This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's for lunch - Chapter 8

Zipped into town to stop in at the office, and thanks to yet another glowing recommendation from our own glossyp, decided to finally check out Nico's at Pier 38 for lunch.

Kilinahe had the furikake pan-seared ahi (rare) with ginger garlic cilantro dip. When I told the cashier I was a Nico's virgin, she insisted I go with the catch of the day -- pan seared fresh marlin with green peppercorn sauce. Very, very good. A balance of flavors that let the fish shine, well prepared and not overdone in cooking, seasoning, or presentation. We wanted to try so many more things on that menu (from a fried calimari salad to a loco moco)! We'll definitely have to go back soon.

Edit:

Had the Chicken Katsu/Hamburger Steak combo with a large cup of Mountain Dew at Nico's at Pier 38.
    Wha? Aw, Helen! Sorry we missed each other! Or, at least, we missed you! 'Twas a last minute thing, but like I said, we'll be back. No doubt another HawaiiThreads.com lunch is on the horizon.
    Last edited by pzarquon; May 31, 2006, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Tortilla soup at San Francisco Salad Co.

The pictures from Nico's almost makes me hungry again

Comment

Would all of you consider telling how much those delicious meals cost? The pictures are killing me!
        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Turkey sandwich, mini-bento and a bottle of water.

Comment

Found ourselves near the Waipio Costco 'round 1:30 p.m., so we went with the $1.50 hot dog and 20 oz. drink combo there. Onlons, relish, ketchup, plus sauerkraut for the wife.

And Susie, for Nico's, the menu is online.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
              Found ourselves near the Waipio Costco 'round 1:30 p.m., so we went with the $1.50 hot dog and 20 oz. drink combo there. Onlons, relish, ketchup, plus sauerkraut for the wife.

And Susie, for Nico's, the menu is online.
              Thanks. I hope that drooling onto my computer doesn't make it go all wonky.
              http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
              http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Personal pan pizza from Big Kahuna on Puuloa Rd. My first time there and it was pretty good. Next time I'll get more toppings as the crust can certainly support it. I will not reveal the toppings I had as it might make pzarquon ill! The sandwiches looked awesome. They were huge and the people who were eating them looked very happy. The place must do huge business in take-out. We saw what must have been 50+ pies being picked up during the short time we were there.

Comment

Ultimate cheeseburger, curly fries and Diet Coke from Jack-in-the-Box.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp
                    Personal pan pizza from Big Kahuna on Puuloa Rd. My first time there and it was pretty good. Next time I'll get more toppings as the crust can certainly support it. I will not reveal the toppings I had as it might make pzarquon ill! The sandwiches looked awesome. They were huge and the people who were eating them looked very happy. The place must do huge business in take-out. We saw what must have been 50+ pies being picked up during the short time we were there.
                    have you tried their garlic cheese balls?? yumm!

Comment

• Boots and Kimo's in Kailua

Kilinahe and I (and our littlest one) found ourselves in Kailua, so we decided to finally try Boots and Kimo's on Hekili St. The place has a reputation for pancakes (specifically its macadamia sauce), and long waits. Fortunately, it wasn't too busy, so we only needed to stand outside, hungry, for about 10 minutes. And about fifteen minutes after we were seated? There were two open tables inside... unheard of!

Anyway, even though it was lunch we were in the mood for breakfast (which they serve all day). I had their daily special, a kal bi breakfast plate. Kal bi and hash browns and eggs on the same plate! Kilinahe, of course, went with their signature dish, a full stack of pancakes with the macadamia sauce. All told, 'twas all de-licious! We'll definitely have to go back!

Comment

• Re: What's for lunch - Chapter 8

Originally posted by CranBeree
                        have you tried their garlic cheese balls?? yumm!
                        That's what the table next to ours was eating! It looked like pull-apart rolls topped with lots of gooey cheese and bits of garlic. I'll have to try them next time.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp
                          Personal pan pizza from Big Kahuna on Puuloa Rd.
                          My school is in the area, and we get takeout from Big Kahuna a few times a year. The toppings are always surprisingly fresh-tasting, and yes, get those garlic cheese-bread thingies. I recommend anything with lots of veggies and I really like their goat-cheese pizza.
                          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Omigosh pz, the food p0rn kills me! (Don't stop )

One of the FEW downsides of working from home in Kaneohe is being so far away from great town-side lunch venues like Nicos. I've been there ... three times (?) and have been impressed every time. Now you too can see why.

I know there are great places to eat on this side, too, but I usually eat lunch at home ... at my desk, often reading HT.

It's really embarrassing to say, but after all my years on the WW side, I've never been to Boots & Kimo's. A travesty, except in my own defense I rarely have the budget to take myself and 4 kids out to eat. The lines are also a little off-putting ... but the 10 minute wait you cited doesn't seem bad at all.

Mitch D'Olier, pres./CEO of Kaneohe Ranch, says if you get there at about 7a you beat the rush. Oops, was that out loud?

re: Big Kahuna's ... a co-worker went to pick up Big Kahuna's a couple times (we'd all chip in) for pizza and those cheesy garlic bread things ... REALLY good. Not exactly diet fare.
                            Last edited by Erika Engle; June 3, 2006, 09:13 AM. Reason: Added Big Kahuna's comment
                            I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
                              I've never been to Boots & Kimo's. A travesty, except in my own defense I rarely have the budget to take myself and 4 kids out to eat. The lines are also a little off-putting ... but the 10 minute wait you cited doesn't seem bad at all.
                              Mitch D'Olier, pres./CEO of Kaneohe Ranch, says if you get there at about 7a you beat the rush. Oops, was that out loud?
                              Mitch is right. And Erika, you must go there, if only for the banana pancakes with the macadamia nut sauce. Incredibly good!
                              Nothing else on their menu comes close.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

i loooveee boots & kimo's. banana pancakes with macnut sauce..yummm.

erika, how old are the kids? i was thinking if they were young enough they could share. me and the hubby share the pancakes and whatever we order with our 5 yr old...on the other hand when i take my oldest (12) and nieces out to to eat and they all want to order t-bone steaks... i took them to denny's once and said they could order whatever they wanted ..my breakfast tab turned out to be 80.00 for 4 kids and 1 adult...i don't think i'll do that again!

Comment

Working...
                                X