Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: I want HDTV

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    [...]I wonder how long it'll take before I have to make my first trouble shooting call to Oceanic!
    1st troubleshooting call was on Wednesday!
    2nd troubleshooting call was this morning!
    Dang, the HD box is glitchy. Stuff happens outta the blue. Rebooting the box doesn't help. Tech support has to walk me thru a whole bunch of button pushing to find the right combo that gets everything operational again. <sigh>
    Originally posted by cezanne View Post
    I'm only subscribed to the basic HD service which I believe include 20 something channels. Not all the programs on those channels are in HD but it still looks better than the non-HD channel of the same broadcast. THe easiest way to find out if the program you're watching is in HD is to press GUIDE on your remote and you will/or will not see HD in bold.
    Hmmm...didn't realize there was a choice of HD services! I assume I have basic, also. I mentioned to the installer that OTW staff, when taking an order, needs to ask pertinent questions when it becomes obvious, as in my case, that a customer is clueless. I had to have an installer out twice because I didn't know exactly what to ask for and the salesperson never questioned me. I first received digital service when I really wanted HD. Prior to the 1st installer I didn't realize there was a difference!

Thanks for the HD/Guide tip. Appreciate it. I think all channels on an HD set look better than on an analogue set. And, some programs absolutely knock my socks off! I have Keali`i Reichel's new DVD. It's since been released in HD. Anyway, the DVD I have looks unbelievable on my HD set. I can't imagine what the quality of the HD DVD looks like. Come to think of it, I don't have an HD DVD player!

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
      ...THe easiest way to find out if the program you're watching is in HD is to press GUIDE on your remote and you will/or will not see HD in bold.
      Good idea, but note that it's not *always* correct.
      I want Ed on Blu-ray/DVD

Comment

Come to think of it, I don't have an HD DVD player!
        I'll wait until the format war is over, but I'll be jeering Sony and their blu-ray.
        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

...Hmmm...didn't realize there was a choice of HD services!...
          Actually, there isn't. There's only the HD Pak. The only catch is, that if you want the HD versions of HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, TMC, and Starz, you also have to subscribe to standard definition versions of them. And of course, you have to have Digital Cable first to get any of it.

Welcome to the Wonderful World of HD!
          No, I'm not the Larry Price, I just happen to have the same name.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
            I'll wait until the format war is over, but I'll be jeering Sony and their blu-ray.
            I got tired of waiting for the war to end. My 70" Sony was begging me to feed it more HD content! So I got a PS3 for Blu-ray and Toshiba HD-XA2 for HD-DVD. Love both machines!

As for jeering, feel free, but I'll be jeering the HD-DVD crowd, so I guess you and I will just cancel each other out...

Comment

Originally posted by LarryPrice View Post
              Actually, there isn't. There's only the HD Pak. The only catch is, that if you want the HD versions of HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, TMC, and Starz, you also have to subscribe to standard definition versions of them. And of course, you have to have Digital Cable first to get any of it.

Welcome to the Wonderful World of HD!
              Thanks. It's a whole, new learning curve for me!

I noticed in zap2it.com that channel 108 (FBN) has several programs in a row this afternoon marked as HD. But 108 isn't an HD station. Does that mean it doesn't broadcast in true HD?

There's an incredible HD program about tarantulas on 1347 (Nat. Geo.) right now. So real....ewwwwwww!!!

Comment

Thanks. It's a whole, new learning curve for me!

I noticed in zap2it.com that channel 108 (FBN) has several programs in a row this afternoon marked as HD. But 108 isn't an HD station. Does that mean it doesn't broadcast in true HD?

There's an incredible HD program about tarantulas on 1347 (Nat. Geo.) right now. So real....ewwwwwww!!!
                No, 108 would only be SD. The programs themselves might have been produced in HD, like most of the network prime time programming. But until OTW carries the HD version of FBN, SD is all we get. They're promising several more HD channels early next year. I think someone posted a list of them over at avsforum.com. I'll try and find it tomorrow and link or paste it here.

Comment

Bummers, my kids got a Microsoft X-Box 360 that can play HD disks. The unfortunate part is that the cable supplied with the unit gives you just that composite crap connections so you don't get the true native resolution on our 42-Inch HDTV.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                    Bummers, my kids got a Microsoft X-Box 360 that can play HD disks. The unfortunate part is that the cable supplied with the unit gives you just that composite crap connections so you don't get the true native resolution on our 42-Inch HDTV.
                    That's because they WANT you to buy the expensive HDMI cables.

TV makers should provide them, since they don't pack supplied antennas anymore.
                    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Thanx, Ninja. I noticed your location. Do you work at VL? If so, might we know each other?

Don't know what VL is...so that would probably mean no. Sorry.

BTW, As your probably finding out HD is like Potato Chips. Just can't have a couple of chips, you have keep eating them and crave for more.

It also too bad KGMB and Oceanic can't work out a deal. KGMB can just about air anything in HD now.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja View Post
                        Don't know what VL is...so that would probably mean no. Sorry.[...]
                        Video Life! That's where I bought my TV...and other electronics over the years. Great customer service! I didn't want to "out" you in case you wanted to remain anonymous, hence, the intials that probably fooled no one!

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                          Bummers, my kids got a Microsoft X-Box 360 that can play HD disks.
                          Doesn't the X-Box 360 need the separate HD DVD add-on drive to play them?
                          The unfortunate part is that the cable supplied with the unit gives you just that composite crap connections so you don't get the true native resolution on our 42-Inch HDTV.
                          You can get very good HDMI cables here at reasonable prices, http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/...bles/index.htm. Downright cheap compared to over priced name brands, and you pretty much get the same or better performance.
                          These are popular too, http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...02&cp_id=10243

I want Ed on Blu-ray/DVD

Comment

Video Life! That's where I bought my TV...and other electronics over the years. Great customer service! I didn't want to "out" you in case you wanted to remain anonymous, hence, the intials that probably fooled no one!

Fooled Me.

...any now seems so obvious. <conks head>

Comment

Originally posted by 808htfan View Post

You can get very good HDMI cables here at reasonable prices, http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/...bles/index.htm. Downright cheap compared to over priced name brands, and you pretty much get the same or better performance.

Ya know I remember reading somewhere that you indeed do need an external HD DVD Drive unit for the X-Box which to me makes absolutely no sense at all since the prices of HD players are dropping. Oh well I guess I'll stick to my Sony High Def DVD player for now.
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by 808htfan View Post

You beat me to it 808! I haven't bought from blujeanscable but they have a great reputation. I can personally vouch for monoprice though. Top-notch quality at rock-bottom prices. Whatever you do, don't let some sales clerk talk you into monster cables. The only thing montrous about them is their outrageous prices! Their cables aren't bad, just ridiculously overpriced.

Comment

Working...
                                X