This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What's for lunch - Chapter 8

BLTs w/cheese and shrimp cocktail (the one on sale with coupon -$3 off the reg. $9.99 price! -- from Costco).

Also, FYI, Costco has Shrimp Chips on special, BOGO-free! (I think it was $2.95). I didn't have the coupon for it, but the cashier had a sheet of them at the register, so he scanned it for me and I got the deal.

Gotta love that!
    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Vanilla Herbalife shake and a multivitamin.

Comment

I can't remember the name of that bowl from KFC that has mashed potatoes, corn, chicken and cheese in it. Not bad. Also had cole slaw, a piece of chicken and a cup of Mountain Dew.

Comment

Originally posted by kaneohegirl
          heck I do! send um to my email or Pm it to me
          Ah...now I understand!

chicken pie

After roasting a chicken you can make soup from the bones and leftovers, and then use the broth for the soup, and the little bits of chicken for the pie. Or just go straight to pie, from the roast. When the kids were little, I could make one chicken last for three meals...roast, soup, and then pie. Nowadays, I tend to roast more than one chicken at a time.

Anyways...take the chicken meat, and cut it up into little chunks. Add as much of frozen peas (still frozen is ok), cut carrots into little chunks and par-boil them in the chicken broth, or in water with a chicken stock cube added, and then save this liquid. Cut up some celery, too, and add it along with a handful of chopped parsley. If you like, now is the time to get creative...throw in a can of artichoke hearts or some mushrooms.

Make a thick white sauce. Melt some butter in a pan, along with a chopped onion, a spoonful of mustard, tabasco, and salt and pepper or a chicken stock cube. When the butter has melted, put in a big spoonful or two of flour, and stir this around. Cook it a bit, so it doesn't keep the raw flour taste, and then slowly add the saved liquid from the carrots, stirring and stirring and stirring, all the while, to keep it from sticking and burning. It's difficult to say how much liquid....but remember that it thickns a bit, as it cooks. Once it comes to a boil, dump it into the chicken and vegetables, and stir it to mix...try NOT to eat it all, at this point.

For the crust, you can do it by hand, which is better and lighter and flakier, or you can do it in a cuisinart, which is faster and cleaner and you don't get it under your fingernails, but not as good tasting. You could also buy ready-made crust, but it is not the same thing, at all.

Mix a pound of flour with a teaspoon of baking of baking powder and a half teaspoon of salt. Cut up half a pound of chilled butter into little cubes, and mix it into the flour. Rub this together between your fingers, while lifting and letting the mixture fall back into the bowl, til it's gone into flakes, with no butter lumps left. Now mix together two egg yolks with about a cup of cream or canned milk, and drizzle it, spoonful by spoonful, onto the flour, a little at a time, tossing it with a big fork (or your hands). Don't stir it, or mix it together, but just keep tossing and adding the cream, til you get mostly balls of dough, and most of the flour has absorbed the liquid.

You don't want it too wet, or it'll be tough. Or too dry, or it'll crumble. Don't be scared, it just takes practice...the results are edible, no matter what.

When it all mostly hold together, gather it up and knead it a time of two, then form it (not too tightly) into a roll, and cut into rounds..try for two or three. flatten the rounds with the side of your hand two or three whacks, then put in plastic bag and chill for half an hour, or freeze. When you want pie, roll out the dough, turning and flouring often, and line a piepan with one, letting some dough hang over the edge, then dump in the chcken mix, wet the edge of the dough with a wet finger, and put another round of dough on top. Fold under the edge, and poke a few holes in the crust to let the steam escape. Bake at 375°f for about 45 minutes, or til the crust is nicely brown and delicious-looking. Or freeze unbaked, and then bake from frozen for about an hour.

Let the pie cool for a few minutes, so that the gravy cools and sets a bit, or it'll run all over, when you cut into it...it'll do that, too, if the white sauce was thin to begin with. Better yet, make individual ones...more yummy crust, that way.
          http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
          http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Turkey sandwiches, bag of Doritos and a bottle of Mountain Dew.

Comment

I ate the $6.00 steak plate from the BBQ Steak Wagon just ouside of the Marukai $0.99 store off Ward Ave. Ono steak, rice, tossed salad and a soda for $6.00, good eating!

Comment

Two delicious California Rolls made fresh from BBQ HUT in Kalihi-Palama!

$1.50 each

Auntie Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Mixed plate of beef, lamb and chicken at The Greek Corner.

Comment

Ham and cheese sandwiches, turkey sandwich and a bottle of water.

Comment

I bought Fresh Butterfish Filets (2) and frying it on my stove as I type.

Steaming two Hot Pasteles. Yummy!!!

Of course as a side dish, Fresh ahi poki w/shoyu and green onions!

Ooops! And da Poi.

Happy Aloha Friday!!!

Auntie Lynn
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Sauerkraut pizza. Home-made bread dough, tomato sauce, canned kraut, swiss cheese. Don't knock it, til you've tried it!
                        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

A six-inch turkey sub (pepperjack cheese, toasted on plain white) from Subway. Walked past a huge crowd gathered for a surf shop liquidation sale... which explained the folks walking around downtown with surfboards!

Comment

Angust burger from Keawe Grill in Kalihi near the Kapalama Post Office. A little on the expensive side ($7.25) but it was a really big burger that tasted really good. I would recommend it!

Saw all those folks walking around downtown with the surfboards too and couln't figure out what was going on. Thanks for the explanation.

Comment

ham and cheese sammich and salad at Ryan's.

Comment

Had the $4 bento from HCC's bookstore. Was pretty good, had rice, chicken, a hotdog, takuan, and the cutest little andagi I've ever seen. Drank Arizona green tea.
                                myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

Working...
                                X