I want HDTV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want HDTV

Just wonderin' since its about a month away...

Are any of our local tv channels (besides KITV) close to broadcasting digital by the 2006 Fcc deadline?

Mahaloz.

Re: All Digital Broadcast by 2006?

Actually, the date for a digital switcheroo is anywhere from Dec. 31, 2008 to April 7, 2009, depending on which bill eventually gets passed.

Check it out in this article: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

Comment

Re: KHON TV Sold

Off topic a bit,
      I hope KGMB is sold soon and that the new owners of both KGMB and KHON finally get primetime shows in HDTV on the air. Regarding HDTV, that goes for KHNL and KFVE too. What's the holdup?
      I want Ed on Blu-ray/DVD

Comment

Originally posted by 808htfan
        Off topic a bit,
        Regarding HDTV, that goes for KHNL and KFVE too. What's the holdup?
        I would suppose reaching a carriage agreement with Oceanic is probably
        one of the stumbling blocks probably.
        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
        The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S
          I would suppose reaching a carriage agreement with Oceanic is probably
          one of the stumbling blocks probably.
          That's one thing. Right now, their not even broadcasting HDTV over-the-air except for football on KHON & KGMB.
          I want Ed on Blu-ray/DVD

Comment

The previous 3 messages have been merged to this thread to continue discussion on digital TV / HDTV broadcasting in Hawaii.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by 808htfan
              Regarding HDTV, that goes for KHNL and KFVE too. What's the holdup?
              Aside from a carriage agreement with Oceanic, I’m wondering if KHNL/KFVE even has HDTV broadcast capability. They are after all, the poorest station, and last place in the ratings. In addition, during negotiations with UH Athletics, Oceanic offered to purchase an HD truck to broadcast the games live in HD. This was an offer KHNL/KFVE could not match (although UH stupidly chose them anyway, most likely because Jim Leahey may have had a no-compete clause in his contract).

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
                Aside from a carriage agreement with Oceanic, I’m wondering if KHNL/KFVE even has HDTV broadcast capability. They are after all, the poorest station, and last place in the ratings.
                So I guess the holup is money in their case...

Originally posted by TuNnL
                In addition, during negotiations with UH Athletics, Oceanic offered to purchase an HD truck to broadcast the games live in HD.
                Wow, I didn't know about that! That would've been great, I'd consider buying games on pay-per-view for that. As it is now, there's no way I'd pay.
                I want Ed on Blu-ray/DVD

Comment

Re: Digital TV Broadcasting in Hawaii

KGMB has the ability to air primetime HD programming, but with the impending sale by Emmis can't offer a deal Oceanic to carry KGMB-HD over cable.

KHON doesn't have the ability to air primetime HD programming and due to the way FOX transmits it's an expensive process to do so. New KHON owner SJL Broadcasting looks like a penny-pinching bunch so it's might even be worse than Emmis, they wanted to be compensated by Oceanic to carry KGMB/KHON in HD and have a sponser. Emmis at least invested in the ability for KGMB/KHON to offer some HD progammming.

KFVE/KHNL are, according to them, investing in the ability to offer HD but with that will multi-cast. KHNL will offer NBC's WeatherPlus service, KFVE will offer Raycom's "The Tube" music video channel. Don't be too suprised that KHNL/KFVE uses the two channels as conditions for Oceanic to carry the HD channels.

KHET is working on installing a STL to begin transmitting in digital. KHET when it does begin transmitting will have the ability to offer PBS-HD programming. In PBS's case the HD tier is seperate from the other programming, so the ability to timeshift isn't necessary but it may mean HD programming at inconvienent times. Translation, get a HD-DVR.

FWIW, it's unlikely KIKU will ever offer HD from UPN. Unlike the other stations, KIKU is truely a small time operation.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja
                    KGMB has the ability to air primetime HD programming, but with the impending sale by Emmis can't offer a deal Oceanic to carry KGMB-HD over cable.

KHON doesn't have the ability to air primetime HD programming and due to the way FOX transmits it's an expensive process to do so. New KHON owner SJL Broadcasting looks like a penny-pinching bunch so it's might even be worse than Emmis, they wanted to be compensated by Oceanic to carry KGMB/KHON in HD and have a sponser. Emmis at least invested in the ability for KGMB/KHON to offer some HD progammming.

KFVE/KHNL are, according to them, investing in the ability to offer HD but with that will multi-cast. KHNL will offer NBC's WeatherPlus service, KFVE will offer Raycom's "The Tube" music video channel. Don't be too suprised that KHNL/KFVE uses the two channels as conditions for Oceanic to carry the HD channels.

KHET is working on installing a STL to begin transmitting in digital. KHET when it does begin transmitting will have the ability to offer PBS-HD programming. In PBS's case the HD tier is seperate from the other programming, so the ability to timeshift isn't necessary but it may mean HD programming at inconvienent times. Translation, get a HD-DVR.

FWIW, it's unlikely KIKU will ever offer HD from UPN. Unlike the other stations, KIKU is truely a small time operation.

Great info, thanks, Ninja.

I wasn't aware KGMB could timeshift HD. Why aren't they broadcasting primetime HD over-the-air at least? Or are they now?

I'd love to get an HD-DVR, but I'm not willing to pay Oceanic another $9.95/mo. at this point.
                    I want Ed on Blu-ray/DVD

Comment

NOT TO OFFEND ANYONE...

BUT do most of you understand what Digital Broadcasting means? I am not sure why you would make an issue whether or not the stations are broadcasting in Digital or not. Unless you DON'T have cable (20% of the islands) than Digital Broadcasting wouldn't pertain to you. And when the broadcasters turn their ANALOG transmitter off in 2009, you can't take that TV to the beach to watch television unless by then you already spent more money on a tv that receives digital signals. Most people are on antenna because they can't afford Oceanic so now the FCC is making them buy a new TV.

The 20% of viewers who have rabbit ears or and antenna on their homes would matter. This would mean that you would have to purchase another Tv that receives Digital OFF-AIR signals or buy a digital receiver box (tuner) for your analog TV. I believe that 20" tv's or larger should have a digital tuner. (I could be mistaken on the size). And with digital, either the signal is there or it isn't. NO SNOW. NO Grainy signal. Good or bad? But when your tuner does LOCK to the digital signal, it looks nice.

I think alot of the elderly don't understand this, and they will wonder why their TV's don't work come 2009.

As far as Multicasting, once again, unless you have and antenna an a digital tuner, this doesn't matter to you. (Oceanic viewers will just have another channel added to it's lineup)

Most broadcasters DON'T and won't broadcast in HD. But Oceanic will have a seperate channel for stations that can provide a HD signal. You would have to go to Oceanic to get a HD box (more money).

If you have Oceanic, you can check out the stations in digital 88, 89, 85, 82, 87 (some others) and see the signal there. Yeah okay looks a little better than 8 (KHNL), 9 (KIKU), 5 (KFVE), 7 (KGMB), 4(kbfd), but not by a big difference.

Then you need a better TV to appreciate the difference. (more money again).

Ninja.. Just because KHET is getting a STL for their digital transmitter, this has nothing to do with Oceanic and a HD-DVR. Once again, this is only for people with Antennas. Also, KGMB has been providing a HD signal to Oceanic. Remember not all programming comes in HD format. HD is basically widescreen format. So you would notice signals jumping from HD to regular size or converted to HD which would make people have fat faces.

Ninja... please don't confuse what the stations provide Oceanic to the signal that the signal that the stations provide their transmitters.

KIKU may be small, but think about it. KIKU only has 2 hours of UPN programming a day. Most of you aren't even at home at 4pm to watch it. I am not sure if they show wrestling (which might be the only thing worth watching in HD,) but other than that, movies are reruns from years past that weren't even shot in HD so this would have to be converted with fat faces.

TUNNL.. as far as UH sports on KFVE goes.. Have you seen the quality of the production on Oceanic Sports? No matter if the signal is in HD, the quality of the picture doesn't matter, if the production value sucks. I really don't think you can compare the quality of the broadcast from KFVE to that of Oceanic. KFVE has a very well seasoned staff. Most of the senior people ther have been there for +15 years. Oceanic uses freelancers that don't give a hoot about the show. It's not their production, it's just a paycheck.

Comment

Eh, I'm Bi-Polar! Write simple. Get to the point. Buy T.V. no buy T.V. ? What knid T.V.? Ssssh? Wat you like try start one RIOT?

Auntie Lynn
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Just a thought. Don't be surprised, if Oceanic doesn't carry these Multicasts that local stations start to offer. Oceanic is not obligated to carry the multicast stuff. Oceanic would be losing out on precious bandwith space that they could use to but up some free "All Texas Hold'em Channel" and make bucks on commercial insertion.

With local stations now starting to have a; "Pay us, our you can't carry us" attitude. Oceanic will do what it needs to do, to stay legal and that's it. Which means, carry the Full power station. The multi-channel off-shoots don't qualify.

DXer

Comment

With a large portion of Oahu's population hooked into cable, Oceanic would be foolish not to offer the multcasts offered by the broadcast channels... or maybe the broadcast channels would be foolish to offer the multicasts if they are not available to a large chunk of the cable audience. Somehow I smell a new revenue stream brewing somewhere on one or both fronts... depending of course what kind of content will be available on the separate stream.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

If I understand correctly, when stations go digital, they can either broadcast in HD, or they can use all that bandwidth to offer several SD (Standard Definition) channels (multicasting), but they can't do both. If any local station executives are reading this thread, let me cast my vote for High Definition. I want my HDTV!

Of course, I realize that I'm probably in the minority. Most people don't have HD-capable TV's yet and won't until the prices come way down. I've had one for five years now and I can't get enough HD programming!

Larry Price
                              Long-time member of the Technology Early Adopters Society
                              No, I'm not the Larry Price, I just happen to have the same name.

Comment

Working...
                              X