X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TV commericals you like to watch

Originally posted by Pomai
    [...]Anyways,
    How about the Hawaiian Water's Adventure park commercial? The girl riding TheBus. They shoot it as if she's caught on a bus surveillance camera. The girl is pretending like she's riding H.W.A.P.'s Big Kahuna water slide, yelling and raising hands in the air, roller coaster style. The passengers around her don't react at all, so the viewer knows she's actually just dreaming the experience. That was clever!
    That one and the dentist chair spot won Pele Awards. 'Props' to young director, Ryan Kawamoto, for those. Of course, in our business, 'props' means something entirely different than it does to the Gen Xers!

Comment

Re: Favorite Local TV Ads!

Originally posted by LikaNui
      My favorite is easily the anti-smoking one with all the kids, and the little girl at the end who says "Who wants to live 'til they're 40 anyway?"
      Lots of Pele Awards for that campaign. Well written...well directed. The kids were great. The casting session was filled with Art Linkletter moments! It was a riot! And, Ryan's right...it's difficult to direct kids. Ho! The bribes! Basically, tho', you hire more kids than you need, place them in various locations, start feeding them lines and hope, once in the edit, you can find enough magic moments to fill 30 seconds! In this case it worked!

Comment

Re: TV commericals you like to watch

Originally posted by tutusue
        That one and the dentist chair spot won Pele Awards.

I don't remember the dentist spot. Was that also for Hawaiian Waters Adventure Park?
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Indeed! I forgot about those. Loved 'em as well. I actually thought the Dentist spot was better than the Bus Rider one. There's no real reacting in the latter. In the former, the kid gets "caught" and freezes. There's just something believable about a kid going nuts with a dentist's water pik (and I love that he gets the "security" camera).

Comment

Saw a TV add last night for Hawaiian Telcom, that made me laugh out loud. It is a take off of the "mainlandish" road runner ad that takes place in a coffee shop and how a big straw is like Broadband cable and a small straw is like DSL.

The Telcom ad is a local spot with a local waitress doing the same thing, but says, the big straw is like your cable modem, but you'll have to share it with everyone else, and then they cut to a wide shot and there are three people at the counter, one looks really sick, coughing and hacking. The other person doesn't look like someone you would "share your straw" with. The waitress then says, stick with your own straw.

Very clever, it made me laugh.

DXer

Comment

That is great. I love that DSL providers - locally and overall - are finally stepping up to the fight with cable companies. Cable internet ads are overly simplistic and questionably accurate ("Look at this big fat coaxial cable! Of course it's faster than this skinny phone cable!")... DSL providers are finally fighting fire with fire. If the Hawaiian Telecom ad is a locally-produced answer to the huge, Time Warner cable campaign, then more power to 'em!

Comment

Originally posted by DXer
                Saw a TV add last night for Hawaiian Telcom, that made me laugh out loud. It is a take off of the "mainlandish" road runner ad that takes place in a coffee shop and how a big straw is like Broadband cable and a small straw is like DSL.

The Telcom ad is a local spot with a local waitress doing the same thing, but says, the big straw is like your cable modem, but you'll have to share it with everyone else, and then they cut to a wide shot and there are three people at the counter, one looks really sick, coughing and hacking. The other person doesn't look like someone you would "share your straw" with. The waitress then says, stick with your own straw.

Very clever, it made me laugh.

DXer
                I saw that one tonight. At first I thought it was the same RR, just local style. Then I saw that it was Hawaiian Telecom. Good for them. tit for tat.
                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I just saw that about 1/2 hour ago. ROFLMAO!!!! I thought it was great too!!!!! More commercials lil' dat!

Auntie Lynn
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

That charitable help ad -- Aloha United Way? -- is which people carrying bundles of light pass them on to the needy, and the light is transformed into something concrete, like a simple bowl of soup that gives the person another chance ... terrific concept.

Comment

Good call. Very effective. When the light arrives in the empty room with the kids? Heartstrings! Probably low budget, but didn't feel like it.

Comment

I like those ads, with the light being given from one person to another. But it also kind of depresses me that some kid parked in front of a television set in a shoddy apartment has to depend on a fantasy ball of light (OK, charitable contribution) because whoever brought him into this world isn't there to help him ... isn't in the room, isn't in the picture, isn't in his life. Otherwise, maybe he wouldn't be sitting in front of the TV set in that depressing apartment.

OK, guess I'll go write another check and wait for the red squares ...

Comment

Except that's the point, isn't it? Not all kids have what they should. Charities step in to help. Lots of charity efforts can be traced back to the failings of our fellow humans. But we're all human.

More importantly, I think presenting such scenarios in a short spot can be a minefield (recall R.J. Reynolds trying to "recreate" a refugee camp to highlight their charitable giving) - it could have felt exploitive or downright cheesy - and the local agency got it just right.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                            Good call. Very effective. When the light arrives in the empty room with the kids? Heartstrings! Probably low budget, but didn't feel like it.
                            Personally, I feel the Aloha United Way ads are consistently good every year. I can't remember if the AUW campaigns are pro bono across the board but, if not, crew and talent are hired at greatly reduced rates. A different ad agency and director take on the account each year; then the cycle repeats itself. I'm remembering (perhaps not accurately!) that their efforts are pro bono.

I agree...this year's campaign really tugs at the heartstrings.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                              That is great. I love that DSL providers - locally and overall - are finally stepping up to the fight with cable companies. Cable internet ads are overly simplistic and questionably accurate ("Look at this big fat coaxial cable! Of course it's faster than this skinny phone cable!")... DSL providers are finally fighting fire with fire. If the Hawaiian Telecom ad is a locally-produced answer to the huge, Time Warner cable campaign, then more power to 'em!
                              It is. I'm sure the ad agency and the director will be happy with all of the positive comments!

Comment

ANNA MILLERS new commercial jingle at first had me grinding my teeth.. thinking, "what the hell is this cr@p?"

But now I can't help but sing along with it.. it actually caught on!

Now I get a kick singing along (loudly) everytime it comes on.. drives my girlfriend nuts. lol

The production of the spot isn't great nor poor.. just the average local-style commercial. But it does do a perfect job at showcasing the business as a family establishment.

Friends have told me their food and service is excellent... and a few waitresses aren't so bad to look at either.

Next time we're in the area we'll check it out.

Speaking of local jingles that you like to sing along with, that could become an entire thread in itself.
                                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                                X