I want HDTV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: I want HDTV

Whatever happened with KHON primetime HD. I called a few times since January and was told each time just a week or so. The last time they told me just another week, was 2 months ago. I don't understand why they don't make a public statement about the status of HD primetime.
    Brad White
    sigpic
    http://www.pan-flute.com

Comment

Originally posted by Brad White View Post
      Whatever happened with KHON primetime HD. I called a few times since January and was told each time just a week or so. The last time they told me just another week, was 2 months ago. I don't understand why they don't make a public statement about the status of HD primetime.
      Last time I tried emailing them, around the 1st of the month, they told me they'd make an announcement when they're HD ready. I replied asking for a timeline, they said there is none.

I'm kinda tired waiting for their HD too.
      I want Ed on Blu-ray/DVD

Comment

All of Honolulu's HD stations plus DT sub-channels are now available on Dish Network.

HD stations:
        KHON
        KITV
        KGMB
        KHNL
        KFVE
        KHET

Sub-channels:
        KITV's Weather Now
        KHNL-NBC Weather Plus
        KHON-Hawaii's CW
        KHET-Create TV

You need an Mpeg4 receiver (Vip 211 or 622-DVR) and a dish for the 110w satellite.

Comment

Thought I 'd revive this thread - I sprang for a plasma last spring and was kicking myself for not going digital earlier. I'm strictly OTA and the digital signals are oooH so much clearer, with HD just icing on the cake. I have an old rabbit ears antenna and pick up all the local broadcasts (Ewa) except the PBS primary channel (I do get the Create channel). I hope to try some of the antenna ideas previously mentioned soon...
          May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Oh my goodness! I've been trying to get PBS HD OTA since I bought an HDTV in April. I've had good to excellent reception of all the other digital channels from day one, but never anything but a black screen on 11.1. I've e-mailed Leslie Wilcox and her technical people more than once (they assured me it wasn't a problem on their side) and I check the channel for signal at least twice a week. Now I mention the problem here and, miraculously, I am receiving 11.1 ON THE VERY SAME DAY! Not only am I receiving, but there are no drop-outs or picture losses. Coincidence? Perhaps, but I thank whoever may have been responsible for the change.

Comment

Okay, for digital OTA users: 13.1 is back [from 35.2], but when I re-searched for channels, 5.1 disappeared. That is to say, I no longer get channel 5 in digital. Anyone else notice this problem? Why can't the stations notify us [on their websites, for instance] when problems develop? E-mail enroute...

Comment

From reports on the AVS Forum, Oceanic added TBS-HD this morning on ch 1551. Just in time for baseball!

Comment

I found this interesting posting in regards to someone's adventure to get their TiVo to work with Oceanic Cable.

http://www.knowing.net/PermaLink,gui...53041aebf.aspx

"A year ago I said that HDTV didn't make sense for me. But with the arrival of Tivo HD, the dollar weakening and making dramatic price drops less likely, and the Red Sox making the playoffs, I decided to make the jump and bought a Philips 42".

The biggest problem is that once you see high-definition channels in your own home side-by-side with standard definition, the standard definition channels look horrible. We actually had the TV for a couple days before I got the HD cable package and we were like "OK, definitely more noticeable compression and blurriness on the bigger screen, but that's fine." And then I got the set-top box and saw how much better the pictures look.

Then, all the trouble started. I chose to stick with Oceanic Time-Warner Cable rather than satellites because to receive HD satellite programming in Hawaii, you have to place two 2.5m dishes in your yard! Our neighbors have them and they're huge and ugly -- a non-starter for us. Plus, my Tivo HD was winging its way island-ward. All I would do is order some CableCards and life would be good."

Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

I was able to re-capture 5.1 on Thursday last week, all is well with my digital OTA reception again...

Comment

Just heard the VERY tail end of some kind of banter among anchors leading into the weather on KGMB ten o'clock news - something about KGMB in HD for free. Maybe some kind of broadcast HD promotion? November sweeps started yesterday . . .
                      Last edited by Kimo; November 2, 2007, 10:29 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                        Just heard the VERY tail end of some kind of banter among anchors leading into the weather on KGMB ten o'clock news - something about KGMB in HD for free.
                        ???

You mean [digital?] cable users have been paying for OTA HD channels like premium channels?

I thought they're free to begin with, especially after February 17, 2009.
                        Last edited by Random; November 3, 2007, 12:49 AM.
                        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

They were announcing the availability of their HD feed via DirectTV starting tomorrow. Then Kim Gennaula added that of course you can already get their HD signal over the air for free *IF* you live in the parts of Honolulu that don't have obstructions blocking line-of-sight to their broadcast tower.

[/RANT]I live in Hawaii Kai, so that makes OTA out of the question. I also live in a rented townhouse, which makes DirectTV and Dish network non-starters. My ONLY option to receive anything here is OTW, so, like much of the island, I'm SOL...STILL![END RANT]
                          No, I'm not the Larry Price, I just happen to have the same name.

Comment

Here's EE's update in this morning's Star Bull:

http://starbulletin.com/2007/11/03/b...s/story04.html

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                              Just heard the VERY tail end of some kind of banter among anchors leading into the weather on KGMB ten o'clock news - something about KGMB in HD for free. Maybe some kind of broadcast HD promotion? November sweeps started yesterday . . .
                              As of Friday nite they're still not showing all primetime shows in HD over-the-air (via antenna). In fact, nothing was last nite.
                              I want Ed on Blu-ray/DVD

Comment

Originally posted by LarryPrice View Post
                                [/RANT]I live in Hawaii Kai, so that makes OTA out of the question. I also live in a rented townhouse, which makes DirectTV and Dish network non-starters. My ONLY option to receive anything here is OTW, so, like much of the island, I'm SOL...STILL![END RANT]
                                Oh great.

Do you think they're going to resolve this before they turned off OTA analog broadcasting signals by February 2009?

How is the government (state and/or federal) helping us getting digital broadcasting signals to cover all of the state of Hawai'i?
                                Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Working...
                                X