Lucky Luck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lucky Luck

Please share your memories of Robert Melvin "Lucky" Luck on Hawaii TV.

He was before my time, but I know he had a show on KHVH-TV called "Lucky's Luau". I also heard he was the spokesperson for Leonard's Bakery, with a famous line of something like, "Look at the Pan Dulce!" as he split a loaf of Portuguese Sweet Bread in half.

Didn't he also have some appearances on Hawaii 5-0? What other TV appearances did he do?

As discussed in another thread here, he also owned a bar in Hawaii Kai before Henry J. Kaiser dredged the marina called "Okole Maluna", which sat where Koko Marina Foodland now is.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Lucky Luck

Robert Luck 1918 - 1977 was originally from texas. we covered him some in previous threads.

here is the shortlist.

"Hawaii Five-O"
    - McGarrett Is Missing (1975) TV Episode .... Mr. Langer
    - Anybody Can Build a Bomb (1973) TV Episode .... First Mover
    - Paniolo (1970) TV Episode .... Harry Pawai
    - The Last Eden (1970) TV Episode
    - Pray Love Remember, Pray Love Remember (1969) TV Episode .... Stanley
    (1 more)
    "McCloud"
    - A Cowboy in Paradise (1974) TV Episode .... Bill Wrigley

Kona Coast (1968) (as Lucky Luck) .... Kunewa
    Blue Hawaii (1961) (uncredited) .... Extra coming off da plane, talking with Hilo hatie
    The Devil at 4 O'Clock (1961) (uncredited) .... Captain Olsen
    Big Jim McLaine

Comment

I kinda remember him. Did he kinda look like Larry Price... dark hair and mediterranean/portuguese features?

Comment

dass heem!

mo open eyes, but

Comment

Someone told me he's in the opening scene alongside Hilo Hattie in the movie "Blue Hawaii" with Elvis Presley.

He also did TV commercials for Lucky Strike cigarettes and Lucky Lager beer. They say that whenever he did commercial takes, it was never scripted - strictly adlib. Did he ever do a commercial for Primo beer? I'd think he would have, being that his first job in Hawaii was as a delivery driver for Primo.

As for being from Texas, another source says he's originally from St. Louis, Missouri. Funny though, being a master of pidgin English, you'd swear he was an old school pure Hawaiian man from Waimanalo or Waianae. This past Christmas, KHUI aired a skit by him called Kanaka Christmas which is a testament to this.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I remember the commercial he did for...I think was S&S Instant Saimin...where he boiled the water in his Army helmet then put the saimin in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
              [...]He also did TV commercials for Lucky Strike cigarettes and Lucky Lager beer. [...] Did he ever do a commercial for Primo beer[...]
              Without going into great, boring detail, this *may* not have been possible due to Screen Actors Guild rules involving competing products and exclusivity. Lots of factors involved, hence the "*may*"!

Comment

When I was in 4th grade at Ala Wai Elementary School back in 1958-59, I was on the Lucky Luck Show for National Brotherhood Week. A representativew from the show came to our school to pick out kids to represent different nationalities. Since I was very blonde, I was picked to represent a Dutch girl (even though I am not Dutch...). They gave me a cute little Dutch costume. I went to the TV studio with my classmates who represented other nationalities. Lucky Luck did the bread commercial (live) splitting a big loaf of Portuguese sweet bread in half and saying something like "mmm...smells so good.." (and it did). Then he went around to all us kids and asked us questions. He asked me if I had ever heard of Hans Brinker and I said "yes, he plugged the hole in the dike." I remember him as very friendly, very jolly, and very large. Later I made my mother buy some of that bread!

Comment

Lucky's grandson, Gabe, runs a food "cube" at UH Manoa, near the Art Building - with his wife.

I posted a thing on "memories" earlier this evening about how Lucky - a.m. DJ playing Hawaiian music on KHVH radio in 1965 - got bumped by a new station owner who chose to switch to an (almost) all-news format - knocking Hawaiian music off the air on MAY 1/LEI DAY in Hawai`i.

Comment

Lucky Luck story:

http://www.staradvertiser.com/featur...l?id=158344385

Comment

That link is now a "pay" or subscription article.
                      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Working...
                      X