The Next Food Network Star: Season 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Next Food Network Star: Season 2

I pretty much agree with everyone here so far. Reggie's a goner, Nathan and Carissa are too obnoxious for my taste, and Guy will surely win this thing. I don't think I'll watch the eventual winner's show. Overall, I'm pretty disappointed in this show, even though it's somewhat entertaining and gives me fodder for my Food Network blog. I think this show could be wildly entertaining with better contestants, higher production values, and more interesting challenges.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
      On the other hand, maybe Reggie has the advantage, specializing in baking. A baking show on the Food Network might be kinda cool.
      Yeah, I LOVE Gale Gand's "Sweet Dreams" show, but it's on at very weird times so I rarely get to watch it. That ex-lawyer turned pastry chef show is interesting sometimes, but he doesn't do very much of his own baking (kinda more like interviewing other pastry chefs) so it's not very useful. Another baking show like Gale Gand's would be good. I used to like watching Jacques Torre do his chocolate magic too...his stuff was too complicated to make, but man, did they look tasty!

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Whee! By some amazing stroke of luck, BOTH the divas (Nate and Carissa) got eliminated last night, which leaves Reggie and Guy as the finalists for the next Food Network TV star. You have until April 20 to cast your vote (it's kinda cheating, but you can register an online AND a cellphone vote and have both count).

I'm cooking that balsamic chicken dish that Reggie was demonstrating in his pilot, so if it turns out good, I'll cast my vote for him.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Nate and Carissa's biggest obstacle - besides being overly hung up on themselves - was time management. Especially Nate. He kept preparing dishes that were way more complex than he tried to portray to the viewer; in most tapings never finishing the dish.

Perhaps Nate will have a career as a stunt double for Jim Carrey and Carissa will have a show called "Sexy French Cuisine" on E or the Playboy channel.

Reggie's whole "cute, sassy, girl" approach would do best with a co-host (preferably female) in front of a small, interactive studio audience. His largest demographic would likely be female Gen X'ers and Baby Boomers. I'm still unclear what his culinary concept is about. Is it baking or is it a modern take on classic southern? So far his presentation has been way more "L.A." which is actually where he currently resides.

Guy's testosterone-driven personality would probably appeal to a mixed gender audience of Gen' X'er & Y's. I don't particularly like the title "Off the Hook" though. He needs to put more thought into that. But as a whole I like his "Cali-Eurasian" sports bar/fast food concept. At least that would be something different than anything currently being offered on TFN.

I already cast my vote for the day.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I was intrigued by Guy's take on a sushi roll that used Vietnamese rice sheets instead of nori. Now THAT's creative. Reggie was getting a little too nervous in his final cookoff segment (hence the "girlfriend" and overuse of the word "sassy" which makes my teeth grind ).

BTW: that chicken glazed with balsamic vinegar and olive oil (I also added some Italian herbs to the marinade) turned out fabulously. Served it over a bed of couscous with steamed green beans on the side.

Miulang
            Last edited by Miulang; April 17, 2006, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Reggie has grown on me. Even when he's been off lately, he's been good to watch. Guy is still much more interesting to watch, though. I think I'm voting for Guy.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

although nate might be a nice guy, he always struck me as having a lot of hostility under that beaming smile so i wasn't disappointed when he was asked to leave.

guy's demo with the food/tv guide folks went very well. reggie is definitely personable though i usually get the feeling that he's sweating bullets!
                525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

As expected, Guy won.

IMO that was a rather boring, anticlimactic final episode. They should have called the winner at the end of the first half. Then use the second half to dedicate to Guy's personal life and progress leading up to/and bathing in the win. Showcasing equal time to the eventual loser only brought more sense of pity for Reggie. The final supper with the former contestants should have been held after the winner was called. You could tell there was a sense of tension like, "Who do you think's going to win this?".

Guy has already suggested heavy metal music and drag racing videos on his new set. He'll certainly narrow his audience with that "MTV" concept.

Here's an idea for Guy's new show...

Instead of taping on some gimmicky set in New York, perhaps they should do a reality-based series of him working in his restaurant(s). His businesses will get "free" plugs with him on the air anyway, so might as well take full advantage of the circumstance. That would also showcase his commitment to his business and his growing family - hopefully winning some of the conservative audience.

Lose the "Off the Hook" title, and call it something like The Extreme Restauranteur with Guy Fieri. Start each episode with Guy (energetically) coaching his restaurant staff. Then perhaps a few shots of patrons enjoying their meals. Then have Guy prepare several signature dishes live in his restaurant kitchen while in full swing during business hours. Perhaps a few heckles exchanged between him and his staff.

That would certainly be more interesting to watch than another concocted FN studio production.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I still don't think I'll watch his show when it debuts in June. He's a little too "edgy" and "off the hook" for me although I was intruigued by that sushi roll... Even if Guy bombs on TV, I'm sure his 3 restaurants will be wildly successful after his stint on FN. Apparently, appearing on FN has already changed Reggie's style at the place he works too, so I'm sure he'll do just fine.

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                      As expected, Guy won.
                      I only watched the show sporadically, but you're right - I could have told you Guy would win WEEKS ago.

The final supper with the former contestants should have been held after the winner was called. You could tell there was a sense of tension like, "Who do you think's going to win this?".
                      Well, that is the point of reality TV... to convey a sense of tension.

Lose the "Off the Hook" title, and call it something like The Extreme Restauranteur with Guy Fieri. Start each episode with Guy (energetically) coaching his restaurant staff. Then perhaps a few shots of patrons enjoying their meals. Then have Guy prepare several signature dishes live in his restaurant kitchen while in full swing during business hours. Perhaps a few heckles exchanged between him and his staff.
                      That would certainly be more interesting to watch than another concocted FN studio production.
                      Sorry Pomai... I disagree. There's nothing "extreme" about that idea, and it's sooooo not Guy's style. If FN is trying to broaden their appeal, they need to go after a different demo than the over-50 crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                        I disagree. There's nothing "extreme" about that idea, and it's sooooo not Guy's style. If FN is trying to broaden their appeal, they need to go after a different demo than the over-50 crowd.
                        O.K. How about this concept...

Title it FEEDBACK! with GUY FIERI (Get it.. "feed" "food" "guitar feedback"). Guy would go behind the scenes of a major (rock) concert or (motor) sports competition and interview the band members and/or athletes (drivers/riders) about eating on tour and at home. Then he would go back to his restaurant or studio and prepare dishes that he felt would entice his featured guests; preferably with them on the set cooking with him. I can just hear his intro's music byte: a screamin' Hendrix-style lick or riff with some whalin' feedback.

High hopes, I know. FN probably aren't willing to expend that much logistical and financial resources booking interviews with busy, high-ticket celebs for a risky, off-the-ground show. But hey, many successful endeavors began on a risk.

Rachael Ray had a similar FN show called Inside Dish, but she never did cook on it, and her interviews often strayed on topics not related to food.
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

O.K. How about this concept...

Title it FEEDBACK! with GUY FIERI (Get it.. "feed" "food" "guitar feedback"). Guy would go behind the scenes of a major (rock) concert or (motor) sports competition and interview the band members and/or athletes (drivers/riders) about eating on tour and at home. Then he would go back to his restaurant or studio and prepare dishes that he felt would entice his featured guests; preferably with them on the set cooking with him. I can just hear his intro's music byte: a screamin' Hendrix-style lick or riff with some whalin' feedback.

High hopes, I know. FN probably aren't willing to expend that much logistical and financial resources booking interviews with busy, high-ticket celebs for a risky, off-the-ground show. But hey, many successful endeavors began on a risk.

Rachael Ray had a similar FN show called Inside Dish, but she never did cook on it, and her interviews often strayed on topics not related to food.
                          I dunno if you guys in Hawai'i ever got to see the series with Dweezil Zappa and Lisa Loeb (then sweeties, but no more). They kinda did the X-gen thing and actually did some cooking, touring, talking to other celebs etc. It didn't last very long though. I think the demographics of the FN is gonna be skewed: it's either gonna be serious foodies who like off-the-wall shows like Alain Bourdain or Alton Brown, or the Mrs. in the kitchen in middle America who's trying to figure out how to make mac and cheese seem a little more "upscale" than what comes out of that blue box. True yupsters probably like Rachel's "Dining on $40 a Day" because it combines travel and eating in restaurants.

Giada's behind the scenes of the big bashes sometimes can be fun, too. The Naked Chef was supposed to appeal to the younger generation, too.

Miulang

Comment

FEEDBACK! with GUY FIERI
                            Better... sounds like it might work.

Comment

So how much do you think that 6-episode contract for Guy Fieri is worth?

Emeril himself asked the general in yellow (FN president) for a peek, so it must have been something significantly valuable.

$250,000? More? Less? Dunno.
                              Last edited by Pomai; April 28, 2006, 11:32 AM.
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

So how much do you think that 6-episode contract for Guy Fieri is worth?

Emeril himself asked the general in yellow (FN president) for a peek, so it must have been something significantly valuable.

$250,000? More? Less? Dunno.
                                Since he already owns 3 restaurants, the contract could have been for $10 and he STILL would have come out ahead, just in the free publicity for his restaurants. But he's probably getting about $40-60k per episode, + residuals.

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                                X