Superstitions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Superstitions

My roomate has a tendecy of whistling at nite when music to his liking is heard on the radio or watching a movie/tv show at home. A store manager that I used to work w/ in Pearlridge would ask you NOT to do that saying that you are calling hawaiian spitirts.

Comment

My mother 'inherited' a bunch of Irish superstitions from her mother:

Don't give pearls as a gift to a loved one as pearls are tears and you'll bring sorrow into their life

Likewise, don't give a gift of anything sharp as it will puncture your friendship - if you do give a gift with a point, make the receiver give you a penny - thus 'buying' the gift

If you give someone a wallet or purse as a gift, put a dollar in it when you give it - thus ensuring it will always have money in it.

make three wishes when you enter a new church for the first time.
      "The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."
      Socrates.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob P View Post
        My mother 'inherited' a bunch of Irish superstitions from her mother:

Don't give pearls as a gift to a loved one as pearls are tears and you'll bring sorrow into their life

Likewise, don't give a gift of anything sharp as it will puncture your friendship - if you do give a gift with a point, make the receiver give you a penny - thus 'buying' the gift

If you give someone a wallet or purse as a gift, put a dollar in it when you give it - thus ensuring it will always have money in it.

make three wishes when you enter a new church for the first time.
        Having a half Irish mother, I grew up with every one of these.
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
        X