Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Next Food Network Star: Season 2

Originally posted by scrivener
    I have heard of him, but don't remember seeing him in action. One of the things I hear is that he has a completely wrong-for-television persona -- that he's kinda surly.

I didn't watch any of the first season, but does anyone know if it had appearances by Food Network personalities, as this one does? That's one of my favorite parts of this. Did you see Morimoto and that cucumber? Way cool. Also, I just love me some Sandra Lee...yum!
    Santos is way cute! He's got that Asian look (I think he may be part Chinese) and he wanders onstage periodically when Emeril screws up.

Yes, some of the foodie stars were on last season, too. One particularly memorable episode was when Paula Deen was coaching the contestants. Gordon Elliott was on last season, too, I'm trying to remember if Emeril was another guest...

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Websites for some of the contestants.

Jess Dang.
      Evette Rodriguez.
      Nathan Lyon.
      Carissa Seward.
      Andy Schumacher.

And my favorite of all the pictures from the contestants' pages. Isn't Jess the cutest thang you ever seen? You can just hear them all purring, "First the drinks, then you, scrivener..."
      Last edited by scrivener; March 28, 2006, 06:46 PM. Reason: "and admit that the waters around you have grown..."
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I predict Guy Fieri is going to take it this year. You can tell the judges are most impressed with him - especially Bob Tuschman, Food Network's director of programming. Guy's on-camera energy, wit, cooking speed and experience as a restauranteur are a big advantage.

My next pick would be Andy Shumacher. None of the remaining gals impress me.
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

It's interesting how the personalities settle down a little as the show goes on. I was extremely unimpressed and irritated by Reggie in the first two shows, but I've really enjoyed him in these last two shows, and his stuff looks really good. Also, I'm fairly impressed with his teaching.

I thought Andy was the blandest, most boring contestant, but after four shows, he's really coming out to me as someone whom I could watch every weekend. I'm serious.

Guy continues to amaze me, too.

If Carissa survives another show, it will be because the judges don't want to get rid of all the women first.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

for those who know who alton brown is, you can be sure that next week's episode (with alton as a guest visitor) will be interesting. for those who don't know who he is, i'll just say that he's a very entertaining guy and he can make a peanut butter sandwich interesting! his show--good eats--is very popular and he consistently does a good job of educating his audience. you can find more (as a start) at these links:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/alto...670865,00.html

http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/GEFP/index.htm
            525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
              It's interesting how the personalities settle down a little as the show goes on. I was extremely unimpressed and irritated by Reggie in the first two shows, but I've really enjoyed him in these last two shows, and his stuff looks really good. Also, I'm fairly impressed with his teaching.

I thought Andy was the blandest, most boring contestant, but after four shows, he's really coming out to me as someone whom I could watch every weekend. I'm serious.

Guy continues to amaze me, too.

If Carissa survives another show, it will be because the judges don't want to get rid of all the women first.
              I think next week either Carissa or Nate will get the boot. I don't like either Nate or Carissa's attitude. Both have professional culinary training and both are divas. Food Network doesn't need any more Bobby Flays!

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I thought it was funny when Nate blew it and then said in the green room, "The only way I'm not going home is if *&^% Sofrita *&&^s up!" Up until then, they'd all behaved as if they love each other to death. I liked Beth's attitude when she was asked to leave: Maybe this really isn't for me. I didn't like Evette's: If anyone should be a Food Network Star, it's me!

I really wish Jess Dang were still on the show. At least there's one more week to see Carissa in her bathing suit.
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I dunno about Carissa. In next week's preview, it showed her trying to frost a cupcake and her hands were really shaky (like she could barely pipe a rosette on top of the cupcake)! Looks like she might choke on next week's episode. I'd love to see Nate blow up again and then get booted off the show. I think Alton will put both of them in their place. Alton's soooo cool.

Miulang

Comment

And the loser is...Andy. I was almost sure it was going to be Reggie this time, despite what I said last week. Nobody really screwed up this time, but Reggie was the most boring. I was really, really surprised by Carissa's great turn in that last challenge; she showed more personality in that one-minute field-shoot than in the last four shows combined.

So we're down to Reggie, Nate, Guy, and Carissa. Who's leaving next? I'm guessing Reggie.
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Reggie, Carissa and Nate should just pack it up and give Guy his show already. Guy just has that "it" factor. His field segment with the Sushi was brilliant, showcasing his culinary diversity and concept. Once again his experience as a restauranteur of three establishments provided a solid foundation for his delivery.

Reggie kinda' blew it in the field segment. He appeared to have no clue what his culinary concept was in relation to the food he was shopping for. He even made frosting a cupcake look difficult. I too was a bit surprised they chose him over Andy.

It was interesting when Alton Brown told Carissa to lose the whole "French" and "sexy" concept. That threw her a major left curve.

On a physical note, Nate reminds me of Jim Carrey's character "The Mask". Especially when he give that big pearly smile. Paint him green and he'd look just like 'em.

There's a casual poll being taken at TFN's website, which looks spot on.
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Guy was unbelievable in that cupcake challenge -- his stuff was mind-blowingly creative AND he just thrived in front of that live audience. Carissa was pretty bad in the live shoot, but she REALLY had it together in the field. And Alton Brown was right; she was sexier in that awful hooded jacket than in that cocktail dress. She's a very attractive woman, but what made her sexy was not trying to be sexy; it was being herself as she talked about something she loved and knew a lot about. I loved how she kept emphasizing that the wine store should not be intimidating, and she really communicated well: "Beaujolais? That's just a region! And pinot noir? That's just a grape!"

I was extremly unimpressed with her in the first four shows, but she really looked like she got it together in this last one. Honestly, I think I'd watch a show hosted by any of these last four.
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

This last episode was the first time I actually liked Carissa. She did a great job on the pitch and the TV segment. I was quite surprised. I was even more surprised that they dumped Andy and kept Reggie. The one thing they did say was something along the lines of 'we have to look at who has potential to improve' so I guess that means they dismissed the possibility that Andy's personality could ever suit television.

Comment

I still don't like Carissa. I think she's a diva. First of all, in her outside the kitchen segment, what type of clothes did she first come onto the set wearing? this low cut in the front red top. I honestly think Alton was embarassed for her. If her "concept" was to sell sex, that would have been fine. But she's got to get it out of her head that everyone will watch her just because she's attractive (I don't find her especially attractive). And how many American cooks are going to cook French these days, anyway? It's all about "other" types of ethnic food or plain old mongerel American cuisine for the majority of people (as long as it's quick and cheap and tastes good). Tyler did a series on taking French recipes and twisting them into dishes ordinary Americans would find palatable, but I'm not sure Carissa has the smarts to be that creative.

More than likely, Reggie will get dumped next time, leaving the 2 divas and Guy. If those are my choices, then I'd have to vote for Guy, although he's a little too over the top for me and I doubt I would watch his show (just like I don't watch last year's winners' show "Party Line with the Hearty Boys"). I think Reggie is at a disadvantage because his experience is in baking, whereas the other 3 have experience in cooking.

Miulang

Comment

On the other hand, maybe Reggie has the advantage, specializing in baking. A baking show on the Food Network might be kinda cool.

Set those VCRs for Sunday, everyone. TVFN is showing two episodes, meaning that by the end of the weekend, we'll be down to our final two!
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

personally, i probably won't watch whoever wins this competition. what i like about the show primarily is the process they're going through and a behind-the-curtains look at the business of cooking shows. i find that very interesting....
                                525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Working...
                                X