances are mosquitos. Are there similar things like that in Hawai'i? Do they work? Would they work? And by citrus based repellant, are you referring to Citronella? This topic is very interesting, cuz my wife is freaked out by the bugs, and she is going to stock on those electric fly swatter things so she can have 2 per room.

Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    Cockroaches like living in Hilo, too! They just plain ol' like Hawaii. Think about it...free food, no rent, great climate, beautiful scenery. Smart buggahs, those roaches!

Too funny! Not a bad life, until it's squished, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
    Sounds like this would be a good time to mention some of the previous HT "bug" threads: Centipede stories, Cane Spider in da house, and Whats the last thing you killed?

Hea is my kakaroach story. I shudder even now, ukubillion years later!

Oh sorry... I wen post dis link already. I cannot delete da post.
    Last edited by Mokihana; May 20th, 2007 at 09:13 AM.
    Aloha,
    Mokihana

Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    The majority of centipedes and scorpions I've seen have been on Waialae Iki and, as previously mentioned, Manoa. Both homes either rest on the edge of or butt up against a mountain.

Friends used to live at the Hawaii Kai Retirement Community which was built in a previously undeveloped valley. They had a horrible time with centipedes. Tons of centipedes. I guess the construction sent those critters scrambling.

My madda used to like to hang clothes on da clothesline; I grew up in Mānoa Valley. One time she told me to bring up the laundry basket with the clean clothes insai, and there, right on top, was a huge scorpion! I wen shriek and da clothes went flying, along with the scorpion. But I had to wash clothes all over again, cuz you know Mānoa and the rain/mud. Had plenny centipedes, too.

Living on the mainland, even though I miss home, I do NOT miss the bugs!
    Aloha,
    Mokihana

Quote Originally Posted by waiz4kooks View Post
    I have never seen a Scorpion in Hawaii before.
    Go to Mokuleia. Get plenny just along mauka side of Dillingham airstrip, under the ironwood trees..

Boric acid kills them off, eventually.

nebamine...to gross.

Killed with Raid.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Anyone here use the "recycled mayonaise jar with peanut butter spread in a strip around the inside downward facing edge" trick? Works like a charm.

Just rinse out (no soap) and wipe clean the inside of an emptied mayonaise jar, apply peanut butter and remove label for maximum visual appeal. Put a jar in your garage or storage areas and you'll see roaches start checking in in no time. The roaches can't get out unless you tip the jar over (not recommended). Once it's full, just screw the top back on and toss into your C&C rubbish bin. Or you could finally get even with that neighbor down the street. The one who lets his dog poop in front of your house and never bothers to collect the leavings.
    "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Quote Originally Posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
    Anyone here use the "recycled mayonaise jar with peanut butter spread in a strip around the inside downward facing edge" trick? Works like a charm.

Just rinse out (no soap) and wipe clean the inside of an emptied mayonaise jar, apply peanut butter and remove label for maximum visual appeal. Put a jar in your garage or storage areas and you'll see roaches start checking in in no time. The roaches can't get out unless you tip the jar over (not recommended). Once it's full, just screw the top back on and toss into your C&C rubbish bin. Or you could finally get even with that neighbor down the street. The one who lets his dog poop in front of your house and never bothers to collect the leavings.
    LMAO - you've given me an evil idea - i've got a neighbor like that.
    "The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."
    Socrates.

growing up in Lahaina Maui I got a good dose of all the creepy crawlers in the Islands. It wasn't uncommon to catch and pull a flying cockroach out of your hair at dinner time! Working in our yard once in Lahaina our cat warned us that my girlfriend then had a scorpion crawling up her ass while weeding in the yard! The constant meowing that he did alerted her to the danger of a scorpion.

This past June I moved into a brand new home in Puna. Second night in our house, a centipede was crawling up the leg of my wife!!!! Oh well, whatcha gonna do? It's part of the cost of living in paradise..

Hee! This thread is like a welcome mat for me. Twenty-eight years in pest control and I've accumulated quite a few creepy-critter stories. The best one ends with the joke on me, though. My first work day in Hawaii, I lifted a hatch to go into an attic and something fell down into my shirt and got in my bra. The local guy wo was showing me around thought it was really funny when I flew back down the ladder and was dancing around grabbing my boobs and practically stripping, trying to get the thing out of there. I finally got a hold on it and tossed it against the wall. My tour guide was almost peeing himself by then and yells out "Spock 'em!" It was a couple of weeks before I found out that spock 'em wasn't Hawaiian for "gecko."

Quote Originally Posted by skeeterbess View Post
    Hee! This thread is like a welcome mat for me. Twenty-eight years in pest control and I've accumulated quite a few creepy-critter stories. The best one ends with the joke on me, though. My first work day in Hawaii, I lifted a hatch to go into an attic and something fell down into my shirt and got in my bra. The local guy wo was showing me around thought it was really funny when I flew back down the ladder and was dancing around grabbing my boobs and practically stripping, trying to get the thing out of there. I finally got a hold on it and tossed it against the wall. My tour guide was almost peeing himself by then and yells out "Spock 'em!" It was a couple of weeks before I found out that spock 'em wasn't Hawaiian for "gecko."
    Oh my gosh. Thanks for sharing that story! It was so funny. Fortunately, I didn't wake my sleeping girls lying next to me while laughing so hard. Thank yooooo!

Has anyone found that these critters get into beds under the covers very often? I can handle killing the occasional roach, spider, etc..., but don't want to slip into bed to be greeted by one!

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Quote Originally Posted by kool_kat View Post
    Has anyone found that these critters get into beds under the covers very often? I can handle killing the occasional roach, spider, etc..., but don't want to slip into bed to be greeted by one!
    HEY HEY HEY!!! Keep the domestic issues off this thread okay?
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by kool_kat View Post
    Nah. But a centipede is a different story.

I haven't had that problem, but one did share a bed with my friends on a camping trip.

They're in my car!!!! Ewwwwwww!!!
    I was driving yesterday when something felt funny on my foot, and I look down and see a medium sized roach wandering up my leg!!! EEEk!! Freak out!!
    So, when I got home last night I sprayed around all the doors with Raid Max, and took out every scrap of trash I could find.
    This morning, while I'm vacuuming out the car, guess what is sitting on the backseat looking at me??
    It ran off too fast for me to suck him up.

Any good ideas for de-roaching an old car?
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

maybe set up some roach motels?
    "chaos reigns within.
    reflect, repent and reboot.
    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Default Just be glad it wasn't a centipede!

If you have a garage, you need to bug bomb (...with your car inside, doors & windows shut and whatever to block the space under the doors) heavily enuf to get them where they hide, and do it again in 3 weeks to get the (new word alert!) ukukeiki.

No garage? Tarp over with bricks holding it down.

Now, if just The Bus could figure this out...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast