Sailing video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sailing video

mahalo for the boat ride, nothing beats feeling the sun and hearing the ocean, and getting away from- all the city traffic.

Comment

Re: Sailing photos

This isn't for a video either, but still... click on this link here for some amazing sailing photos.
      First are some photos of several classic old wooden boats (including Santana, the classic schooner that used to belong to Humphrey Bogart) at a recent Master Mariner's Regatta in San Francisco.
      Then there's a series of photos of some 40' racing catamarans. Check out the second and third photos in that series!
      Lastly, there's a photo of the brand new 287' (!!!) Maltese Falcon, one of the largest sailing yachts in the world.

Edited to add: There is a sequence of 11 more photos of the 40' catamaran capsize at this link. Especially note the last four photos in the series. YIKES!
      Last edited by LikaNui; May 31, 2006, 03:40 PM. Reason: added another link

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Re: Sailing slideshow

Check out this link here for a slideshow (about three dozens photos) from the May 28, 2006, Swiftsure Race in the Strait of Juan de Fuca.
        It's a big racing catamaran doing a spectacular crash-and-burn.
        (And it's just a coincidence that my recent links have been to catamaran crashes, by the way.)

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
          just a coincidence that my recent links have been to catamaran crashes
          no maitai cat cruise for YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
            no maitai cat cruise for YOU!
            Geez. I knew you were going to say that.
            I actually love cats. Used to race 'em, and if I were to get another cruising boat I'd go for a cat too: http://www.gunboat.info/home.html or maybe this one http://www.catamarans.com/lagoon/500/l500_layouts.asp which a friend of mine has sailed over about 3/4 of the planet. (Their main page is at http://www.cata-lagoon.com/UK/frameset_uk.html .)
            And I drool every time I look at http://multihullcompany.com/ .
            So... puhleeze can I go on the cruise now?

Comment

I haven't had time to watch the whole thing yet but here's a 13-minute video of extreme kiteboarding. There's also supposed to be some footage of a sailboat sinking in there, so I guess it's relevant to this thread.
              I believe it's a monohull that sinks, and not a catamaran.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                So... puhleeze can I go on the cruise now?
                sure, you can go now.

We won't be there for a week or two, but say hola to da captain for us.

Comment

Re: Sailing

Interesting story entitled Ghost ship reaches Big Isle after 4,500 miles adrift:
                  "A derelict, battered 33-foot sailboat abandoned in rough weather off Costa Rica last year apparently drifted for six months and more than 4,500 miles before it was sighted a few miles off the southwestern coast of the Big Island."
                  Click the link to see a photo.

It's also in the Star-Bulletin, with another photo, at this link.

Comment

Simply stunning: Photos and story of the brand-new 287' Maltese Falcon.
                    Among the quotes:
                    "It took a lot of money to have the boat built, of course, but it took just as much courage and faith. Who else but a man with a hands-on science background and a lifetime of backing technological innovations would have had the courage to put a unique and untested three-masted rig on a boat that took seven years to complete?"
                    and
                    "There were no untoward effects from the revolutionary rig. The automatic tacking worked smoothly in all wind strengths. Tacking only takes 1.5 minutes"
                    ("Only"? Sheesh, I'm used to tacking in just a few seconds, not a minute and a half. But then I'm not used to a 287' boat, either. )
                    One more quote:
                    "The photos were taken from our tender, whose crew got soaked keeping up with the gliding Falcon. The day proceeded so perfectly that we finished all our tests and returned to the harbor a little earlier than planned. We had 85 people aboard, some guests, but mostly technicians of all types, who found little of concern, and thus, had a great day out."
                    85 people aboard. No problem.
                    Anyway, click the link to enjoy the story and photos.

Comment

Re: Sailing photos

There's 59 photos of the new 287' Maltese Falcon at this link. Once there, click on the View More Photos link.

(Is anybody actually enjoying these links or should I quit posting 'em?)

Comment

Re: Boating booboo

"A 65-year-old man was arrested on various felony charges last night after he allegedly crashed the car he was driving into a parked car on Ala Moana Boulevard, then crashed an 81-foot power boat into several moored vessels in the Ala Wai Small Boat Harbor while trying to elude police."

Full story at this link. What an idiot.

Comment

yea, he IS an idiot; one of the crashed boats was mine!

Comment

yea, he IS an idiot; one of the crashed boats was mine!
                            OMG! I hope you're insured, Kimo. How bad is it?

Comment

joooke. jokejokejoke, dumb joke! so solly! my bad!

Comment

joooke. jokejokejoke, dumb joke! so solly! my bad!
                                Gee, I got "whooshed". My bad.
                                Now I've gotta go back to the store and try to get a refund for the Deepest Sympathy card I bought for ya.

Comment

Working...
                                X