Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Daiei --> Don Quijote

Aloha
    Whenever we visit Hawaii, the first place we head for is DAIEI in search for those ugly rust colored Ka'u or Kona oranges. Sometimes they were only $.79 a pound. Cheap ! We always bought all we could carry back to the hotel.
    Boy,- what I wouldn't give to have one right now. Can anyone tell me if you've seen them yet in the DQ store? I sure hope they continue to have them available. Too bad they can't be exported to the Mainland. It would sure help out our hard working Hawaiian farmers. It makes me mad that we can't even get produce from our own US farmers. Someday, maybe things will change.

Comment

I may be wrong on this, but a few years ago Morton Basaan who used to have the big Ka'u orange farm went out of business. He was the victim of agriculture theft in a big way. He would come to Honolulu and see his oranges in supermarkets that he never sold his fruit to.

I don't know if someone else is growing Ka'u oranges on a large scale.

Links: Google links to Morton Basaan @ StarBulletin.com
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

He never got any real help from the authorities or the retailers who bought the stolen oranges.

The farmer here who shot the intruder trying to steal farm equipment was jailed. Can't win either way.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
          He never got any real help from the authorities or the retailers who bought the stolen oranges. The farmer here who shot the intruder trying to steal farm equipment was jailed. Can't win either way.
          Several bills were put into the legislature to help Mr. Basaan and other farmers with agriculture theft. As I vaguely recall none passed. At least the ones I know of.

On the subject of the Kahuku farmer who shot a thief on his property, his murder charge was dismissed on a technicalitiy.

Man's Murder Charge Dismissed

Kahuku Farmer cleared of murder charge
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Mahalo to Mel and oceanpacific for the info. I do recall reading about this in the H S-B but I didn't know that Mr Basaan was forced to give up his business. It's a darn shame when our hard working farmers are kept from making an honest living,--whether it be oranges, bananas, pineapple, papaya or whatever.
            lovehawaii

Comment

As reported in today's Honolulu Advertiser...

Don Quijote buying land under its store
              Alexander & Baldwin Inc. is selling the land below the Don Quijote Co. discount store near Ala Moana Center to the Japan-based retailer.
              A&B purchased the 4-acre property from CEC Hawaii, Inc. in 2002 for $19.3 million.

Around that same year, Walmart paid in the neighborhood of $35 million for the 10.5 acre Keeaumoku (er Koreamoku) property.

Factor in current market prices, and it looks like DQ may pay nearer to what WM paid for less than half the amount of real estate. Still, it's in DQ's best interest to acquire that.
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

With this purchase I think the people in the neighborhood can breathe a sigh of relief. It would seem Don Quijote will keep the property in supermarket retail and hopefully not develop it into a high rise as A & B once proposed.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Got2HaVKaYaNoW View Post
                  Don Who? gezz I still call it HOLIDAY MART!! LOL

KaYa T.
                  Same here.

Originally posted by Got2HaVKaYaNoW View Post
                  ...shoot now its Don Peyote...

KaYa T.
                  Lol. That is exactly what I call it when people don't know what Holiday Mart was.
                  Sing with me, everyone!
                  "Some folk'll never eat a skunk, but then again, some folk'll..."
                  like your mama, the slack-jawed yok'll.
                  --------------------------------------------------------------
                  http://www.haleakalatimes.com/ <--- better than MTV
                  The Nettle Caterpillar Must DIE!!!
                  http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/IP-22.pdf

Comment

Re: Daiei --&gt; Don Quijote

Originally posted by mel View Post
                    I may be wrong on this, but a few years ago Morton Basaan who used to have the big Ka'u orange farm went out of business. He was the victim of agriculture theft in a big way. He would come to Honolulu and see his oranges in supermarkets that he never sold his fruit to.

I don't know if someone else is growing Ka'u oranges on a large scale.

Links: Google links to Morton Basaan @ StarBulletin.com
                    Sad to the farmers about the ag. theft...and those were some damn good (and huge) oranges. The sweetest.
                    Sing with me, everyone!
                    "Some folk'll never eat a skunk, but then again, some folk'll..."
                    like your mama, the slack-jawed yok'll.
                    http://www.haleakalatimes.com/ <--- better than MTV
                    The Nettle Caterpillar Must DIE!!!
                    http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/IP-22.pdf

Comment

• Re: Daiei --&gt; Don Quijote

Originally posted by mel View Post
                      With this purchase I think the people in the neighborhood can breathe a sigh of relief. It would seem Don Quijote will keep the property in supermarket retail and hopefully not develop it into a high rise as A & B once proposed.
                      Perhaps. Although I think that building is getting a little long in the tooth. Perhaps they have plans to demolish and rebuild.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                        Perhaps. Although I think that building is getting a little long in the tooth. Perhaps they have plans to demolish and rebuild.
                        That would be GREAT. And long needed.
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Yes that building is quite old and could use some updating. Long overdue I think.
                          Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

Check out Lee Cataluna's take on Don Quijote in this morning's advertiser. I think her take is right on! Don Quijote is a crazy mix ... that's why I love it.

Comment

It's like a gigantic BAZAAR ................ and I still refer to them as HOLIDAY MART!

Comment

Working...
                              X