I want HDTV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Digital TV Broadcasting in Hawaii

I hesitate to put my broadcast eggs into digital...yet!

Like an earlier post said that with digital the signal is either there or not. The problem is the "not" part. With analog signals the signal may be weak but at least you'll see the touchdown albeit a bit snowy but you'll see it. With digital the signal digitizes then you get this message telling you the digital signal was lost and the receiver has to recompile the signal before it can shoot it out to your TV monitor. By then the play is over and you're pissed off immensely.

Yeah HD gives great picture quality and tons of bonus add on's but if the bit-stream cannot maintain itself and you lose just one bit in the broadband signal...that's it, no signal.

But the biggest hurdle in HDTV is the fact that it requires such a high frequency for broadband reception that it's RF signal is limited to line of sight transmission meaning many many many repeaters to daisy chain the signal.

With so many people against RF radiation from these high frequency transmitters (cell phone towers) I wonder if the FCC has considered the environmental impact from these towers and the acceptance from nearby residences.

Remember with HDTV digital signals, Off the Air transmissions to digital ready TV sets can be as capeable as ANY TV set hooked up to cable. Basically having HD television signals broadcast over the air could be the deathnail to the cable and satellite TV industry.

Don't think so? Heck there is a thing called Wireless Broadband Internet that allows you to hook up to the internet at broadband speeds without the need for cable or DSL. Who else does this impact? Well if you can get VOIP over a DSL or Cable ISP, why not Wireless?

In other words with HDTV signals being broadcast over the airwaves has the same market catching ability over Cable as Wireless Broadband has over Cable.

It's a double whammy for Cable companies. But imagine this HDTV's broadband signal can probably deliver reasonable broadband internet wirelessly as well. With that said that would allow broadcasters (like KGMB) to offer everything from HDTV to Internet AND VOIP.

Who's got the license to broadcast already? The TV stations. Who has to apply for them? Oceanic and Hawaiian Telecom in order to compete if the FCC allows HDTV broadcasters to utilize their broadband HDTV signals for Internet and VOIP applications.

This is why I think cable companies across the nation are fighting this FCC mandate. They will lose and all that infrastructure to string up cable across America (and Hawaii) will be for nothing when Broadband HDTV signals broadcast over the air can be utilized for internet use and any computer with a wifi card and an HDTV tuner can get TV programming just like cable right on their laptops while enjoying the green flash at Waikiki Beach and seeing themselves on the many web cams in the same spot.

This integration of HDTV and wireless internet will probably happen once this FCC mandate goes into effect and will change the way we watch TV and cruise the internet and TV stations will have the edge over the cable company once again because they don't need cable to deliver crisp tv pictures and they can increase their revenue by entering the ISP market like the cable and telephone industry did. HDTV licensed broadcasters will hold all the aces once this game is dealt.

Am I sorry for Oceanic? Heck no, they have no plans on servicing my area in Keaau on the Big Island anyway, am I shedding a tear for them? I'm laughing so hard that yes I am crying
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Sorry Auntie. No riot.

I just wanted to clarify Digital signal. Even my co-workers don't understand it (and we are in the business) so I got the impression from the message board that some might not understand it also.

I think that Oceanic cable pretty much is in control of whether or not the consumer (you and me) will want to spend more money on a better reception.

I think the losers in this digital conversion are the broadcasters and the fixed income consumers that won't be able to buy DT receivers for EACH tv in their homes once the analog transmitters turn off.

Comment

Originally posted by Inside Edition
        Sorry Auntie. No riot.

I just wanted to clarify Digital signal. Even my co-workers don't understand it (and we are in the business) so I got the impression from the message board that some might not understand it also.

I think that Oceanic cable pretty much is in control of whether or not the consumer (you and me) will want to spend more money on a better reception.

I think the losers in this digital conversion are the broadcasters and the fixed income consumers that won't be able to buy DT receivers for EACH tv in their homes once the analog transmitters turn off.
        Thank you Dear. Now, I understand. This would indeed affect me!

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
          Eh, I'm Bi-Polar! Write simple. Get to the point. Buy T.V. no buy T.V. ? What knid T.V.? Ssssh? Wat you like try start one RIOT?

Auntie Lynn
          <tee hee> I'm not bipolar, Auntie, and still can't figure out what kind of tv I should buy. So...for all of you techno-tv-geeks, I need your advice. I will be buying a new tv this year. I'm a one tv household. The condo assoc. fees include Oceanic cable. I'll probably be looking at a 32" or 42" flat screen that can hang on the wall. I want quality as I want it to last. What kind of tv do you suggest...regardless of price? I can always research the price and decide whether or not I can afford it. Buying a tv used to be so simple. Now...

Mahalo in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
            <tee hee> I'm not bipolar, Auntie, and still can't figure out what kind of tv I should buy. So...for all of you techno-tv-geeks, I need your advice. I will be buying a new tv this year. I'm a one tv household. The condo assoc. fees include Oceanic cable. I'll probably be looking at a 32" or 42" flat screen that can hang on the wall. I want quality as I want it to last. What kind of tv do you suggest...regardless of price? I can always research the price and decide whether or not I can afford it. Buying a tv used to be so simple. Now...

Mahalo in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

I'd wait for now. Here's the lowdown on large format TV's

Plasma TV: High cost, consumes gobs of electricity, generates lots of heat, typically lasts about five years. Pros: Best image from any angle for flat panel TV.

LCD TV: Ghosting (double images), fades in intensity after a few years. Pros: Cheaper than Plasma

Projection TV: Uses expensive projection bulbs that burn out after a couple thousand hours of use, viewable angle is limited to head on or just left or right of center. Pros: Cheaper than LCD and best bang for the buck.

DLP TV: Some say they see a rainbow halo effect because of the spinning color wheel, wheel will eventually burn out and stop spinning, Expensive. Pros: Cheaper than Plasma but still expensive.

CRT: Bulky, limited to less than 40-inches diagonal. Pros: Cheapest of them all and by far superior clarity well above that of Plasma

Right now the projection TV's whether they are CRT (older) or LCD (newer) seems to be the best buy right now with huge formats in both standard and High Definition up to 50+ inches at half the price of Plasma.

Problem is that you cannot hang a projection TV on the wall.

My view? My wife wanted to buy me a flat panel TV set for my birthday yesterday. I told her to wait for the emerging OLED technology to enter the big screen format.

OLED or Organic Light Emitting Diode screens have extremely bright and contrasting displays that need no backlighting and is supposed to have the same cost as an LCD tv of the same size. OLED screens can be viewed in direct sunlight with no noticable washout. The image is as if you were looking at a moving poster on a wall. Because there is no backlighting, blacks are as black as it gets. In other words colors seem to just pop out at you.

Right now OLED's are used in some cell phones. These have black backgrounds with bright colorful displays. Imagine that same level of contrast and sharpness on a 50-inch OLED flat panel TV screen.

You can expect to see large format OLED tv's appearing on your consumer shelves as early as two years (if not sooner) from now, well within the FCC's 2009 deadline.

I'm waiting, plus with the advent of OLED's I'm sure Plasma TV sets will drop in price the way the current CRTs and CRT projection TV sets have dropped in anticipation of the newer OLED's.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
              I'd wait for now. Here's the lowdown on large format TV's
              [...]
              You can expect to see large format OLED tv's appearing on your consumer shelves as early as two years (if not sooner) from now, well within the FCC's 2009 deadline.

I'm waiting, plus with the advent of OLED's I'm sure Plasma TV sets will drop in price the way the current CRTs and CRT projection TV sets have dropped in anticipation of the newer OLED's.
              Wow! Thanks for taking the time to list all of the choices, Craig. I really appreciate it. Due to a teeny-tiny condo and it's remodel this year, I will need a wall mount tv that's not bulky! The interior design does not include room for a free standing tv. And, my current table top tv is already spoken for so I won't want to wait for 2 years! But you've given me food for thought and maybe, in the meantime, I'll look for a used wall mount tv to carry me over...esp. since during at least half of the year the sun pours into my living room. Eventually getting a tv that won't be impacted my a bright living room will certainly be a plus.

Comment

808htfan,

KGMB had it's media server installed in May '05. KGMB did offer all of CBS's HD programming for about a month, but took the server down due to some monitoring problems and since only those watching OTA could see it won't return until a agreement with Oceanic can be reached.

Now to clear the air!

NOT TO OFFEND ANYONE...

BUT do most of you understand what Digital Broadcasting means? I am not sure why you would make an issue whether or not the stations are broadcasting in Digital or not. Unless you DON'T have cable (20% of the islands) than Digital Broadcasting wouldn't pertain to you. And when the broadcasters turn their ANALOG transmitter off in 2009, you can't take that TV to the beach to watch television unless by then you already spent more money on a tv that receives digital signals. Most people are on antenna because they can't afford Oceanic so now the FCC is making them buy a new TV.
                While this is about OTA stations moving from analog to digital broadcasting, due to terrain issue and transmitter locations in Hawaii, most peolpe MUST rely on receiving the digital versions from cable.
                Secondly, Cable/DBS penetration in Hawaii is 93%. That leaves only 7% of households that will need a digital tuner to continue to receive local channels once analog is shutdown.
                Also don't drink the kool-aid that those 7% that don't have cable/DBS are poor. There are quite a few people who are quite content with OTA and WON'T pay for cable/DBS.

If you have Oceanic, you can check out the stations in digital 88, 89, 85, 82, 87 (some others) and see the signal there. Yeah okay looks a little better than 8 (KHNL), 9 (KIKU), 5 (KFVE), 7 (KGMB), 4(kbfd), but not by a big difference.
                Those channels are NOT the Digital OTA channels being rebroadcast by Oceanic, they are simply the analog channels digitized by Oceanic. Which is why not big difference.

Ninja.. Just because KHET is getting a STL for their digital transmitter, this has nothing to do with Oceanic and a HD-DVR.
                The HD-DVR comment not only relates to Oceanic, there are also OTA capable HD-DVR's as well as ones from DBS. The point of the comment is that if "Nature" on PBS is being broadcast in HD 3 in the afternoon is not a time most people here can watch it.

Also, KGMB has been providing a HD signal to Oceanic.
                WRONG!

KIKU may be small, but think about it. KIKU only has 2 hours of UPN programming a day.
                Guess we won't have to worry about it now that it's been announced that UPN is shutting down.

Comment

NOT TO OFFEND ANYONE...
                  Oceanic uses freelancers that don't give a hoot about the show. It's not their production, it's just a paycheck.
                  Inside Edition better check his/her facts for this one as well....My understanding is that a majority of these freelancers work on national /international broadcasts that air from Hawaii for the simple fact that they are the best in the business, something that would not be possible if they did lackluster work...for ANY client. It's a small town, and freelancers who do crappy work will not get called back again for more jobs. Expectations are higher because there is a higher level of experience and competency required. These are people that have been in the TV business for a good number of years. And yes, there are KFVE folks who work some of these national shows too because of their skills.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja
                    808htfan,

KGMB had it's media server installed in May '05. KGMB did offer all of CBS's HD programming for about a month, but took the server down due to some monitoring problems and since only those watching OTA could see it won't return until a agreement with Oceanic can be reached.
                    Thanks Ninja, I was wondering about that. Kinda stinks for owners of OTA ATSC tuners hoping for CBS HD. Oh, well, no need for me to rush out and get one now...
                    I want Ed on Blu-ray/DVD

Comment

TUNNL.. as far as UH sports on KFVE goes.. Have you seen the quality of the production on Oceanic Sports? No matter if the signal is in HD, the quality of the picture doesn't matter, if the production value sucks. I really don't think you can compare the quality of the broadcast from KFVE to that of Oceanic. KFVE has a very well seasoned staff. Most of the senior people ther have been there for +15 years. Oceanic uses freelancers that don't give a hoot about the show. It's not their production, it's just a paycheck.
                      It’s obvious that Oceanic is CURRENTLY using cheapo DVCAM-type cameras for most of their OC-16 stuff. But hey, if they were willing to spend the $10 million plus it costs for an HD truck, what’s another $300,000 for the broadcast-quality HD cameras? As far as your assertion that they use “freelancers that don’t give a hoot,” I would respond by saying so does EVERY local station (including KFVE) nearly every time they need video from the outer islands. And aren’t OC-16’s talent Russell Shimooka and Dave Vinton former anchors for KGMB9? Who you calling freelancers?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                      USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

FYI, Oceanic's info on ch. 911 says they're adding KHNL to their HD package Feb. 1. That's great! Universal HD's also coming. Yahoo...
                        I want Ed on Blu-ray/DVD

Comment

i just got my HD DVR box from oceanic and I am pretty happy with it. i tried to get one before the superbowl, but i guess that they were in high demand and i had to get on a waiting list. anyways, the olympics look great in HD, and so did the NBA all-star game. currently, NBC in HD is on oceanic ch 208 as part of their olympic block. i think the channel will move to ch 938 when the olympics are done. hopefully we can get more soon!

since there are so few OTA HD options here in honolulu, and there doesn't seem to be many more in the near future, i'd say HD over cable/satellite is probably the only real option for the near future....
                          Last edited by p0id0g; February 19, 2006, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Quite honestly, unless your a sports fan, there is no reason to worry about receiving OTA digital in Honolulu.
                            If you are a sports fan, then it may be worth your trouble.
                            KGMB: NCAA basketball including March Madness, SEC football, NFL, US Open Tennis and select golf tournaments(Highlighted by the Masters).
                            KHON: NFL, MLB playoffs(MLB game of the week is SD Widescreen), Nascar and in '07 the BCS.

Comment

Originally posted by 808htfan
                              FYI, Oceanic's info on ch. 911 says they're adding KHNL to their HD package Feb. 1.
                              Well, so much for that! They were there for the Olympics, and now they're gone. What's happening here? Is KHNL asking for more $$$ like KGMB? Or is Oceanic at fault? Anyone know the details?

Thanks !
                              I want Ed on Blu-ray/DVD

Comment

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post7250195

Subject: Re: Help Desk
                                Date: March 4, 2006 10:54:38 PM HST
                                Reply-To: csrsupport@twchawaii.net

Aloha,

Thank you for your recent inquiry. We were unable to successfully
                                negotiate a contract with KHNL for carriage of the channel after the
                                Olympics. The neighbor islands should not be receiving the channel
                                either. It is an error that will be corrected as soon as
                                possible.
                                Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                                The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X