Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Playing at The Doris Duke Theater

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
    I share these invites to various events at the Doris Duke Theater because they're cool and I want you to go too. Enjoy life!
    I can live with the less than SOTA sound system. But until the Academy starts selling popcorn and refreshments (or allows patrons to bring in their own snacks) to enjoy during the movies, then watching a film at Doris Duke is a no-go for me.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Film: Papa Mau: The Wayfinder
      Showtimes:
      Tuesday Nov 13 01:00 PM
      Tuesday Nov 13 04:00 PM
      Tuesday Nov 13 07:30 PM

This documentary charts the journey of legendary navigator Mau Piailug in reviving the art of non-instrument navigation in Polynesia. When Mau agreed to navigate Hōkūle‘a on her maiden voyage to Tahiti using only his knowledge of the stars and the ocean, the union of navigator and canoe reawakened cultural pride and unity throughout Polynesia. Official Selection: Hawai‘i International Film Festival
      See the trailer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsZIEDqQRJo

I sure wanna see this! How 'bout you?

http://honolulumuseum.org/events/fil..._mau_wayfinder
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

My wife and I saw the 1pm showing and give it Five Stars! Wonderful movie.
        Go to the 7:30pm showing tonight if you can...

Comment

Don Tiki's 2nd Annual Hot Lava Holiday Show!
          Saturday Dec 15 7:30pm, actually the pre-show festivities start at 6pm!

About the Performance:

Don Tiki—Honolulu’s collaborative of stellar musicians, vocalists and dancers that reinvented the jungle jazzy sounds of exotica—brings big fun to the season with its 2nd Annual Hot Lava Holiday Show.

Last year’s sell-out show had the audience dancing and laughing in the aisles of the Doris Duke Theatre, with one band member tossing gifts into the sea of revelers. Now the group plans to top that memorable performance with new music and costumes.

The concert is the kick-off of Don Tiki’s first mini holiday tour—immediately following their Doris Duke Theatre appearance, Don Tiki will fly to the West Coast to bring some Hawaiian heat to two prestigious venues: Seattle’s Benaroya Hall on Dec. 17 and the Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles on Dec. 20. Honoluluans can brag that they saw the show first.

The Hot Lava Holiday Show also introduces two new players to the lineup—vocalists Charles Degala and Tei Tatafu, Jr., who played Dr. Frankenstein in the recent Manoa Valley Theatre hit Young Frankenstein.

The concerts are a tribute to the memory of Delmar deWilde (aka Fritz Hasenpusch), Don Tiki’s front man who passed away this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n99sZ...=results_video
          Don Tiki performing "Bwana Banana" live at the Doris Duke Theater, Honolulu Academy of Arts on December 17, 2011.

I just bought 4 tickets to this event! Heard it was a blast last year.
          Last edited by Menehune Man; November 21, 2012, 12:20 PM.

Comment

What a wonderful time!!! Great music and theatrics... one really lucky older fella in the front row. HaHa.

Here's a flickr set... met up with tutusue too! Good fun

Comment

What fun to see MM and Mrs. Menehune last night. MM was literally dancing in the aisle! I have a slightly different take on last nights show.

First of all the musicians are great and the exotica/tiki/Martin Denny style music is terrific. But...I'd seen the show several times prior to the recent death of frontman Fritz "Delmar DeWilde" Hassenpouch (sp?). I missed him, big time, last night. He was the yarn that knitted that group together. It just wasn't the same without him.

That said... those seeing Don Tiki for the first time won't have that experience. I think last nights performance might've been the groups first since Fritz's passing. The producers had to cast replacements then rehearse, rehearse, rehearse. The performance was dedicated to Fritz and his son, Arian, introduced the show in memory of his dad.

It was such a fun night but very bittersweet, too. The Delmar DeWilde character was one of a kind and irreplaceable.

Comment

Working...
              X