Cockroaches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cockroaches?

If you want practice, spend a summer in Florida. If the roaches and the rest of the bugs don't chase you back to Ohio, you'll do alright in Hawai'i. When we lived in Hawaii, some friends and I were playing around base housing and turned over a rock. That centipede must have been about a foot long. It saw us, we saw it and nobody knows which ran away faster, us or the centpede. Then was the scouting trip to Bellows AFB at the beach. One kid started screaming at the top of his lungs and eventually knocked over his tent. A scorpion had crawled into his sleeping bag. Fond memories. It wasn't my sleeping bag! At least Hawai'i doesn't have the brown recluse spider. I got bit by one in Florida. There the B-52s are called Palmetto bugs and I've even seen them in Arizona. Large flying cockroaches, they're everywhere you want to be!
    Cats and computers. Bring them into your home and your life is no longer your own.

Comment

Speaking of which....

Does anyone here in HT.com know how to get rid of them other than preventing from them than not leaving any food or crumbs for them to get at?

How do you get rid of the ugly bastids off of your home forever & to prevent them from coming in &/or coming back in??

No matter how any one here tries to keep clean,
      they still try to sneak in one way or another!!.

I wish I could just shoot them down or bomb them to where they came from!!. UGH!!.

Does any one here have an answer to get rid of them at all??

Please help.

Aloha.
      Aches & Pains
      (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Oh wow,

I'd like to thank everybody who responded. Just the fact that I got 3 pages of replies is, well, kinda scary. Those of you who didn't respond....were probably busy killing cockroaches !
        I live in Japan, and we get the odd roach here and there. I find that keeping the drain in the sink plugged helps, but they still get in other ways.
        The other problem I have is that I have a cat, and if we move to Hawaii, I don't want my cat to eat roaches! He probably will too. The good news is that he'd probably enjoy hunting them down and playing with them....then killing the bastards.
        I'm guessing the most roaches live where the most people are? Honolulu/Waikiki?
        I wonder if the problem is as bad out by Makaha or Kaneohe etc...?
        Thanks again everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Serenity
          Speaking of which....

Does anyone here in HT.com know how to get rid of them other than preventing from them than not leaving any food or crumbs for them to get at?

How do you get rid of the ugly bastids off of your home forever & to prevent them from coming in &/or coming back in??

No matter how any one here tries to keep clean,
          they still try to sneak in one way or another!!.

I wish I could just shoot them down or bomb them to where they came from!!. UGH!!.

Does any one here have an answer to get rid of them at all??

Please help.

Aloha.
          Can't really get rid of them forever, but you can control them by treating the perimeter of you house. There's a number of insecticides on the market that will keep the bugs away for up to 3 months. The down side is they're harmful to pets and kids. However, there is a citrus type product that you can use and does work, but doesn't last as long as the other stuff. It's also a bit more costly. Just check out any garden departement and you'll find a white spray bottle. It's a clear liquid and doesn't smell citrusy at all. Just have to keep the pets and kids away till it dries.

Comment

Waded thru all 3 pages & I gotta ask, "Anybody have any cockaroach info for Hilo-side?"

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by hedkikr View Post
              Waded thru all 3 pages & I gotta ask, "Anybody have any cockaroach info for Hilo-side?"

Thanks
              Cockroaches like living in Hilo, too! They just plain ol' like Hawaii. Think about it...free food, no rent, great climate, beautiful scenery. Smart buggahs, those roaches!

Comment

The worst thing about cockroaches is when you hear them rustling around your office or home but can't see them (especially the big B52 variety) until it surprises you by either flying down from off a high place or scampering across a desk or shelf at the worst time. Then you either looking for the slipper, broom, insecticide or anything else that can deliver a quick, lethal death to the bastard.

OK... insecticide only makes them behave more badly before they eventually die. And I hate em when the big ones walk upside down on my ceiling.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

While living at the UH Hilo dorm in the mid 70's I noticed a kind of small cockaroach moving on it's back. Turned out it was 3 ants hauling this dead roach.

Comment

Yes I have seen my share of roaches back home and was not fond of da ones dat fly at yoooooou!

Whats worse is when they land on you its frickin creepy!

Since living here in the bay area I have NOT seen roaches over here though...

But there are those pesky ants and teeny tiny spiders

Comment

I am not so worried about the B-52's, in Bermuda we had them all over, called 'em palmettos.

Now those cane spiders...that is another story! I do not like spiders.
                      flickr

An email from God:
                      To: People of Earth
                      Date: 9/04/2007
                      Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                      God

Comment

Thanks
                        I can tell you from my experiences. Get plenty. They like living in the cracks and crevices of the lava rock and popular rock walls. It's the B52 variety and they get big over there. They will find a way into your home. FIL used to chase them down, grab them with his bare hands and squoosh them. He said the guts wasn't the problem. It's the oily residue it leaves behind from it's carapace. If I think anymore on it, I'm going to hurl.
                        Where's Craig?

Comment

My dad was stationed to Schofield way back in '79 and when the rest of us got there and were into our new crib, lol, i went to take a shower and when i leaned down to turn the water off, omg, huge! big, icky roach!!! I was only 12 and i dont think i had much *experience* with having to live with them but i do know thats what it was and i will never get used to the popping sound they made when my mom would flat kill em with her bare hands. Apparently, the army wouldnt spray the houses and each time we did get rid of them, someone else would move on either side of us and back they would come again.
                          I sure would let that be my only reason to decide against living in Hawaii however!!
                          If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

Originally posted by memorylane View Post
                            [...]each time we did get rid of them, someone else would move on either side of us and back they would come again.[...]
                            You bring up a good point. Living in a condo or townhouse...IOW, a shared wall situation...leaves even clean freaks vulnerable to the return of the roach! I rarely have a roach in my Makaha condo, which is an end unit. While there's a unit above me, it's vacant. There's no unit below me but there is one on one side of mine. Currently no one lives next door so I have no roach problem at all...an occasional mouse problem but, rarely, roaches; I might see 3 a year.

Many years ago a family of 5 lived next door. They were the antithesis of clean freaks and...OMG...even the roaches couldn't handle their filth. The roaches took refuge in my place!!! I swear I could see the relief on those buggers faces! Eventually the health dept. got involved and the family moved. The roaches disappeared.

I was house sitting once and was awakened by a tickle across my back. I was sleeping on my back! I jumped outta bed and there was a B52 crawling along the bed. Eeeewwwwwwwwww...

Comment

I lived in a studio in Palolo for a while and each night I'd pour myself a glass of water for bedside. Each morning, there'd be a B-52 in it. In the shower, the B-52s would beat up the geckos. I slept so well there. I think angels were shielding me from the fact that my futon, on the ground, with me sleeping in between the sheets, was probably a playground for the buggahs all night long.
                              I remember when Lorna Lim wrote a story about them for The Advertiser (Now at the Chicago Tribune); there was a report that had evidence that cockroaches would climb on babies faces to eat the dribble around the lips. I think she left out the detail because we didn't want to freak out readers. I lasted about six weeks in that studio. I was rescued by a White Knight and he's my hero to this day.
                              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                                I lived in a studio in Palolo for a while and each night I'd pour myself a glass of water for bedside. Each morning, there'd be a B-52 in it. In the shower, the B-52s would beat up the geckos. I slept so well there.
                                Must've been a really small studio if you had to sleep in the shower. Poor t'ing, you!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X